PDA

View Full Version : Add onto this list of applications

chris4585
February 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM
I've came up with a list of applications by their category, name, if they're heavy, light or command line based, then a short description about the program or package, not everything is filled in 100% because i dont know all of the values.

I want people to add onto this list, tell me a program and their values i asked for please, and i will add them to the main list

The format should go category / app / heav, light, or command line / description
P.S. This thread will probably never be finished as you can see i'm slowly working on it

File Browsing

mc - command line - GNU Midnight Commander is a text-mode full-screen file manager. It uses a two panel interface and a subshell for command execution. It includes an internal editor with syntax highlighting and an internal viewer with support for binary files.
krusader - - Krusader is a simple, easy, powerful, twin-panel (commander-style) file manager for KDE and other desktops, similar to Midnight Commander (C) or Total Commander (C).
bsc - - bsc (BeeSoft Commander) is a graphical file manager (similar to the midnight commander) that displays two directories at once for easier copying and moving of files.
gnome-commander - light - GNOME Commander is a fast and powerful graphical filemanager for the Gnome desktop environment, it has a "two-pane" interface in the tradition of Norton and Midnight Commander.
Dolphin - - Dolphin is not intended to be a competitor to Konqueror, the default KDE file manager: Konqueror acts as universal viewer being able to show HTML pages, text documents, directories and a lot more, whereas Dolphin focuses on being only a file manager. This approach allows to optimize the user interface for the task of file management.
nuatilus - heavy - Nautilus is the official file manager for the GNOME desktop. It allows to browse directories, preview files and launch applications associated with them.
xfe - light - Xfe is based on the popular but discontinued X Win Commander. It is desktop independent and is written using the C++ Fox Toolkit. It has Windows Commander or MS-Explorer look and is very fast and simple.
emelfm – light - emelFM is a file manager that implements the popular two-window design. It features a simple GTK+ interface, a flexible file typing scheme, and a built-in command line for executing commands without opening an xterm.
emelfm2 - light- emelFM2 is a file manager that implements the popular two-pane design. It features a simple GTK+2 interface, a flexible file typing scheme, and a built-in command line for executing commands without opening an xterm.
pcmanfm - light - an extremely fast and lightweight file manager for X, PCMan File Manager is a gtk2 based file manager for the X Window System.
rox-filer – light - ROX-Filer is a simple and easy to use graphical file manager for X11 based on the GTK2 library. It uses a uniform drag-and-drop approach for every operation.
xcruise – light - Xcruiser (formerly known as XCruise) allows you to fly over the file system in a 3D-view. Every file appears as a planet, directories appear as galaxies, and symbolic links appear as worm-holes. You can fly about this space world by moving and clicking your mouse, or by using your keyboard.
konqueror - - Konqueror is the file manager for the K Desktop Environment. It supports basic file management on local UNIX filesystems, from simple cut/copy and paste operations to advanced remote and local network file browsing.

Accessories

Calculator

qalculate-gtk – heavy - Qalculate! is small and simple to use but with much power and versatility underneath.
gcalctool - heavy - gcalctool is a powerful graphical calculator with financial, logical and scientific modes. It uses a multiple precision package to do its arithmetic to give a high degree of accuracy.
xcalc - light - xcalc is a small tool that was part of xbase-clients.
calc - - An advanced calculator and mathematical tool for Emacs

Terminal

gnome-terminal - heavy - GNOME Terminal features the ability to use multiple terminals in a single window (tabs) and profiles support.
xterm – light - xterm is a terminal emulator for the X Window System. It provides DEC VT102 and Tektronix 4014 compatible terminals for programs that cannot use the window system directly. This version implements ISO/ANSI colors and most of the control sequences used by DEC VT220 terminals.
eterm - - A terminal emulator in the spirit of xterm or rxvt, eterm uses an Enlightenment style config file, as well as themes. The Imlib2 graphics engine is used to render images. This version supports background images, pixmapped scrollbars, pseudo-transparency, and POSIX threads.
aterm - - Aterm is a colour vt102 terminal emulator, based on rxvt 2.4.8 with some additions of fast transparency, intended as an xterm replacement for users who do not require features such as Tektronix 4014 emulation and toolkit-style configurability.
tilda - heavy - Terminal taking after the likeness of many classic terminals from first person shooter games, Quake, Doom and Half-Life (to name a few), where the terminal has no border and is hidden from the desktop until a key is pressed.
Konsole - - Konsole is an X terminal emulation which provides a command-line interface (CLI) while using the graphical K Desktop Environment. Konsole helps to better organize user's desktop by containing multiple sessions in a single window (a less cluttered desktop).
RXVT-Unicode
Sakura - - tabbed terminal
xfce4-terminal - -

