PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Linux?

ghandi69_
February 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Hello,

Linux is the perfect Operating System for many home based projects, whether that is a home file server, myth tv box, web server, or of course, a full featured home Desktop ;-)

However, I was wondering if there has ever been much done with Linux inside a car? Wouldn't it be great if there were some programs that would allow you to monitor your cars performance and maintance? (gas mileage, horsepower, whatever) I'm not a real big car guy, so I don't know whats possible on a computer, but it seems like it would be fun to try.

Anyone know of anything?

Cochise
February 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
there are some programs etc check out mp3car.com for car computers that people have built in and some have managed to hook them up to the odb connector to run diagnostics while driving etc

tsmgroup2
February 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I would love to see someone or a small group of guys get together and make up a program thru linux that would plug into any vehicle, download and save the old vehicle settings and allow you to control the onboard vehicle computer to either lean back the fuel consumption or othe features for better performance for ones needs.

I'd pass the savings onto donations to them for it as well.. consider the gift that keeps on giving!

Lostincyberspace
February 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/29/spanish-electric-car.html

elctrilinucar

original_jamingrit
February 4th, 2008, 01:02 AM
This may not quite be what you're looking for, but I know of engineers making self-driving cars, using Ubuntu.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Carnegie-Mellon-Driver-Less-Car-Uses-Ubuntu-75819.shtml

zmjjmz
February 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
www.linuxice.com
It's more of an entertainment system, but it could probably be extended...

jpittack
February 5th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I would rather have a choice in the overall design of the car. There are just tons of crap in a car. In a Grand Caravan, open the side doors and the hazards come on. The new Accords or BMW's don't come with simple radios. The scions are closer to what I want, but I would like to redesign certain parts of it.

tsmgroup2
August 24th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I would rather have a choice in the overall design of the car. There are just tons of crap in a car. In a Grand Caravan, open the side doors and the hazards come on. The new Accords or BMW's don't come with simple radios. The scions are closer to what I want, but I would like to redesign certain parts of it.

I know exactly what you mean (or at least I think you do), imagine the tech and lighter materials around that would lighten the vehicles weight without jeopardizing strength or safety and would increase mileage and performance. We keep seeing higher and higher costs or sticker tags and for what, a 20 to 30 mpg reduction on newer models since the 80's to 90's ?? come on gang, get with it... they are ripping you off, stand up... please..

Finish enhancing old tech b4 you go using the new tech... you haven't begun to scratch the surface yet... ask, if you don't know, don't assume!

Bravo!! to all the guys and gals out there who have taken steps forward and not backward!!! My hats off to you all !