PDA

View Full Version : Recording Industry Hard at work

KingBahamut
September 23rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
CNET reports that IFPI representatives are pushing a new piece of software to delete filesharing programs. It will also 'search computers for music and movies and remove any illegal copies'." From the article: "Digital File Check is easy to use and can help people prevent their employees, children and others from illegally downloading and swapping movies ... It could be especially useful for parents who want to encourage their children to enjoy music responsibly on the Internet ... It is free, voluntary and for private use only and does not tip off any antipiracy organizations.

http://www.ifpi.org/dfc/downloads/dfc.html
http://news.com.com/Record+labels+tout+program+to+disable+swapping/2100-1027_3-5876687.html

This is soooo cool, I wonder if they have a Linux package for this yet? Ima go install this on my machine via Wine, and just watch and see if it really does not tip off the antipiracy trolls.

xequence
September 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
Ugh, I HATE the RIAA. They have a bad business model. Compared to them, microsoft is nothing!

Nowadays music just plain sucks. An album is 15-25$ and they have 12 songs, each two or three minutes long. Back before I was born, music was good. Bands/artists cared about making a quality record, giving the best experience possible to their fans. If you look at the music downloaded on P2P, its mostly old songs. FOr me, ive downloaded 1000+ songs. Maybe 1/10 or 2/10 of it was made in the last 10 years... Its rare to get a good album these days, and the exception that I noticed was motley crue - red, white, and crue. It was accually the only album ive ever bought. It isnt even new music anyway, its a greatest hits album.

mcduck
September 23rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well, Tommi Kyyrä of IFPI Finland has just told us that ability to play music on a computer is a 'privilege', not our right :D

"Now, we need to understand that listening to music on your computer is an extra privilege. Normally people listen to music on their car or through their home stereos," said Kyyrä. "If you are a Linux or Mac user, you should consider purchasing a regular CD player."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050922-5339.html

xequence
September 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Well, Tommi Kyyrä of IFPI Finland has just told us that ability to play music on a computer is a 'privilege', not our right :D

"Now, we need to understand that listening to music on your computer is an extra privilege. Normally people listen to music on their car or through their home stereos," said Kyyrä. "If you are a Linux or Mac user, you should consider purchasing a regular CD player."

Thats outrageous! I used to have a signature that said "Ill manage my own digital rights, thank you very much" and it basically still stands true. If I accually buy a CD, which is rare, I want complete control over it. I want to rip it, I want to put it on my mp3 player, I want to put it on other CDs, etc.

Last edited by KingBahamut : Today at 02:09 PM. Reason: Calm down.
Can you please PM me what I said that was wrong?

Maggot
September 23rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Seriously, how can this program tell what's "illegal" and what's not ???

mstlyevil
September 23rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
Seriously, how can this program tell what's "illegal" and what's not ???
They are going to tag all legitimate music produced with a code of some type. Everything before will be considred illegitimate weather you paid for it or not. They are nothing more but greedy a holes.

MetalMusicAddict
September 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
This is soooo cool, I wonder if they have a Linux package for this yet? Ima go install this on my machine via Wine, and just watch and see if it really does not tip off the antipiracy trolls.
Dude you the man. F'in gave me a big laugh. Thanx for the info.

Guys. Try not to beat a extreamly dead horse here. WE have all seen a 1000 threads on hundreds of fourms discussing feelings/thoughts on piracy.

As for this app, its a laugh. What person would use it? Maybe corperations who wanna make sure such things arent on their networks. Any computer savy parent would know if their kids were doin it and I know tons who dont care (they should). Any parent who isnt savy wouldnt know to use it. On the off chance they do their kids would find it and get rid of it.

Well, Tommi Kyyrä of IFPI Finland has just told us that ability to play music on a computer is a 'privilege', not our right

This guy is out of touch. Ive been buying CDs for 17 {'88} years now. With my iRiver H340 and my HTPC I havnt listened to a actual CD in 4 years. I own it. Personal copying in the US is fair-use. Its not format specific. ;)

daveisadork
September 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
The download site appears to be down. Perhaps they could distribute it via BitTorrent... or is that considered evil? :roll:

scourge
September 23rd, 2005, 11:03 PM

Sadly, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm really really trying to understand the logic in our new copyright law proposal but all I see is a gigantic mess. I've been mostly reading about it here: http://www.mbnet.fi/net.nyt/juttu.aspx?id=838 (a Finnish site, sorry).

The most ridiculous thing about the law proposal is probably this one: if I legally buy an audio cd and then bypass the copy protection so that I could play the cd in Linux I'm guilty of a criminal act and will get fined, but if I choose to download the album from a p2p network I haven't done anything criminal. WTF? Am I the only one who thinks that the record companies and artists who support this law are shooting themselves in the foot?

Lovechild
September 23rd, 2005, 11:33 PM

I can't remember the last time I played a cd, I buy them, rip them in to Ogg Vorbis and then I put them in rhythmbox.

It's literally the first thing that happens after that annoying shrinkwrap is forcefully removed from the cover, fire up Sound-juicer, after that the space taking CD is stored away for safe keeping.

