PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for workout music

barbedsaber
February 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Ok, so I am taking up taekwondo again, (YAY) and at training sessions we always had music. I am a bit (a lot) off form, and I have workiout plan, with everything from targeted mucsle things to runs, bike riding, and everything in bettween. The problem is I am struggling with the unfamiler enviroment, where all I can here is my own breathing, and I swear I can here my muscles, and lungs screaming in pain. I need a whole bunch of workouty tracks that I can put on my mp3 player, and play loudly. I will initially download them with frostwire, and if i like them, i will find a way to pay for i (wether that means booting windows and using itunes im not sure) please make some effort to be helpfull, random itune bashing is not what I made this thread for, if that was what I wanted I would have called it "lets bash itunes" please help.

MindFlayer
February 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
I think what you need is something manly, something that has bigger balls than your neighbours cat. Try anything from Rammstein, Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, or perhaps some viking metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_metal). Finntroll is a good choice. :guitar:

SomeGuyDude
February 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hmmm... here's some albums to try.

Deicide - Scars of the Crucifix
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Dry Kill Logic - Dead and Dreaming
Cradle of Filth - Midian
Heaven Shall Burn - Antigone
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Daath - The Hinderers
Kalmah - Black Waltz
3 Inches of Blood - Fire IUp the Blade
Slayer - God Hates us All
Metallica - Master of Puppets
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000
Mastodon - Remission
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Machine Head - The Blackening
Behemoth - Demigod

There's a start. Open up your favorite Torrent program and get to work.

billgoldberg
February 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Something with a little bass in it always help.

search for:

dance, trance, hardcore, elektro, hardhouse, ...

It works for me.

Mantis86
February 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM
only one song is needed. Repeat as necessary... and that song is...

EYE OF THE TIGER!

az
February 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
http://tborgax.homepage.dk/

Title: The Picard Song
Duration: 4:40 Minutes
File Size: 5.34 MB
Artist: DarkMateria
Released: --- March 1st, 2001
Format: MP3, 44100Hz, 160kbit

Title: The Worf Song
Duration: 4:14 Minutes
File Size: 5.81 MB
Released: --- April 13th, 2001
Format: MP3, 44100Hz, 192kbit

Title: Frame of Mind
Duration: 5:22 Minutes
File Size: 7.38 MB
Released: --- May 16h, 2001
Format: MP3, 44100Hz, 192kbit

Kingsley
February 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
only one song is needed. Repeat as necessary... and that song is...

EYE OF THE TIGER!

Haha. I'll do that!

Edit: I'll just get the whole Rocky soundtrack. Even more perfect.

Lostincyberspace
February 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Depends any thing you think you can match the beat to with the moves so you might need to start with slower songs and do faster as you get more used to it.

bufsabre666
February 1st, 2008, 05:33 PM
fast paced and very heavy is always my choice for aerobic exercise

hardcore rap is my favorite for anarobic

i suggest

dry kill logic for the first and 50 cent for the second

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
No music. It distracts from a real practice.

Lostincyberspace
February 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
classical music can set a good pace though if you like it.

barbedsaber
February 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
No music. It distracts from a real practice.

but i spent years training with music, and its does distract you, just enough to make everything hurt less. :)

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
but i spent years training with music, and its does distract you, just enough to make everything hurt less. :)

It depends on what kind of workout it is. If it is a real workout, that requires focus, music just distracts and is just a commercial gym thing.

SomeGuyDude
February 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
It depends on what kind of workout it is. If it is a real workout, that requires focus, music just distracts and is just a commercial gym thing.

Maybe if you're practicing a skill (such as direct martial arts training), but he's talking about running and lifting, and if you're suggesting that music won't help for strength/conditioning then you're just plain wrong.

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe if you're practicing a skill (such as direct martial arts training), but he's talking about running and lifting, and if you're suggesting that music won't help for strength/conditioning then you're just plain wrong.

Skill is a big part of lifting, and focus is the key.

The focus and skill needed for lifting is essential.

For running and and such, music is good.

SomeGuyDude
February 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
Skill is a big part of lifting, and focus is the key.

The focus and skill needed for lifting is essential.

For running and and such, music is good.

I'm a powerlifter (not an incredible one, but a powerlifter all the same), and lemme tell you without something loud and pissed off in my ears I definitely lose a good bit of my focus. The only time I take it off is when I'm doing something where the cord gets caught (olympic lifts, occasionally for dumbbell presses).