Search tool

beagle
catfish - light

Notes

xpad
tomboy - heavy
notecase
zim

Internet

sylpheed[/]B] - light
[B]balsa - light
mutt – command line
evolution - heavy
thunderbird - heavy

Instant Message or Chat/IRC

centerim - command line
weechat – command line
irssi – command line
mercury messenger
konversation – heavy
bitchx
sim – light
amsn
pidgin
finch – command line
gaim
kopete
xchat - heavy

FTP

filezilla
nautilus
gFTP
Konqueror
Krusader

Remote Control

Torrent

deluge -
rtorrent – command line
transmission-gtk
bittornado
bittorrent
azureus - heavy -
ktorrent

Web Browser

Epiphany
konqueror
firefox – heavy
Galeon
kazehakase – light
links – command line
links2 - command line - This is a very light web browser you can run it in the terminal text mode, or use the -g option for graphical use
dillo - light
opera

P2P

limewire
frostwire
linuxdcpp - - Linux port of the famous dc++ client, This package provides the linux port of the famous, windows client dc++ for the P2P network Direct Connect.

Video

Players

Kaffeine
mplayer
totem
smplayer
vlc

Editors

Kino - - Kino allows you to record, create, edit, and play movies recorded with DV camcorders. This program uses many keyboard commands for fast navigating and editing inside the movie.

Sound

CD/DVD burning tools

serpentine - - create audio cds from music files and playlists
brasero - - Easy to use CD/DVD burning application where you can: Burn, Copy and Erase CD/DVD, On-the-fly burning of CD/DVD, Append data to multisession CD/DVD, Burn Audio CD, CD-Text writing for Audio CD
graveman - - create and copy data and audio cds
xcdroast - - create a cd
Gnomebaker - -

CD/DVD Ripping and burning

K3b - heavy - very nice program tons of options

CD/DVD ripping tools

sound-juicer – - cd ripper for gnome
abcde – command line – rip cds through the terminal
grip – light – rip cds or play cds
asunder - - rip cds into wav, mp3, ogg or flac
dvdisaster – - with this program you can fix old scratched cds and dvds, or create and copy
KAudioCreator - mid

Music Organizers

quod libet – light
xfmedia - light
xmms – light
audacious – light
beep-media-player - light
banshee – heavy
amarok – heavy
exaile – heavy
songbird
cmus – command line
moc – command line - (the command is mocp)
mpd
sonata - light
gmpc
listen - heavy - Listen is an audio player which helps you to organize your music collections.

Graphics

digikam - - An easy to use and powerful digital photo management application, which makes importing, organizing and manipulating digital photos a "snap". An interface is provided to connect to your digital camera, preview the images and download and/or delete them.
ksnapshot – - take snapshots of your session
scrot – command line – nice command line screen shot capturing program
Gimp – - program for making digital art
F-spot - - F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management application. It allows for importing of your existing photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers, as well as doing simple edits of photos (e.g. rotating).
Inkscape
xsane - - xsane can be run as a stand-alone program or through the GIMP image manipulation program. In stand-alone mode, xsane can save an image to a file in a variety of image formats, serve as a frontend to a fax program, or send an image to a printer.
blender
Kolourpaint
mtpaint - light
Krita
Karbon
Agave
Cinepaint
feh - light - very light weight image viewer
gpicview - -
gcolor2

Games

Ktron
liquidwar - - game where you control a fleat of dots and you absorb your opponents fleet of dots very fun and addictive

Office

PDF Reader

epdfviewer - light - gets the job done!
xpdf - light - The tools include xpdf, a PDF viewer (in the package xpdf-reader), and PDF converters (including to/from PostScript) (in the package xpdf-utils).

