PDA

View Full Version : Waving at all the people. (My first post if you couldnt guess :P)

Chii
September 23rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Hello everyone :)

I'd been seeing and being told by my friends (on and off line) about how good linux was, so I finally gave in and started looking for a distribution, and after asking a ton of questions I was directed towards the Ubuntu distribution. Since it was more user friendly, easy to install, and use. So then last night I went to the website and downloaded the "Breezy Badger" version iso and stuck it on disc.

Today I installed it and while it may not be a big accomplishment by any means, I felt quite proud for not destroying my computer or the windows XP installation which still resides on here. Afterwards, I started looking around on the Ubuntu web page and found my way here.

From what Ive seen in the forums (mostly general and the beginners section) I get a nice, or at least more welcome feeling than Ive been able to get from other forums or irc rooms. Whose populations either seem condescending, on a high horse, or who can only seem to mutter rtfm despite the attempts that I have made to understand the articles on the many web pages which have only made me feel stupid in the end.

Well I think thats about all I have to say for now >.<
Sorry if my intro is rather scatter brained, but I was never the best with intros, hehe. Hope to talk with you all at one point or another :)

Have a nice day,
-Chii

stoffepojken
September 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Welcome :)

aysiu
September 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Your first impressions are correct. I don't know if Ubuntu as an OS is necessarily the most newbie-friendly out there, but the community is certainly up there in newb-friendliness, and for me that's what matters most.

mstlyevil
September 23rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
Hello everyone :)

I'd been seeing and being told by my friends (on and off line) about how good linux was, so I finally gave in and started looking for a distribution, and after asking a ton of questions I was directed towards the Ubuntu distribution. Since it was more user friendly, easy to install, and use. So then last night I went to the website and downloaded the "Breezy Badger" version iso and stuck it on disc.

Today I installed it and while it may not be a big accomplishment by any means, I felt quite proud for not destroying my computer or the windows XP installation which still resides on here. Afterwards, I started looking around on the Ubuntu web page and found my way here.

From what Ive seen in the forums (mostly general and the beginners section) I get a nice, or at least more welcome feeling than Ive been able to get from other forums or irc rooms. Whose populations either seem condescending, on a high horse, or who can only seem to mutter rtfm despite the attempts that I have made to understand the articles on the many web pages which have only made me feel stupid in the end.

Well I think thats about all I have to say for now >.<
Sorry if my intro is rather scatter brained, but I was never the best with intros, hehe. Hope to talk with you all at one point or another :)

Have a nice day,
-Chii

Welcome to the community. You might have some issues with Breezy badger because it is a prerelease and not a stable release yet. I recommend you download and install Hory Hedgehog right now until the stable release of breezy Badger is out. Hory hedgehog has a users guide and complete wiki whereas most of the support for Badger Issues is on the development thread. But if you are feeling a little more adventurous, by all means continue on with Badger. Linux is about choices and that is what makes this community so stong.

Wolki
September 23rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Since it was more user friendly, easy to install, and use. So then last night I went to the website and downloaded the "Breezy Badger" version iso and stuck it on disc.

Welcome. Your using the beta-version of ubuntu, so it could still break. It will go final on October 13, I suggest you're careful with updates until then :)

gw90se
September 23rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
, but the community is certainly up there in newb-friendliness, and for me that's what matters most.

That's the reason I am here, too. I played with a few distros, but got very annoyed at the responses I recieved from the various forums. Heard about Ubuntu and visted the forums first. Liked what i saw and how newbies were treated. Download and never loooked back.

Chii
September 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
Ah... I suppose I dont mind being adventerous with this version, because if it breaks since I did the scary part already, which was the really a matter of setting up partitions. Because if it breaks I have the discs sitting here and I could reinstall it and not download the offending package next time :p.

And so far Ive not had really many problems. The only problem being one update not installing, but so far nothing else. hehe.

Also thank you for the welcomes :) It surprises me to see people answering so quickly to my post as opposed to just ignoring it and letting it sift down to the bottom of the pile, lol.

endy
September 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Welcome, I hope you enjoy ubuntu as much as I do :)

On a side note I wonder why your post count isn't working:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3391/screenshot2em.th.png (http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2em.png) :)

RastaMahata
September 23rd, 2005, 08:10 PM

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3391/screenshot2em.th.png (http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2em.png) :)
0 posts... weird...

Anyway, welcome. :D

Chii
September 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
I noticed that too.... Though I was thinking that it just didnt count the posts which where made in the community forum, lol.

Anyways post count doesn't matter as much for me, I just enjoy talking to people and helping when I can :P

*edit* Had to correct a typo which made me look rather bad ._.

weasel fierce
September 24th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Welcome aboard :)

Plenty of n00bs here, and this is without a doubt one of the friendliest online communities I have seen

Goober
September 24th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Welcome!

Yup, this is a very newb-friendly zone, and Ubuntu is fairly user-friendly in general for Linux. Any questions, just ask away!

Well, maybe don't ask me, I usually get things working by trial and error, mostly error. But ask the people who know what they are talking about ;)

poofyhairguy
September 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I noticed that too.... Though I was thinking that it just didnt count the posts which where made in the community forum, lol.

Anyways post count doenst matter as much for me, I just enjoy talking to people and helping when I can :P

We can always use another intellegent member in the community. Welcome.

majikstreet
September 24th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Welcome!

If you haven't posted anywhere but the Community Chat, I think I know why your post count does that. I believe that posts in Community Chat don't add to your total post count.

-Rick-
September 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Welcome :)

Your postcount won't increase in this forum section ;)

endy
September 24th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Aha, I learn something new everyday here :)

YourSurrogateGod
September 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Sup Chii.

BTW, Chobits rocked :D .

Chii
September 30th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Thank you for the welcomes, and I guess I will be at zero posts for a while though as I generally try to work something out before I go on irc or come to ask for help. Though I hope I do learn enough to actually get to help others. Also yes Chobits does rock, hehe it was the first anime series I really watched and I love it the most :D

Chii
July 30th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Hmmm I dont know if this is the right way to go about doing it, but I figure since Ive already said hi once, that I dont need to clutter up the board anymore by creating a new post. I hope it does not cause any trouble -_-

But yesterday I decided to try giving Ubuntu (and linux in general another try) after giving up last time due to a week or two of frustration with wpa supplicant and ndiswrapper.

Happily, this time I got wireless working ( thank goodness for dapper or so I think its called that, and the net monitor gui addon) so now I am just going to try to learn things as I go along, and I hope to try to start figuriing out the console since so many things seem to be done there!

Well I hope that I stick around for longer this time, and I look forward to talking to you all in the future :)

matthew
July 30th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Welcome back! Please feel free to ask any questions if you encounter problems.