PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your HOWTO needs

x1a4
February 3rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hi,

A few months ago I got me a Web site (http://hex1a4.net/) containing a Xubuntu section (http://xubuntu.hex1a4.net/). So far I've written three HOWTOs for it and would like to do more but lack ideas. What are some of the things you would like to be able to do on your *buntu system but don't know how and don't feel like researching? Let me know and I'll do the work for you.

Thank you.

PS If you feel like doing it, I would appreciate a critique of the site. Thanks.

Ultra Magnus
February 3rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
DVB-T sticks - I still haven't managed to get my freecom stick to work

Nessa
February 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
How to put Xubuntu on another user account... (main account is Gnome)

hhhhhx
February 3rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
how to tri-sli 3 nvidia 8800 ultra's in feorda, its ni-impossible

LostMagix
February 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM
How to get up my side tilt on my scroll wheal to work....

x1a4
February 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I've had a very busy week and couldn't look into your requests but should be have some time next week.

Ultra Magnus: Which revision is your DVB, 4 or earlier?

Nessa: What do you mean by putting Xubuntu on another account? You can just install the xubuntu-desktop package, select Xfce when you're logging in, and when asked tell GDM to start Xfce by default, or change your user's ~/.dmrc like so:

[Desktop]
Session=xfce4

x1a4
February 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
How to get up my side tilt on my scroll wheal to work....

What kind of mouse is it? Manufacturer, model?

LostMagix
February 16th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Rocketfish 2,4

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pc-84-3-rocketfish-24ghz-wireless-laser-mouse.aspx

I got three days left to get it working.

gn2
February 16th, 2008, 09:30 AM
How to put Xubuntu on another user account... (main account is Gnome)

Switch to the user you want to have Xubuntu, then run
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Then select XFCE under Sessions at log-in.

gn2
February 16th, 2008, 09:31 AM
How-to: Create a GUI Menu Editor for XFCE that actually works properly......?

billgoldberg
February 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
The thing that I have always wanted and never found (I did find how-to's but they were to hard) was network how-to's.

Like setting up file sharing between 2 ubuntu boxes (2 computers hooked to the router).

Or file sharing between ubuntu and windows.

Could be samba, shh, ftp, ...

The problem with the existing how-to's is they all presume you know something about networks.

So a drop-dead easy how-to were every step is explained (every!!!).

And the commands should always be explained to.

x1a4
February 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Okay, first something I should have mentioned in my original post. Please don't ask about hardware issues as I'm not going to buy things that may not work with Linux nor just to add content to my site. Although I will try to help those of you who posted already, starting with LostMagix since he's on a clock. Also, please don't ask about Gnome or KDE specific issues as I don't use them. Xfce, AfterStep, FVWM-Crystal are OK.

gn2: creating the menu is beyond my capabilities. To create a better menu editor for Xfce you first have to learn C, get Xfce's source, learn about freedesktop.org's menu rules, modify Xfce menu, and recompile Xfce. There should be a freedesktop.org-compliant menu in Xfce5.

LostMagix: I think I have a solution for you but you will have to test for me, so be sure you backup everything so that you'll be able to undo if something doesn't work. Also, be sure to tell me if the mose works but not the way it's supposed to--along with what exactly it is doing. Please also tell me if it does work.

Here's what I came up with to get your rocketfish going.

Step 1

Open a terminal and get root priviledges:
sudo -s

Step 2

create a device node for the mouse:
mknod -m 0644 /dev/input/rocketfishmouse b 2 4
(the lone b is not a typo--it tells mknod that a block device is being created. The 2 and 4 are not the value twentyfour, they're separate.

You should probably skip this step until we get the mouse working properly.

Step 3

Create a udev rule by creating the following file:

/etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
(the 10 at the beginning of the file name is important)

add the following to it:

KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Rocketfish Products.", SYSFS{product}=="Rocketfish Wireless Laser Mouse", NAME=="input/rocketfishmouse", MODE=="0644"
(it's all one line)

If you haven't created the device node in Step 2, replace input/rocketfishmouse with an available event node which is something like this: input/event#. Where # is a number from 0 to 6. Check to see which of these nodes are in use like so:

ls -l /dev/input/by-id/
ls -l /dev/input/by-path/

The symlinks in those directories will point to device nodes in /dev/input/ Use one that's not being used.

Step 4

Add the following to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "RocketfishMouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "evdev"
Device "/dev/input/rocketfishmouse"
Option "Dev Name" "Rocketfish Wireless Laser Mouse"
Option "Buttons" "9"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7 8 9"
EndSection

the "Dev Name" option must be identical to the device name in the udev rule we defined in Step 3

If you skipped Step 2, replace /dev/input/rocketfishmouse with /dev/input/event#. Where # is the same number you specified in Step 3.

Change the mouse's InputDevice entry in Section "ServerLayout" to "RocketfishMouse"

Step 5

Execute:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 4 5 6 7"

Step 6

Restart X:
/etc/init.d/gdm restart

If you skipped Step 2 and everything works fine, replace all instances of input/event# with input/rocketfishmouse and create the node as specified in Step 2.

If your first test is Firefox, and it doesn't work reconfigure Firefox. In about:config

Set
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action=0 and
mousewheel.horizscroll.*

drfox
February 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I have a laptop which I would like to backup to a SMB share on a Buffalo LinkStation. How do I configure the laptop to backup only when it's on the home network (and not, for example, at Starbucks)?

Larry

TeaSwigger
February 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Never mind, just read page 2.

LostMagix
February 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Didnt seem to work, not sure what went wrong....

madking
February 17th, 2008, 06:09 PM
how to get my kubuntu system to auto mount/detect usb, without having to insert them on bootup. I have a novetell wireless card, thats usb, but i have to have it pluged in at boot up, and if i remove it after, i have to reboot to get it detected again.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I know this isnt a how too request but ...

Hows about wallpapers that are bigger than 1024x768

LostMagix
February 19th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I wil be leaving in the morning, so you dont have to worry about the HowTo.

Thanks for gesture, i just have not had the time to figure it out.

rabid9797
February 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM
HOWTO: Fix Bug #1 ?

x1a4
February 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
Didnt seem to work, not sure what went wrong....

Did the whole mouse stop working or just the tilt that didn't work?

Try reconfiguring xorg.conf like so:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "RocketfishMouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event#"
Option "Buttons" "10"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 8 9"
EndSection

If this doesn't work change "ZAxisMapping" to "4 5 6 7" as well as change the Driver to "evdev" and comment the "Protocol" option. Try different combinations.

x1a4
February 22nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
I wil be leaving in the morning, so you dont have to worry about the HowTo.

Thanks for gesture, i just have not had the time to figure it out.

Oh. Sorry I couldn't help. :( It seems like a nice mouse, it's a shame it doesn't work fully. Although I'm sure it's possible to get it working. It's just a matter of setting the right button mapping.

x1a4
February 22nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
I know this isnt a how too request but ...

Hows about wallpapers that are bigger than 1024x768

Wallpaper Review (http://www.wallpaperreview.com/widescreen.html) has links to sites with large wallpapers.
Widescreen Wallpaper (http://www.widescreenwallpaper.info/)
Sexy Desktop (http://www.sexydesktop.co.uk/)

Chris Morin
February 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
How to get Compiz working with an ATI X1400 grafics card