PDA

View Full Version : What if there was no compiz or beryl?

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I know this question will be a bit weird for some, but I remember the first time I tried Linux was after looking at Beryl and I know many people. Now that I know Linux I would use it regardless whether or not it had compiz or beryl, but would u?

hhhhhx
February 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
get linux, and start working on making my compiz/beril

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
get linux, and start working on making my compiz/beril
lol, yeah but would we have tried it if beryl didn't exist?

~LoKe
February 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
I was using Ubuntu before Compiz was even available, so yes. ;)

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
so u used beryl? ;)

Kingsley
February 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I was using Ubuntu before Compiz was even available, so yes. ;)
Same here.

~LoKe
February 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
so u used beryl? ;)

Er..no. Compiz was first. After that, a fork, Beryl, was made. Then they merged back together making Compiz-Fusion.

Whiffle
February 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I had linux before compiz or beryl were really even a thought. Its not pretty almost-useless graphics that got met to switch... (actually it was curiosity mostly)

FuturePilot
February 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes. There's too much I like about Ubuntu to not use it because of no compositing. I still use Ubuntu on my old laptop even though it can't handle Compiz. When I started using Ubuntu I didn't use Beryl for a few months. I only started using it when I really got to know my way around the system.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Er..no. Compiz was first. After that, a fork, Beryl, was made. Then they merged back together making Compiz-Fusion.
I know that I thought when u said compiz, u meant compiz fusion.

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
I can live without it really, though now I have my computer the way I like it I have the effects all going,

uways
February 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
All my friends use custom themes/skins on their ******* machines so (under extreme peer pressure) i beryl-ed the hell out of my ubuntu laptop sacrificing precious battery life (which Ubuntu doesn't give very much of) and performance. That said Beryl kicks any ******* through the a$$ up to the face.

But looking back at those pre-compositing days I would have to say Ubuntu (and other distros in general) was downright fugly if u ask me. Everything ran well, but I didn't get all excited when I started up my computer like I do now.

If it weren't for compiz-fusion I (dare i say it?) wouldn't be using Ubuntu as my only OS.

Plus, the first thing people get excited about when using my laptop is Compiz-fusion. It attracts more new users than anything else (unique to linux) based on my personal experience. That said, it has to be kept in mind that I'm surrounded by eye-candy freaks.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
All my friends use custom themes/skins on their ******* machines so (under extreme peer pressure) i beryl-ed the hell out of my ubuntu laptop sacrificing precious battery life (which Ubuntu doesn't give very much of) and performance. That said Beryl kicks any ******* through the a$$ up to the face.

But looking back at those pre-compositing days I would have to say Ubuntu (and other distros in general) was downright fugly if u ask me. Everything ran well, but I didn't get all excited when I started up my computer like I do now.

If it weren't for compiz-fusion I (dare i say it?) wouldn't be using Ubuntu as my only OS.

Plus, the first thing people get excited about when using my laptop is Compiz-fusion. It attracts more new users than anything else (unique to linux) based on my personal experience. That said, it has to be kept in mind that I'm surrounded by eye-candy freaks.
I agree Beryl was the biggest success in Linux according to me. Does anyone miss that effect from Beryl in which when u moved a window around and let it go then water waves would be released as it settled down, its kind of like how in OS X widgets settle on the screen. That was my favorite and they removed it.

~LoKe
February 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Bah, my WM doesn't even support Compiz/Beryl/Compiz Fusion. I'm better without it. Though, it runs like a hero on my hardware.

steveneddy
February 2nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Then I would probably get some work done.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
Bah, my WM doesn't even support Compiz/Beryl/Compiz Fusion. I'm better without it. Though, it runs like a hero on my hardware.
which window manager do u use?

~LoKe
February 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
which window manager do u use?

