PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Fry's Open Source Predictions (and EEE PC review)

moeFinley
February 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Just read the following on Stephen Fry's blog. It's always nice to hear good predictions about Linux and especially when they come from Stephen Fry.

"The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous claim that your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result."

http://stephenfry.com/blog/?p=39

fatality_uk
February 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Just read the following on Stephen Fry's blog. It's always nice to hear good predictions about Linux and especially when they come from Stephen Fry.

"The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous claim that your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result."

http://stephenfry.com/blog/?p=39

I'm a BIG Stephen Fry fan. He is one of the smartest guys on the planet.

Redache
February 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
He's also one of the funniest.

Dara O'Brien's a good 'un as a techno knowledgeable comedian (maybe loads are but he has made it clear he likes technology a hell of a lot).

fatality_uk
February 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
He's also one of the funniest.

Dara O'Brien's a good 'un as a techno knowledgeable comedian (maybe loads are but he has made it clear he likes technology a hell of a lot).

He is. As SOON as I got my BT Vision box, the first thing I set to schedule record was QI. With Stephen Fry, you KNOW he knows the answers to 95% of the questions without looking at the card.

juxtaposed
February 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Wait a second, isn't this the guy that was on Blackadder Goes Forth with Hugh Laurie?

Probably a stupid question ;P

regomodo
February 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
a good read but unfortunately a few muppets are putting words in Stephen Fry's mouth. Additionally there a lot of questionable responses in the comments

@juxtaposed - yes

Lord Illidan
February 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM

It's been running those since the last 5 years :D But I dunno about my life being happier or better. :lolflag:

samwyse
February 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
He's a great comedian. I didn't expect him to be into computers, let alone Linux, which makes him even more awesome.

wipeout140
February 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
A excellent read and another fan of his work

BigSilly
February 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Been a big fan of Stephen's since I was a kid watching him play Melchett in his various guises. I didn't know he was an advocate of open source software, so that's moved him even further up my Top 10 list of Lovely Smashing People. I've been running Linux only for a couple of years so far Stephen, and I'm already a much happier person!

Nice find.