BoyOfDestiny
September 24th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I haven't used it, nor would I try. From what I've heard though, the program is basically: delete *.mp3 /s

weasel fierce
September 24th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Part of why Im mainly listening to indie bands, that you can download legally.

mcduck
September 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Sadly, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm really really trying to understand the logic in our new copyright law proposal but all I see is a gigantic mess. I've been mostly reading about it here: http://www.mbnet.fi/net.nyt/juttu.aspx?id=838 (a Finnish site, sorry).

The most ridiculous thing about the law proposal is probably this one: if I legally buy an audio cd and then bypass the copy protection so that I could play the cd in Linux I'm guilty of a criminal act and will get fined, but if I choose to download the album from a p2p network I haven't done anything criminal. WTF? Am I the only one who thinks that the record companies and artists who support this law are shooting themselves in the foot?
Well, how about forbidding import of CD's, DVD's, comics and other books from outside of Europe? (You can import for your personal use, but selling is forbidden)

The most interesting thing is still the way the new law was prepared by people with connections to record companies, and the fact that they have been giving false informations about contents of the new law to public. And they still do that.. And then there was those two adresses from artists that were said to support the new law, only that one was actually signed 29.4. before adding copy protection and DRM-related stuff to law, and the other seems to be false also as at least one of artists that 'signed' it has already said that she has newer even seen such thing?

In general, the new law pretty much ingnores all consumers rights. So you buy a 22€ CD and you actually get nothing but a piece of plastic with no rights to it's content..

Kvark
September 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Part of why Im mainly listening to indie bands, that you can download legally.
Same here. :-)

It's time to switch to Free music that you are actually allowed to listen to. In the same manner as it's time to switch to Free software that you are actually allowed to use.

scourge
September 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Well, how about forbidding import of CD's, DVD's, comics and other books from outside of Europe? (You can import for your personal use, but selling is forbidden)

Yeah, that sucks royally, and unlike the copy protection part of the law this will actually have an impact if it's reinforced. I think it's a situation where nobody wins: Finnish small businesses will be put down, and the people will just download their anime from p2p without paying anyone.

The most interesting thing is still the way the new law was prepared by people with connections to record companies, and the fact that they have been giving false informations about contents of the new law to public. And they still do that.. And then there was those two adresses from artists that were said to support the new law, only that one was actually signed 29.4. before adding copy protection and DRM-related stuff to law, and the other seems to be false also as at least one of artists that 'signed' it has already said that she has newer even seen such thing?

Yeah, the whole thing just stinks. Had we never joined the EU there would be no chance in hell of passing this kind of laws, but now it looks like we're just puppets.

M7S
September 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM

This is just sad. I thought things like this only happened in other parts of the world. I thought that we still lived in a working democracy. In a country that has laws like the every-mans-right, you wouldn't expect this kind of nonsense. Copy protection should be illegal, bypassing it shouldn't. I'm proud to be a Finn but if this law proposal gets approved, I will be as ashamed of being a Finn as I was when the Finish skiing team was caught using dopes (I was on vacation in Sweden when that happened and I did my best to hide my nationality ;)).

I'm sorry for this rant, but I had to get it of my chest as this makes me feel really down. Let's hope this proposal finds it's right place, in the bottom of a garbage can.

Regards,
M7S

lyam_kaskade
September 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM
It's time to switch to Free music that you are actually allowed to listen to. In the same manner as it's time to switch to Free software that you are actually allowed to use.

This is something I've been wondering about. Could the open source model be somehow applied to the music industry? If so, would they still be able to make money (in the same way Red Hat uses an open source model, but still makes money by selling support for it(at least I think thats how it works)).

Kvark
September 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM
This is something I've been wondering about. Could the open source model be somehow applied to the music industry? If so, would they still be able to make money (in the same way Red Hat uses an open source model, but still makes money by selling support for it(at least I think thats how it works)).
Artists could make money on playing live at various events. The famous ones have concerts and festivals, birthday parties might be more in level for garage bands, nightclubs would be something in between. I'd imagine many commercials and movies need custom made music. The ones that are celebtrities can make money by saying they love a certain make up product or visit a talk show. Many governments hand out tax money to the culture sector.

Besides, people often download music illegaly or listen to the radio first and then buy it if they like it. If you had the options to either download feely legally or buy it then people would probably still buy the songs they like as a tribute to their favourite artists. But not in the same extent as today.

The artists would still make money if music was Free but they would make less. And record companies would probably not survive if artists got their money from concerts and fan tributes instead of record sales.

Commercial music is not Free but it is actually very much 'open source'. Artists make covers on each others' song texts (thats like using each others' source code right?) and copy each others' styles (would result in patent lawsuits if it was commercial software) a lot.

skirkpatrick
September 24th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that most artists make almost nothing from albums unless they are a big name. They mostly make their money from tours which is why some groups do a lot of touring rather than spend time in the recording studio.

weasel fierce
September 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM
The majority of money, when you buy a CD, goes not to the artists but their record company, and the retailer in question. Some of course covers distribution and such