AwesomeWM.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
AwesomeWM.
is it this?
http://awesome.naquadah.org/screenshots/

hessiess
February 2nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
eyecandy=useless, wastes resorses. end of story

~LoKe
February 2nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
is it this?
http://awesome.naquadah.org/screenshots/

Yes sir. There's a link in my sig for the guide I wrote.

hellion0
February 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
If there was no Compiz/Beryl/C-F, I wouldn't be agonizing over trying to find a compatible video card for my system.

Wait... I don't agonize anyway. I don't tend to bother with it even on the system that can run it.

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
eyecandy=useless, wastes resorses. end of story

yeh but if you can run the bling you might as well show it off :D

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Yes sir. There's a link in my sig for the guide I wrote.

R u a hacker? :) This looks like a hacker's desktop environment, if u r then can u hack a few pc's for me? ;)

:lolflag: I am joking ok.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
yeh but if you can run the bling you might as well show it off :D
I agree, whats the point of having a powerful system if u don't get to show off.

bruce89
February 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
There would be Metacity (which is now a compositor) (http://blogs.gnome.org/metacity/2007/12/19/2215-is-out-with-the-compositor/).

TBH, I hate Compiz and its usability issues. Try moving between workspaces with the mousewheel over the pager or moving windows with the pager for instance.

The developers of Compiz seem to reject all bugs as "program you're having trouble with's fault" which is arrogant.

PurposeOfReason
February 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I was pre eye-candy so I wouldn't mind. But if compiz and bery weren't around, a lot of people would be switching to kde right now. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
There would be Metacity. TBH, I hate Compiz.

For me compiz actually is pretty decent, its certainly much better then aero.

bruce89
February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 PM
For me compiz actually is pretty decent, its certainly much better then aero.

What isn't?

Too many options for me, see ccsm.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
KDE 4's desktop effects aren't that bad either right? I know they don't match fusion but I think they r pretty decent.

misfitpierce
February 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Used before compiz or beryl was a big thing so yes... I would as I still do.

jrusso2
February 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I know this question will be a bit weird for some, but I remember the first time I tried Linux was after looking at Beryl and I know many people. Now that I know Linux I would use it regardless whether or not it had compiz or beryl, but would u?

When I started using Linux there was no compiz and about as fancy as it got was if you could get Real Player to work and be able to watch a video with sound was doing pretty good.

Personally I could do without compiz and I usually turn it off as I find it creates more problems then it works. I prefer stability over glitz.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
When I started using Linux there was no compiz and about as fancy as it got was if you could get Real Player to work and be able to watch a video with sound was doing pretty good.

Personally I could do without compiz and I usually turn it off as I find it creates more problems then it works. I prefer stability over glitz.
woah r u serious?

red_Marvin
February 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
I started using ubuntu somewhere when hoary hedgehog was out, that means before effects were the main priority, granted I still use it nothing fancy though, only smoothing the animations for minimizing windows etc.
Sorry, I always seem to write long sentences...
I do however always feel the need to switch to something lighter like dwm or fluxbox... ...maybe next install...

SunnyRabbiera
February 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
What isn't?

Too many options for me, see ccsm.

I dunno I like the features offered, so that it never becomes stagnant

miggols99
February 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
KDE 4's desktop effects aren't that bad either right? I know they don't match fusion but I think they r pretty decent.
KDE4's desktop effects aren't supposed to compete with Compiz Fusion. They are there for people that like to have integration with KDE.

Whiffle
February 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM

Ditto!! I havn't been in linux that long, but man, it was big news for me when I got usb mass storage hotplugging working under gentoo when i started in 02 or so. I thought it was really slick! Now, its...normal.

I usually shut off compz too, I don't see any reason to animate everything on my desktop, especially when you have to wait for the animation to finish before you can use something (fade-in stuff in particular). Same thing with desktop sounds, I mean, do I really need a sound to let me know that I did in fact start/shutdown/click/back/forward/etc/etc ?

bruce89
February 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM
woah r u serious?

Compiz didn't exist 2 years ago. It's hardly important software that you couldn't do without.

Dapper had version 0.0.2 by the way.