PDA

View Full Version : Have any funny Linux stories?

Gizkaguy
February 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
My Grandfather thinks that Ubuntu is not as reliable or secure as Windows. His reason - it's free and doesn't use as much HD space.

Have you got any funny stories to share??

Linuxratty
February 2nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
I was telling a friend how cool Linux was as I was shutting it down...The screen froze and it refused to shut down..I was SO humiliated! Here I was expecting my OS to put it's best foot forward and it pulls a Windows:"I'm not goanna do it,na na na na na!"
So I MADE it shut down!

days_of_ruin
February 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
My Grandfather thinks that Ubuntu is not as reliable or secure as Windows. His reason - it's free and doesn't use as much HD space.

Have you got any funny stories to share??

Thats not funny its sad.lol.

Darkhack
February 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM
I was telling a friend how cool Linux was as I was shutting it down...The screen froze and it refused to shut down..I was SO humiliated! Here I was expecting my OS to put it's best foot forward and it pulls a Windows:"I'm not goanna do it,na na na na na!"
So I MADE it shut down!

That's why I never evangelize Linux, despite my love for it. I just know that it would either not detect their hardware, crash, or some other problem that would make it look like a cheap, inferior OS.

barbedsaber
February 2nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
I hate it when you are trying to show someone how quick it would but, and it had to be my 33 boot or whatever the number is, so i had a forced disk check, grrrrrrrr.

bigbrovar
February 2nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Linuxratty
I was telling a friend how cool Linux was as I was shutting it down...The screen froze and it refused to shut down..I when SO humiliated! Here I was expecting my OS to put it's best foot forward and it pulls a Windows:"I'm not goanna do it,na na na na na!"
So I MADE it shut down!
something similar happened to me .. a friend came visting from the uk.. so i was off some of the cool compiz fusion eye candy while telling him how stable linux was.. was SUDDENLY my screen frooze (no thanks to buggy Nvidia drivers-but that has now been fixed) and the system stopped responding.. nothing i did brought it back to life.. in the end i had to forcefully shut down by press and holding the power button.. i can still hear his laughter in my ears

Cresho
February 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
I feel and can relate to all of the above mentioned ontop! But I still boot up my os and they are like WOW!

Recently, my uncle called me over his home. I walked in and he had coffee for me ready. He asks. "so....can you install that cube thingy on my computer? YOU KNOW! the CUBE!!!" and I kindly replied..."but you run windows!" then he replies "OKAY! sow how much does it cost?"

barbedsaber
February 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I feel and can relate to all of the above mentioned ontop! But I still boot up my os and they are like WOW!

Recently, my uncle called me over his home. I walked in and he had coffee for me ready. He asks. "so....can you install that cube thingy on my computer? YOU KNOW! the CUBE!!!" and I kindly replied..."but you run windows!" then he replies "OKAY! sow how much does it cost?"

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolf lag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag

corney91
February 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well the two times I've brought my laptop into school:

1. Someone claims "it doesn't do want I want it to do!" because he right-clicked onto the desktop looking for "Display" (ie CCSM) even though under "Preferences" is much more logical.

2. Same person goes "Oh, Linux. That thing that doesn't do what you want it to." And someone else claims it's slow - it's 1.4GHz, his is dual-core 2.something.

Oh well, I've given out 2 LiveCDs to two other people who are genuinely interested so I giess it balances out...

Gizkaguy
February 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
So I MADE it shut down!

I had something similar happen to me ... I was telling m Uncle how good Ubuntu was and how he needed to switch from Windows, and all of a sudden it froze on me. I had to shut it off and he said 'Is that what is known as a Windows crash?'

He has installed Fedora 8 and Ubuntu however and is trying to convince my Aunt to give up Windows.

Ebuntor
February 2nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
No need to be embarrassed about it crashing guys, that's just Murphey's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphey%27s_Law) at work. ;)

I've had things like that happening more times than I can count. Apart from simply crashing I've had lot's of cases when I was about to show how feature X in Ubuntu was far superior to Windows' version of feature X. And of course said feature wouldn't work or something like that. :)

uways
February 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I was doing some work under Linux and my friend next to me (using *******) laughs and says something along the lines of "Of course you're doing work. U can't run this game, u can't run ANY games," then proceeds to frag like crazy.

His game subsequently crashes. Then he opens something else which launches a virus attack. His computer freezes.

Then he had to reformat his disk. With my help, of course ;)