PDA

View Full Version : PHP Session cookies -- where are they stored?

Sarteck
February 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hello, all,

I've got a question just out of morbid curiosity rather than anything going wrong with my scripts.

You see, I've got a site on a shared host, but use my Kubuntu box here at home for testing. After researching about sessions a while back, I learned that it's generally a Good Idea (TM) to set your session.save_path to something other than the world-readable /tmp, particularly if it would be a Bad Thing (TM) for other users on the shared host to be able to read your files.

So, I've got a include file with a global variable called at the beginning of each script. The variables in the 'ini_set' key of the array are all set through the ini_set() function in a foreach loop. Here's an edited example:

$TheGlobal['ini_set']['upload_tmp_dir'] = '/home/sarteck/thesite/temp/';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['upload_max_filesize'] = '500000000';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['post_max_size'] = '500000001';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['memory_limit'] = '500000002';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.save_path'] = '/home/sarteck/thesite/sessions';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.cookie_path'] = '/home/sarteck/thesite/sessions/cookies';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.gc_maxlifetime'] = '86400'; // One Day max lifetime
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.use_cookies'] = '1';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.use_only_cookies'] = '1';
$TheGlobal['ini_set']['session.cookie_lifetime'] = '0';
foreach ($TheGlobal['ini_set'] as $ini => $set) {ini_set($ini, $set);}

Using this setup, everything works fine and dandy, like I want it to. Session variables are saved for a sufficient amount of time, and things are seemingly secure. Everything works...

...but, I can't seem to find the actual cookie file anywhere! I've looked in /home/sarteck/thesite/sessions, /home/sarteck/thesite/sessions/cookies, in the "Master value" of /var/lib/php5 from my regular ini file, and even in /tmp, but can't find where the session cookie is stored on the server!

Granted, I don't really need to know--like I said, everything works fine. But it's just bugging me... I can find the cookie stored client-side (in the /home/sarteck/.mozilla/RANDDIR/sessionstore.js files, surprisingly, and not the cookies.txt file like I thought it would be), but not the server-side cookie. Anyone know where I should be looking?

ThinkBuntu
February 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
I imagine that it would be tough to find this data on your server for privacy reasons. You may want to see how apache and mod_php work with the data.

smartalecks
February 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ah, the magik of sessions :D

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6348/screenshotsessionsfilebpw2.png

<?php
ini_set('session.save_path', '/home/alecks/sessions');
session_start();
?>

is just the test script I made

Sarteck
February 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
@ThinkBuntu: Nah, the reason I want to -change- it on the shared server is for security reasons--I don't want my session cookies in a world-readable /tmp directory. If I left it at it's default, other users on the shared host could potentially access my site's users' sessions and hijack them (a remote possibility, but still a possibility).

Also, I like a little structure in dealing with my data, and storing each subdomain's sessions in their respective folders (for example, foo.sarteck.com would store it's sessions in /home/sarteck/foo/sessions, bar.sarteck.com would store it's session variables in /home/sarteck/bar/sessions, etc.) is ideal for me, as I can better control the security -and- keep the data sorted (and appease my curiosity all at once. :)

@smartalecks: That is pretty much what I have in my code (except I am setting a bunch of ini directives through an array with a foreach loop).

Solution?
In playing around with it for the past few hours, I finally broke down and set the save_path via the .htaccess file. And... It worked? Yes, yes it did. It -seems- that the cookie was getting stored at /var/lib/php5 (though I'm not exactly sure why it did not show up there earlier when I looked). My phpinfo(), when called after my set of "ini_set" declarations, looked thusly:
Directive Local Value Master Value
session.name PHPSESSID PHPSESSID
session.referer_check no value no value
session.save_handler files files
session.save_path /home/sarteck/fpj/sessions /var/lib/php5
session.serialize_handler php php
session.use_cookies On On
session.use_only_cookies On OffSo, obviously, it was indeed getting the session.save_path I passed via the "ini_set" command, as you can see under the "Local" column.

For some reason unbeknownst to me (but hopefully beknownst to you, the gurus, who can tell me what's going on), PHP basically said a big "F-U" to that Local directive, and just proceeded to happily use the Master value. Using the .htaccess file, I -forced- PHP to use the value I wanted... But I don't understand why the .htaccess would have precedence, and why it wouldn't work with ini_set in the first place.

Anyone with ideas is welcome to share them.

Side-note, on the shared server, the use of the .htaccess file for PHP value manipulation is unnecessary (though I use it for other things). So again, it's no huge deal--just my curiosity.