PDA

View Full Version : am trying to install xubuntu on a p3,256 ram.. suggestions needed

bigbrovar
February 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
A friend just got an ancient P3 dell from God knows where.. and he is really having problems running windows on it..he asked me to help him install ubuntu.. i tried but the installation failed ...(i think the specs was too low to run a live cd) so i downloaded xubuntu alternate cd.. which i hope would work well on the lappy.. however i have never used xubuntu or xfce b4.. and i would apprecaite if u guys can help me with tips on how for example to theme it,install compiz-which i think is not default in xfce..improve the font rendering and some other things parculiar with xubuntu.. so that i dont embarass me self trying be a geek lol

igknighted
February 2nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Xfce is nearly as fully-featured as gnome, I don't think it will take any great leap for you. apt-get install compiz will bring that in *if you want it... I don't recommend it on that computer*. The great thing about the window manager in Xfce is that it already is a compositing WM (capable of true transparencies and other basic effects, including using a dock like AWN or Kiba) without the system-drain that is compiz.

mbrush
February 2nd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Normal Ubuntu(Gnome) should install on that computer.

It could be something with the Live CD, but you should be able to use the "Alternate" CD, which is just like a normal "non-live" installation.

bigbrovar
February 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM
Xfce is nearly as fully-featured as gnome, I don't think it will take any great leap for you. apt-get install compiz will bring that in *if you want it... I don't recommend it on that computer*. The great thing about the window manager in Xfce is that it already is a compositing WM (capable of true transparencies and other basic effects, including using a dock like AWN or Kiba) without the system-drain that is compiz.
thanks mate ... i will surely consider that..

Normal Ubuntu(Gnome) should install on that computer.

It could be something with the Live CD, but you should be able to use the "Alternate" CD, which is just like a normal "non-live" installation.
yeah i know but in the long run it is safer to use xfce.. cus it uses a filemanager which is lighter and faster than nautilus, and comes with abiword which is light than open office.. so in the long run its just safer to install anything that would give a lighter alternative to the system.. cus i want him to have little performance isues if any at all.. so that he can appreciate the diff btw linux and windows ..

Tristicus
February 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I installed it on basically the same system you had.

YOU DO NOT WANT COMPIZ.

Also, XFCE will be about the same as regular Ubuntu on that, so don't switch.

It is going to lag a lot.....be slower. This means like Firefox just being open is slow, etc.

bigbrovar
February 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
I installed it on basically the same system you had.

YOU DO NOT WANT COMPIZ.

Also, XFCE will be about the same as regular Ubuntu on that, so don't switch.

It is going to lag a lot.....be slower. This means like Firefox just being open is slow, etc.

i plan on installing epiphany which i would use instead of firefox .. at least that should count for something ..beside u mean thunar would drag just like nautilus on this machine.. mehn is it worth it installing ubuntu on it in the first place.. seems i should just leave the windows as it is since ubuntu would not make it any faster.. i just thought that since xubuntu was meant for low config systems then installing it on the machine would be a good idea :)