PDA

View Full Version : More than one blog from home?

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 03:21 AM
ok I've finally decided to start a blog (about time since everyone in the world seems to have one but me) but here's the thing one of my friends at school told me something which I'm not sure if it's true or not, he mentioned that you can only have one blog from home! I'm a total newbie in this, so I ask, is this true? he said that services like wordpress, blogger or multiply allowed only one ip at a time so even if I have a router with three computers at home I can only create one account of my home network, this is an issue since not only me but my 2 brothers wnat to create blogs as well, so I don't know if we can all create and have our blogs from home, or is the comment about the ip being registered once true? I hope someone can explain this because I'm confused :confused:

LaRoza
February 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
I don't understand, a blog is just a type of website, you can have as many as you want.

Certain online services might restrict how many, maybe that is what was meant.

You can always use a different service, if you are using prebuilt sites.

Dr Small
February 2nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
I doubt it.....

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 03:26 AM
I don't understand, a blog is just a type of website, you can have as many as you want.

Certain online services might restrict how many, maybe that is what was meant.

You can always use a different service, if you are using prebuilt sites.

He has me worried, because he says that only one blog can be created from home, that because you have a router a service like wordpress would register the ip of that router, and the same goes for a modem, and would not let you create another blog from home since you already "used" the ip of the router or the modem once :confused:

sagarhshah
February 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I don't know about the rest but I know for a fact that blogger doesn't restrict one ip to one blog. I have many blogs with them (4 in total) all with different usernames as well, and my housemate also has a blog with blogger.

So to answer your question yes you can have more than one blog from home( with blogger).

Sagar

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
I don't know about the rest but I know for a fact that blogger doesn't restrict one ip to one blog. I have many blogs with them (4 in total) all with different usernames as well, and my housemate also has a blog with blogger.

So to answer your question yes you can have more than one blog from home( with blogger).

Sagar

that's good to hear! is there anyone who can vouch for wordpress and multiply?

LookTJ
February 2nd, 2008, 03:36 AM
You mean like a home server? You can have more than one blog with any blog provider. I myself would use Drupal.

Dr Small
February 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
that's good to hear! is there anyone who can vouch for wordpress and multiply?
I host my own wordpress, so I don't know.

Jhongy
February 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
He has me worried, because he says that only one blog can be created from home, that because you have a router a service like wordpress would register the ip of that router, and the same goes for a modem, and would not let you create another blog from home since you already "used" the ip of the router or the modem once :confused:

Rubbish! You can set up as many domains as you like on a single IP (using Apache virtual sites), and yu can install as many instances of Wordpress as you like under each domain.

So -- no, there is no restriction.

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
thanks a lot for all the replies people!!, and about the comment on drupal, does you need to know a lot of programming in order to use it?

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I host my own wordpress, so I don't know.

what are the minimum specs you need to host your own blog? can you do it with an old machine, or do you need a high end rig?

puppy
February 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Blogger doesn't have any of the restrictions you mention - I have zero programming skills and the tools available on the site and elsewhere allow me to maintain a very slick looking blog, You can embed all kinds of things into your pages, and I find it perfect for my needs (as do 1000s of other people!). The only two important things are to post regularly, and to make your posts at least vaguely interesting to people who might be reading it :) It's the effort that counts...

Pups
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my new blog at: http://peteste.blogspot.com

K.Mandla
February 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Wordpress.com manages blogs by e-mail account, for what I've seen. So if you want a second blog completely distinct from your first, you just need to use another e-mail account.

I've also set up subsidiary blogs with the same e-mail address, which probably sounds a little confusing. In short, you can run two blogs from the same account (and share some management tools), or start another with a completely different account.

And Wordpress.com gives you 3Gb of storage space, which is quite a bit.

sagarhshah
February 2nd, 2008, 01:19 PM
Blogger doesn't have any of the restrictions you mention - I have zero programming skills and the tools available on the site and elsewhere allow me to maintain a very slick looking blog, You can embed all kinds of things into your pages, and I find it perfect for my needs (as do 1000s of other people!). The only two important things are to post regularly, and to make your posts at least vaguely interesting to people who might be reading it :) It's the effort that counts...

Pups
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my new blog at: http://peteste.blogspot.com

I agree. Blogger doesn't need any crazy programming skills. There are loads of free templates out on the web for it.And with a few minor tweaks you can make them unique.

Also you can use your own host for it. You can use blogspot if you don't have your own host.

billgoldberg
February 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
You could have a thousand different blogs if you want to.

I think wordpress.com is the best one (by far!) and I have one there.
You can have multiple wordpress blogs.

billgoldberg
February 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
what are the minimum specs you need to host your own blog? can you do it with an old machine, or do you need a high end rig?

That depends, the hardware doesn't need to be new, the internet connection is more important.

If you only have basic broadband and lets say 200 people are trying to read your blog at the same time, your connection will fail.

There are alot of free hosts that can install wordpress. Thats a better option.

firsttimeubuntero
February 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
That depends, the hardware doesn't need to be new, the internet connection is more important.

If you only have basic broadband and lets say 200 people are trying to read your blog at the same time, your connection will fail.

There are alot of free hosts that can install wordpress. Thats a better option.

Thanks for the heads up, I use DSL and I didn't know about that detail. Which free host that can install wordpress would you recomend?