PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu hates get a mac ads

patrickaupperle
February 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
I went to the apple website and tried to watch their ads and they simply would not play from beginning to end.:lolflag:

Brunellus
February 2nd, 2008, 05:51 AM
I blame Quicktime or whatever propritary codec du jour that Apple's pushing these days.

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
yeh but it can be overcome with the right codecs and mplayer.

igknighted
February 2nd, 2008, 06:52 AM
Those ads used to be so good because they were witty about it... then they took the low road and simply bashed on Vista because it was popular. I lost respect for the ad campaign long ago.

Now, some of the spoofs that have been done on youtube are simply fabulous.

SunnyRabbiera
February 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Those ads used to be so good because they were witty about it... then they took the low road and simply bashed on Vista because it was popular. I lost respect for the ad campaign long ago.

I liked the Christmas one though, it had me in stitches :D

hhhhhx
February 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM

diddo, also have u seen the ones by TrueNuff?

SZF2001
February 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
The TrueNuff ones are hilarious, especially with Linux guy walking about with a backpack and talking like a nerd.

Yea, I said it. You can say it's trolling or whatever but that's what I really think.

Anyway, anything works when you use VLC, from my experience. Even YTMND, mplayer always just made the embedded sound go once while VLC successfully loops them like they should be.

Scarath
February 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
The TrueNuff ones are hilarious, especially with Linux guy walking about with a backpack and talking like a nerd.

Yea, I said it. You can say it's trolling or whatever but that's what I really think..

I love that one too, when he shouts 'I AM ROOT' at the end i laughed my head off. If u cant laugh at your self n all that!

igknighted
February 2nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I love that one too, when he shouts 'I AM ROOT' at the end i laughed my head off. If u cant laugh at your self n all that!

I'm not F***ing linux, I'm BSD...

Yeah, well, you look the same.

oh, the irony hearing those words from "Mac" lol

hhhhhx
February 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
I am ROOT!!!

(now im gatta go a watch them all again :))

misfitpierce
February 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Add/Remove programs...

Top right corner enable all available apps

Search gstream and enable all codecs

Gstreamer plays them all fine for me :)

fatality_uk
February 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'm not F***ing linux, I'm BSD...

Yeah, well, you look the same.

oh, the irony hearing those words from "Mac" lol

Just watched that again. I just can NEVER fail to laugh at those. Especially, the best line in them.

"I'll block your entire subnet you lamers. I AM ROOT!"

I watched that particular ad a while ago, My wife asked, "What you watching?" I showed her. Not even a smirk. I guess it doesn't translate that well.

bufsabre666
February 2nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Just watched that again. I just can NEVER fail to laugh at those. Especially, the best line in them.

"I'll block your entire subnet you lamers. I AM ROOT!"

I watched that particular ad a while ago, My wife asked, "What you watching?" I showed her. Not even a smirk. I guess it doesn't translate that well.

yeah theres alway been a geek to human translation problem in my house too, me and mom speak fluently, dad and sister dont under stand a word of it

LightB
February 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
I think I know what folks here are talking about with those "true nuff" spoofs, but I thought they were just infantile and instead "false nuff". You know that old expression "it's funny cause it's true", doesn't apply here.

I think the original mac ads are funny enough because they're just so lame. Did anyone see those suse linux spoofs? There was one funny part in one of them where windows and mac are showing off their new clothes, windows is wearing a black jacket, and mac is wearing a leopard shirt and he's all showing off saying "leopard!".

bufsabre666
February 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think I know what folks here are talking about with those "true nuff" spoofs, but I thought they were just infantile and instead "false nuff". You know that old expression "it's funny cause it's true", doesn't apply here.

I think the original mac ads are funny enough because they're just so lame. Did anyone see those suse linux spoofs? There was one funny part in one of them where windows and mac are showing off their new clothes, windows is wearing a black jacket, and mac is wearing a leopard shirt and he's all showing off saying "leopard!".

id say they really are true, and they are only bashing mac cause mac bashes pc, fair is fair

but on their site they have the best motto

"macs are great, so are pc's, so are toasters -whats your point? its just a computer, get over it"

thats the reason i hate mac, cause they promise everything, never deliver, and they are always shoving this down my throat

LightB
February 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Well sure, both those ads are lame because they only focus on a few things which aren't necessarily that important.

But in those "true nuff" things, if I remember correctly, the windows guy tried to present windowsCE as a plus. uh-huh. Nuff said.

bufsabre666
February 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
for windows development CE is a plus

it depends on your view of a plus, if youre not a windows developer youre not ganna appretiate it that much, but some other do

the mac ad shows time machine, windows has had system restore for years ((so not a plus))

mac ads show device compatibility, sure ive had device problems with windows but once i installed the drivers it worked perfectly, not so with mac, everything ive ever tried never gets recognized and the drivers are hard to find if they exist at all ((not a plus))

mac ads show you can run windows on the mac, that cheating on the operating system youre so proud of ((not a plus))

point being, what you consider a plus is relavent to youre needs

personally i think the CLI in linux is the biggest plus of all and most people hate it

LightB
February 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I don't remember and I'd rather not go look just for that, but I don't remember CE being presented as a development option but just multimedia or data portability, general usage in any case as most people would use these things. And CE was a joke in a dark comedy.

bufsabre666
February 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I don't remember and I'd rather not go look just for that, but I don't remember CE being presented as a development option but just multimedia or data portability, general usage in any case as most people would use these things. And CE was a joke in a dark comedy.

thats what it was perposed as and it sucked for that but it became extremely popular on the MSDN and its a great platform fo such cause of it being bound to hardware

if you want a joke look up:

windows CE ME NT

patrickaupperle
February 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have to say what made me laugh most was the one where mac said "name something thats any good that ever came out of open source" Then linux said "I'm open source" Then mac repeated his question. Then you here linux, I think, say "your mom's open source":lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Or maybe "this video was edited on a pc running win..." Then it blue screens

System is taking a dump.
Dump complete.
System is wiping self.
wipe complete.
system flushes.

flush.

DeadSuperHero
February 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I ran across this one a while ago, I thought it was brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3q8_40GBuI

n3tfury
February 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I went to the apple website and tried to watch their ads and they simply would not play from beginning to end.:lolflag:

thanks for sharing. strange that it will play some of it though.

Ripfox
February 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM

HAHA I remember this one...hilarious.

hungryhamster
February 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM

positively brilliant. I personally have never experienced some of those problems, but the humor was undeniable!