Aside from just giving you something angry to get the adrenaline going, the music isolate you so you're not listening to everyone else lift. Helps put you in your world.

n3tfury
February 2nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
Pantera
Ill Nino
Slayer
S.O.D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gDM4IpBiolY

DouglasAWh
February 2nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Finntroll is a good choice. :guitar:

Yay for Finntroll!

I like:

Another Breath - Jailbreak
Throwdown (the middle years...early stuff with the new singer, especially)
Casey Jones
Death By Stereo

In general, I find Slayer a little chaotic, though Rain In Blood is fun. I like their Minor Threat covers.

Being pumped up and getting the energy going is definitely good. Sometimes losing focus is a good thing. Just let your body do it's thing. Don't over think it.

LaRoza
February 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
Being pumped up and getting the energy going is definitely good. Sometimes losing focus is a good thing. Just let your body do it's thing. Don't over think it.

Try doing a handstand pushup with that mentality and you will have a broken nose.

barbedsaber
February 2nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
I used to have the music going when we did runing, stretches, weights (which really means a freaking lot of push ups, really low squats and insane situps) and also during stretching, and SOME of the drills (kicking punching blocking, grapple defencees and so on) I plan to regularly run a few kilometers. when we did pomse (where you follow a sequence of punches, blocks and kicks across a patterns, with absoulut perfection) we neeeeed to concentrate, so it is absoulout silence. and finnaly, we are supposed to SHOUT (like in the martial arts movies, its suposed ot scare potential attackers away, work on you ki, and get the air out of your lugs so you cant get winded., i have to get frostwire going now, i have eye of the tiger tho, :)

JeffoOfMetal
February 2nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Cannibal Corpse - Severed Head Stoning
Chimaira - Severed
Coal Chamber - Drove
Daath - War Born
Daath - Subterfuge
DevilDriver - I Could Care Less
DevilDriver - Just Run
DevilDriver - Bound by the Moon
Hatebreed - We Still Fight
HELLYEAH - Waging War
Mudvayne - (K)now F(orever)
Mudvayne - Dig
Mudvayne - Determined
Nile - Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Six Feet Under - Shadow of the Reaper
Skinless - Don't Risk Infection
Slayer - Here Comes the Pain
Slayer - Disciple
Soulfly - Bring It
Soulfy - Babylon
Static-X - Otsego Amigo
A Black Rose Burial - Straight From the Mind of the Modern Day Vigilante\

:guitar: (times like a thousand)

einherier
February 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Acid Bath - Venus Blue
Morbid Angel - Hatework
ABBA - Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie
Emperor - Inno A Satana
Ayumi Hamasaki - Evolution
Hammerfall
Paul Van Dyk
Misfits
Eazy E - Real Mother****** G's / **** the 9
Einherjer - Crimson Rain
NoFX
Pennywise - F*** Authority
Social Distortion
Nikki Clan

Yeah, I know, im freaking nuts.

NightwishFan
February 6th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Any Nightwish :)
or some good trance.

einherier
February 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for suggesting Finntroll guys, I can't believe I have never heard of them, it's some of the best stuff I have heard in a long time. You might give Einherjer a listen...some pretty good Viking Metal.

Also, just a suggestion... Forget the Tae Kwon Do and take Krav Maga or western boxing coupled with a good grappling style. I wasted months in TKD of my life in a TKD dojo.

graabein
February 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Shellac

bomanizer
February 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Meshuggah. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5A0q63_gbo) (youtube)

Thyme
February 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I use fast-paced music with a thumping baseline, trance is a good example. The faster the beat the more effort it makes me put into the workout :)

hellion0
February 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Seems like I'm the only one who listens to synthpop/EBM while exercising - stuff like VNV Nation, Negative Format, Assemblage 23, et al.

einherier
February 7th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Honestly, I think the most important thing is that you listen to music that pumps *YOU* up; however, my personal theory is that trance music might induce a semi-hypnotic state that will suppress the body's natural pain signals that could definitely improve performance during aerobic exercise.....this, of course, is unreferenced...just my opinion.

venator260
February 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Glad to see metal being suggested. It's what I wish I could listen to in the gym. I lack the mp3 player to make that happen though.

