PDA

View Full Version : What my Mum said

barbedsaber
February 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM
Yes i live in Australia, and here she is spelt mum not mom, deall with it.

So I got a new computer, and I could ONLY get one made by IBM or lenovo (too hard to explain) so I got a nice and sorta powerfull lenovo, and after a week, I had enough time to set up my dual boot (die vista die!) after a couple of days, I was sitting on the floor, surfing the net with my new wifi card, and my mum asked what I was doing, surfing the net i said. and then (get this) If that computer gets riddled with viruses and soyware and ****, your paying for it. I lauhged myself sily. :lol::mrgreen::lolflag:

~LoKe
February 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM
"Yes, mum."

Get used to your parents never understanding and don't bother explaining it to them. Been there, done that. Well, to be fair, my parents understood fully but it didn't interest them (so long as I was around to fix their computer).

Feels nice, though, doesn't it? I remember my usual Windows installation on a new computer. Downloading all that software and spending a few hours getting it "ready for use". Don't miss that much. With Linux, though, it can still be a PITA but there's just so much more satisfaction.

slimdog360
February 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM
I should mention we don't spell 'deal' as 'deall'.

Toffeeapple
February 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
I live in Wales and here we make a distinction between your and you're.

:lolflag:

: )

popch
February 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM

Yes, but then: Imagination is more important than knowledge

I live in Wales and here we make a distinction between your and you're.

We use quotes on the continent when writing about words or phrases such as "your".

Oh, well.

Toffeeapple
February 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
god damn pedants.

argie
February 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
god damn pedants.

I agree, software pedants shouldn't be allowed ;)

Scarath
February 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM

Its probably prison slang or sommin' ... all Australians being convicts and all :D

init1
February 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I remember a few years ago going to a website that was playing a MIDI in the background. My mom came in and warned me that getting music from the Internet was going to put viruses on her computer.

barbedsaber
February 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
Its probably prison slang or sommin' ... all Australians being convicts and all :D

THAT WAS UNCALLD FOR.

for a start, i would like to say that south Australia was never settled by convicts, only people that paid to come, and that my fammily has been in south australia since, ever, there were no convicts in my history, i have looked up my well documented fammily tree back to well before australia was setteled, i just cant speel for ****.

Nevon
February 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
THAT WAS UNCALLD FOR.

for a start, i would like to say that south Australia was never settled by convicts, only people that paid to come, and that my fammily has been in south australia since, ever, there were no convicts in my history, i have looked up my well documented fammily tree back to well before australia was setteled, i just cant speel for ****.

I thought the convicts settled in Botany Bay, and later in Port Jackson? That's not in the north, is it? I could be wrong, since I'm not all that familiar with Australian geography.

barbedsaber
February 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.smallguide.com.au/maps.html

botany bay is in new south wales, to the east, near sydny, and i think the convicts went to teh eastern states (queensland, home of the gold coast ie warner borthers movi world and sea world etc, nsw which has sydny, and victoria, where it is freaking bloddy cold and they play lots of PROPER aussie rule football, not that american one where the foot is only used for the running) the worst convicts were sent to van demans land (not spelt like that) which is now called tasmania. it is the blob below victorea. i dont think they had discoverd western australia (the other bit) and i am not sure what happend in the northen territory, but south australia, was uninhabited by the british untill people CHOSE to come. and no, i wont go back and fix my speeling. :lolflag:

Greg Shallard
February 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I thought the convicts settled in Botany Bay, and later in Port Jackson? That's not in the north, is it? I could be wrong, since I'm not all that familiar with Australian geography.

Botany Bay and Port Jackson are in New South Wales, along the east coast of Australia.

matey3
February 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
I was sitting on the floor, surfing the net with my new wifi card, and my mum asked what I was doing, surfing the net

congrats!
You have a good family (mother) who actually Cares! Too many kids are loose these days you'd better appreciate your mom/mum! lol .. i mean really!

Any ways... I came here to post a question and I think I will in a minute but any ways I like to find out if anyone knows Where do the downloaded files go in Ubuntu server 7x.?

When you apt-get install something sometimes it goes and gets the necessary files off the net but what I want to know is where the hekk do these files go? I've seen some undr bin/??? so far but then I dont know if there are another folders/directories in which downloaded files go?...

Thanks In Advance!

an old newbee ;-)

Nolander
February 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, im australian and i dont know were was settled first or were those places are... well im not that brite.
back to topic,
im always telling my mum not to get virus on her machine cos hes on windows and im the one who has2 fix it. Grrrrr...

-nolander

Ptero-4
February 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM
debs go to /var/cache/apt/archives (like in the normal "desktop" version of ubuntu) and the installed stuff is placed in /usr and /etc (again like in the "desktop" version).

aaaantoine
February 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
My dad's pretty good about making sure to scan for viruses and spyware on his computer regularly.

I have my in-laws similarly trained. :D

jolx
February 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
my mum understands that linux doesn't get any spy ware or viruses or anything. But my dad doesn't, i think its cause he's a fat old retard that smokes and doesn't live with me :lolflag:

Scarath
February 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
THAT WAS UNCALLD FOR.

just a little jape :lolflag:

LaRoza
February 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yes i live in Australia, and here she is spelt mum not mom, deall with it.

I call my mum, mum also, and I am in the USA.

bufsabre666
February 1st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I call my mum, mum also, and I am in the USA.

i call mine mommy, i feel like im defiling english saying mum

Xbehave
February 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
THAT WAS UNCALLD FOR.

NO THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR.... it was what we brits call a JOKE

forrestcupp
February 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
What's wrong with having convicts as ancestors?

tadcan
February 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
My Granny decided to buy a computer. So I had to go to the store with her. She was determined to not get any more then she had to and not be ripped off.

So when the salesman talked about hardware and software. "There'll be no software on my computer" came the quick retort.

I wish I'd been able to record that day. I had to explain everything the salesman said in ultra simplistic language or strange metaphors.

They wanted to charge €60 per month for technical support........

The guy kept insisting. When he listed off what they do, I kept thinking, I can do that, I that can do that. It sounded like a big deal but was really simple or strange 'We reparation the hard drive' eh, why?

Sorry this rant is a bit off topic.

Toffeeapple
February 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
my mum understands that linux doesn't get any spy ware or viruses or anything. But my dad doesn't, i think its cause he's a fat old retard that smokes and doesn't live with me :lolflag:

I just want to say that that made me laugh.. : )

lots..

but then I have drank a bottle and a bit of wine...