PDA

View Full Version : petetion to ban rant threads!

Masterj15
February 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know if threads are deleted when it comes to some guy trying to rant about how Ubuntu is not good. I'm sick of people who do that. (In my mind I think that flaming them is cool to read but, that is just my opinion. lolol:lolflag:) Take your rant some where else and always be a positives influence on this community. I have to go so I write more latter.

Cya

kellemes
February 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
And ranting Windows? To be banned also?

walkerk
February 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Freedom of speech.

p_quarles
February 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
"Ubuntu isn't user-friendly" threads generally get moved to the Testimonials & Experiences thread. If a thread crosses the line into pure flamebait, it's more likely to get deleted altogether.

Red Shift
February 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Do you know who else banned ranting?

rune0077
February 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Refused to vote, since you left out the option "People are allowed to let off some steam, so of course we should keep the posts, since it's up to other people whether they want to read it or not". That's the only one I would vote for.

I agree with above poster, we should delete every and all posts that are posted with the sole intention on mocking Windows/Macs, since this is a Linux forum about Ubuntu - for the same reasons, mocking/ranting against Ubuntu is perfectly okay (where else would you go and do that?)

PriceChild
February 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't think any of us want to be seen as censoring comments. We would get a lot more negative criticism for it.

Threads that turn sour will normally be locked to prevent the "car crash" scenario.

matthew
February 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
You can vote and rant if you want to do so. I will say that unless a post violates the Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy), either in content or demeanor, it will not be removed. Replies are treated in the same way. FYI, flaming is always prohibited.

There is no plan to change this policy. :)

Lord Illidan
February 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
I don't mind criticism, indeed I welcome it. It's the guys who come here with the intention to troll and flamebait that incite me and my colleagues. I believe we already banned one of them today.

DeadSuperHero
February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
I think maybe a better solution is to merge all the rant threads into one mega rant thread.

bruce89
February 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Why is there no "You must be mad" option in the poll?

hhhhhx
February 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I think maybe a better solution is to merge all the rant threads into one mega rant thread.

why not just make another section for rant threads. like the backyard, but for rants. :)

kamaboko
February 2nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
how about we ban polls?

jrusso2
February 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
How do you expect Linux to grow if you don't accept and listen to constructive criticism. Some times I think we forget how frustrating Linux can be and many of the problems remain.

fwojciec
February 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
This thread really seems like a rant about rants; a meta-rant in you will... According to his/her own logic the OP should ban him/herself :D

Masterj15
February 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
who are you?

anyway, I like the backyard rant idea. I keep seeing rant threads each and every time I type Programming in the search engine. lolol:lolflag:

zenwhen
February 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I personally would not like to see an action whatsoever taken to prevent people from ranting on these forums.

popch
February 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
who are you?

What - er - I'm me.

I do not take part in the poll because I do not like the options given. It's not obvious to me that OP expects us to honestly give an opinion there.

I see that we should and will accept opinions which might be a tad less than enthusiastic about our favorite distro.

Perhaps we could start some kind of contest which gives an award to the most creative, original, funny, fair, thoughtful, weird or (whatever) rant of the month?

Thus, we could even make the rants pay for their rents for the space and time they use up here.

Vorian
February 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Masterj15, should we start with this thread?

Warpnow
February 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
You only have on side of the poll as options.

I think they're fine and we should let them stay. Hanging around a linux forum makes windows users much more likely to notice how good it is, and it also shows us why some people don't like ubuntu- which lets us know we should change it, and it also shows the world how user friendly we are. :D

koleoptero
February 3rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
I opt for choice no3 :lolflag:

Masterj15
February 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I opt for choice no3 :lolflag:

Yeah, no3 seems more logical (or no4) then no.1 or 2. The pool was just for fun. lolol:lolflag: That is why the poll was not full rounded. lololol. The discussion was suppose to be a little more serous then the polls (which it has)

zugu
February 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I like criticism, but it must be my way.

Mark Twain.

Sporkman
February 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
This thread qualifies as a 'rant' against 'rants', or a metarant, if you will.

aysiu
February 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM
This is my general moderator approach to it: If the user is recounting her bad personal experiences with Ubuntu, I move it to Ubuntu Testimonials and Experiences and then urge the OP to create a support thread (if she hasn't already) or urge people who want to help her to go to the support thread she's already created (if she has already created one) If the user's rant consists mainly of generalizations of the "Linux isn't ready for the desktop" variety, I move it to Recurring Discussions. I may also link her to resources that allow you to make constructive change for Linux/Ubuntu and not just rant. If the user goes beyond a rant and decides to start personally attacking other forum members or start trolling, that's when the infractions come out.

notwen
February 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm all for leaving it up so we can 'flam' them. Everyone could use a good flam-ing here and there. =]

Sporkman
February 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm all for leaving it up so we can 'flam' them. Everyone could use a good flam-ing here and there. =]

I love it when people stop trying to spell things correctly and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Irihapeti
February 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
If we don't like rants, we have the option of not reading them. As long as it's easy to work out which threads are rants, it's easy enough to use that option. Most rant threads are pretty clear from their titles, I think.

DrMega
February 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
If people who'd had bad luck with Ubuntu kept quiet, then how could Ubuntu possibly move forward as it would be perceived to be perfect.

Also, how do you define rant? Is it when somebody is abusive or simply when someone burst the bubble of Ubuntu perfection by telling us that they'd experienced problems with it?

Masterj15
February 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
If people who'd had bad luck with Ubuntu kept quiet, then how could Ubuntu possibly move forward as it would be perceived to be perfect.

Also, how do you define rant? Is it when somebody is abusive or simply when someone burst the bubble of Ubuntu perfection by telling us that they'd experienced problems with it?

First question: I don't want them to keep quiet about their problems. (People certainly know I haven't) Their is a difference between asking how to fix it and "I hate Ubuntu". If you have a problem then ask in the right sub-forum. If you want to take it personally on people who were trying to help you then, I don't see why they need to stick around. I come from a forum that can tell the difference between when someone is genuinely wanting to leave Ubuntu because of circumstance and saying you are going to leave Ubuntu just so that the person can get some attention. I also don't like the fact that some people's opinion are not full rounded. Therefore, they talk alot of crap because they probably like windows in the first place.

Second question: Is your second question sarcastic? You can tell that I meant, "when someone is abusive". I wouldn't really care if they think they are trying to burst are bubble because most of their problems can be answered. So........... I just leave them to talk.

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
The beauty of these forums is that they are specifically friendlier then most other places on the internet, especially Windows centric forums. I know, I was a member of one for a long time until very recently when I realized I was wasting my time there.

So I came here to waste my time instead! :lolflag:

nutz
February 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know if threads are deleted when it comes to some guy trying to rant about how Ubuntu is not good. I'm sick of people who do that. (In my mind I think that flaming them is cool to read but, that is just my opinion. lolol:lolflag:) Take your rant some where else and always be a positives influence on this community. I have to go so I write more latter.

Cya

Lets not sink to Apple's level.

Masterj15
February 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
The beauty of these forums is that they are specifically friendlier then most other places on the internet, especially Windows centric forums. I know, I was a member of one for a long time until very recently when I realized I was wasting my time there.

So I came here to waste my time instead! :lolflag:

I'm from the TT forum which is 3 meaner than any other forum I know of. You pick on sincerity and people wanting attention really fast.

bigdidz
February 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Free internet is about free of mind. Even when we disagree. And, perhaps, it is the beauty of Linux and Internet.