Some additions if you like metal:

Jungle Rot (regular death metal)
Dying Fetus (technical Death)
Arsis(technical Death)
Cryptopsy(technical Death)
Norther(melodic death)

DigitalDuality
February 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
d

Tristam Green
February 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
My original workout music was Powerman 5000 - Tonight the Stars Revolt! (the album).

So without any further ado, here are my offerings:

entire albums:
PM5K - Tonight the Stars Revolt!, Anyone for Doomsday?
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto, Astro Creep 2000
Rammstein - Sehnsucht, Mutter
Static-X - Machine, Shadow Zone, Cannibal
Metallica - The Black Album

individual songs:
Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug
Slayer - Bloodlines
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
Nightwish - Dead Gardens
Within Temptation - Deep Within
Marilyn Manson - Rock is Dead
PM5K - Ultra-Mega
Pantera - Walk
My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - After The Flesh

I laughed heartily at the comparison to "music that has bigger balls than your neighbourhood cat".

ComputerHermit
February 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Punk Rock

fuscia
February 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
you'd think pantera would be a good choice, but once, i was lifting at a friends house and we had pantera blasting. he went to answer the phone, and when he came back, he found me fast asleep on the floor.

capndeathstrike
February 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I think we're all forgetting the Mortal Kombat theme song!

I also recommend listening to Ferry Corsten (http://www.myspace.com/ferrycorsten), VNV Nation (http://www.myspace.com/vnvnation), or some Apoptygma Berzerk (http://www.myspace.com/apoptygmaberzerk).

SomeGuyDude
February 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
you'd think pantera would be a good choice, but once, i was lifting at a friends house and we had pantera blasting. he went to answer the phone, and when he came back, he found me fast asleep on the floor.

Sounds to me like you need a hell of a lot more than music to get you ready to lift.

:lolflag:

barbedsaber
February 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I probobly should have mentioned this before you all went so far out of your way, (opps) I cant stand HARD rock or metal, i was looking for techno electronica, trans sort of music, and i really liked thanks for the memories by the fallout boys. Anything like that? or technoish?

Also, how is my new avater and sig? I realised that my old av was almost identical to knoppix's logo. lol.

n3tfury
February 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Any Nightwish :)
or some good trance.

nightwish for working out? i'm talking about weight lifting of course.. eeesh.

fuscia
February 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Sounds to me like you need a hell of a lot more than music to get you ready to lift.

well, that's probably true, but i've never found pantera to be as hardcore as they like to think they are. they're more annoying than hardcore, to me. i like stuff with a little more style for working out, chuck berry, the real mckenzies, verdi, even the sex pistols. nightwish might be good for someone who can't stand them, especially if they're working a heavy bag.

tehet
February 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I was looking for techno electronica, trans sort of music, and i really liked thanks for the memories by the fallout boys. Anything like that? or technoish?
I'm not into that kind of stuff but you might want to click around in Ishkur's guide to electronic music for a bit. There might be something in there that you like.

fuscia
February 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I probobly should have mentioned this before you all went so far out of your way, (opps) I cant stand HARD rock or metal, i was looking for techno electronica, trans sort of music, and i really liked thanks for the memories by the fallout boys. Anything like that? or technoish?

lords of acid might work for you.

Mary.Riley
February 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Try anything my Faithless. A lot of it can be mellow, but some of it is more upbeat.

tom957
February 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I was thinking of either Brain Drill or Manowar: pure chaos or true power, respectfully.

SomeGuyDude
February 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Also, how is my new avater and sig? I realised that my old av was almost identical to knoppix's logo. lol.

Tough ****! Pick up some metal and be a man! Grab yer balls like you got a pair, boy!

:guitar:

barbedsaber
February 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Tough ****! Pick up some metal and be a man! Grab yer balls like you got a pair, boy!

:guitar:

you see, I have made the distinction between music, and REALLY REALLY LOUD NOISE!! And I prefer the music.

Pathfinder_
February 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Something with a little bass in it always help.

search for:

dance, trance, hardcore, elektro, hardhouse, ...

It works for me.

I agree

JT9161
February 18th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I suggest: Bleed it out by Linking Park
Stronger by Kanye West
Through the fire and flames by Dragon Force

pissedoffdude
February 18th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Europe - The Final Countdown
Any Rocky music will do as well.