PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy the Linux version of the 2009 killer app?

fatality_uk
February 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
I wanted a smallish poll to add some background to document.

The "Hypothetical" scenario is that ABC Software corp, a MASSIVE software developer, has previously released XYZ 2008. This was a huge hit at the end of December 2008 and was on the wish list for every Windows PC user.

In quite a shock move, ABC Software announced that they were looking to issue a Linux version of XYZ 2009 along side the Windows version. The retail price will be the same as the Windows version £39.99.

The question: If it was a piece of software that you wanted,
WOULD YOU BUY IT?

Please, please be honest. If you are opposed to restricted software, make it clear.

bufsabre666
February 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
they release linux that can be installed over windows? ;-)

id buy it if it was worth it, if its nice but not worth the price id pirate it ((not bufsabre666 does not advocate the totally awesomr act of piracy)) or if i had no use i wouldnt even bother

.nedberg
February 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
If I wanted it and needed it; I would buy it. I don't have a problem with software not beeing free (beer).

Darkhack
February 2nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Doubtful, but I can't say "no" outright since I do use non-free software and don't have a problem with it. I vastly prefer open solutions though and would want to participate in creating a free alternative.

jrharvey
February 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
I would certainly buy it. I am not opposed to buying software. Some people work VERY hard on creating awesome software and still get paid little when compared to the rest. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE open source software but certain programs just stand out right now. Adobe CS3, AutoCad 2008, and Rhino 4 are all programs that I use on a daily basis. I am in school right now and all these programs come free so I might change my mind when I am struggling to make a penny but if the price is right then I am sure I would spend the money.

PS. Unfortunately the software I listed is only used for windows :(

billgoldberg
February 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Nope.

I never buy software, never.

snakeeyes
February 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I would buy the software if I liked it and found it useful, I don't care about paying for Linux software cause I paid for Windows and OS X software for a long time. Software being free or paid doesn't matter to me, I only like good software.

wasing
February 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
would definetly buy it if it was something i really wanted or needed. like i would buy Unreal Tournament 3 if it came with the linux client.

moeFinley
February 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yes I would. In any capitalist country you need to embrace commercial products. Some products just can't be produced using open source ethics - games being a good example. They have to produced quickly and lavishly as possible.

I don't want to see a decline in open source development. I just think choice needs to be there as sometimes commercial software is the only choice. You don't want users and businesses not choosing Linux and all the open source software that comes with it because one bit of software is only available for Windows.

The day that commercial software is produced for Linux in the same numbers as any other operating system is the day the Linux secures it's future as an major OS. And I think that day is not far off!

Come on Adobe - make Photoshop for Linux!!

DarkOx
February 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Sure. I don't have any major problem with proprietary software, it's more that I prefer the FOSS variety. And anyways, at some point someone has to pay the piper -- if the developers aren't compensated, they won't develop the product, and I won't have that software to run on my preferred OS.

-Phi-
February 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Where XYZ 2008 = the entire Adobe CS3 collection, then yes, definitely, in an instant, and I'd remove my dual boot. At that point my husband would probably switch from windows vista to linux too.

Though it might also take some Valve and Blizzard games to be available for linux too (which I'd also be happy to buy).

Oh, and I'd want the software to be in a repository system.

- Phi

mridkash
February 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
How about registering with your credit card in Synaptic package manager and purchase software which are paid and must have. Sort of like itunes market place ($1/copy).

Erik Trybom
February 2nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Absolutely! I've paid for proprietary Linux software before and I'll gladly do it again.

Of course, I must WANT the application and think it's WORTH the money - but that rule goes for everything you buy, doesn't it?

Lord Illidan
February 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I've never paid for Linux software, but I'll do it if I need it. While I like free software a lot, if there is no alternative to the proprietary software, or the proprietary software is much better than the free software, I'll go with the proprietary software, e.g. nvidia drivers

popch
February 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have bought software for Windows, Mac and Linux. I did so sometimes because I wanted a printed and bound copy of the manual, sometimes because I wanted or needed the software. I will go on buying software when and if the freely available titles do not cover my needs and the paid one does.

SupaSonic
February 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
No. But I really can't imagine any 'killer app' that hasn't got an open source alternative, amongst the ones I need anyway.

ugm6hr
February 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
As long as it was as easy to install as a .deb - no probs.

FOSS tends to improve alongside proprietary stuff - I use whichever is better for my needs (or whichever is best value and meets my needs). Cross-OS support is pretty important too, so a single app available on multiple OS is always going to be a winner in my eyes.

If the 2010 version of the FOSS equivalent is better - I'd switch back. I realise that in not using the early FOSS versions I'm not participating in development and bug-reporting for FOSS software, but I am selfish like that!

Superkoop
February 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Probably not, but only because there is a FOSS alternative out there already. Now, if there were no alternative, then I would buy software...or learn how to code.
I personally prefer to use new OSS software that isn't the best, but has a lot of potential, that way I am able to help with bugs and on the forums. (Programs can't get better w/o users)

fatality_uk
February 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Cheers guys! A smallish sample but valuable none the less.

jaytek13
February 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Absolutely. FOSS is great, particularly when it's "free as in beer," but people seem to be confusing that with what free is supposed to mean, "free as in speech," which is great it it's own right, but I don't believe FOSS is intended to be the destroyer of profit.

Back in the Suse days, before Novell acquired it and before Ubuntu existed, I would regularly purchase the boxed version. I have no qualms about paying for what I consider a good/great piece of software.