Word Processor

abiword - light

Suits

Gnome Office
KDE Office
Open Office - heavy - complete with word processor, data base, math and spread sheet applications

Spread Sheets

gnumeric

Programming

Editors
scite
geany
anjuta
gedit
nano – command line
vim – command line
nedit
leafpad
mousepad
kate - - advanced text editor for KDE
kdevelop - - An IDE for Unix/X11

System Tools

System Monitors

conky - light
gnome-system-monitor - heavy
gkrellm - light - very lightweight, alternative for conky

Partitioning Tools

gparted
parted

File Analyzer

Filelight

Emulators

virtualbox
qemu
vmware

Education

Science

Stellarium - - view the sky day or night in real time shows constellations of the stars.
kalzium - - Periodic table very descriptive

Math

Open Office math

Desktop panels

fbpanel – light –
pypanel
gnome-panel
visibility
Kicker
tint task manager

Desktop Environments

Gnome - heavy
KDE - heavy
xfce - light
fvwm-crystal - light
enlightenment or e17 - light

Windows Managers

fluxbox - light
fvwm - light
openbox - light
icewm - light
pekwm - light

hhhhhx
February 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
one word : WOW!

SomeGuyDude
February 1st, 2008, 09:22 AM
VERY nice! Might make for interesting looking around should I tire of my current software...

p_quarles
February 1st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Some additions:

File managers -- Krusader and Gnome Commander

Terminals -- Konsole, RXVT-Unicode, Sakura

FTP -- Konqueror, Krusader,

Browser -- Epiphany

Video -- Kaffeine

Optical disk burning -- Gnomebaker

Optical disk burning & ripping -- K3b

Graphics -- Krita, Karbon, Agave, Cinepaint

Many other additions as well, but that's a start.

graabein
February 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
May I suggest a little formatting? At least make the application type header bold or something.

urukrama
February 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Here are some additions of apps I use:

File manager: Thunar
Terminal: xfce4-terminal, Sakura
Window manager: pekwm, icewm
calculator: xcalc
graphics: gcolor2, agave
audio: gmpc, sonata
'panels': visibility, tint task manager
system monitor: gkrellm
editors: leafpad, mousepad
browser: epiphany
notes: xpad, notecase
image viewer: feh, gpicview
Pdf reader: epdfviewer

billgoldberg
February 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
p2p: frostwire (not in repo's)

Trail
February 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Here is a list of my opinions. I added the option "mid".

File Browsing

Dolphin - hmm dunno, seems light enough
nuatilus - mid
konqueror - heavy

Accessories

Calculator - light

Internet

E-mail-
evolution - heavy

Instant Message / Chat / IRC -
konversation mid
gaim - light
kopete - light

azureus - HEAVYYYYY I CAN'T BREATHE
ktorrent - mid

web browser -
konqueror - heavy
firefox heavy

P2P -
linuxdcpp - heavy

Video

mplayer - light
smplayer - i dont know, loads lightning fast, I would put in under mid
vlc - heavy

Sound

CD/DVD ripping tools-
KAudioCreator - mid

music organizors/library -
amarok heavy

Graphics

Gimp heavy

Office

openoffice - heavy
koffice - heavy

Programming

Editors -
gedit - light
nano command line
vim command line
kate - light
kdevelop - heavy

Desktop Environments

Gnome - heavy
KDE - heavy

bobbocanfly
February 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Decided to give Liquidwars a go based on that description and its brilliant! Thanks for that one.

fuscia
February 1st, 2008, 05:51 PM
nautilus is a moose.

chris4585
February 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM
Some additions:

File managers -- Krusader and Gnome Commander

Terminals -- Konsole, RXVT-Unicode, Sakura

FTP -- Konqueror, Krusader,

Browser -- Epiphany

Video -- Kaffeine

Optical disk burning -- Gnomebaker

Optical disk burning & ripping -- K3b

Graphics -- Krita, Karbon, Agave, Cinepaint

Many other additions as well, but that's a start.

thank you i left some out i've heard about before, and those are some good apps i left out too!

chris4585
February 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Please go back and read my first post if you have posted before this comment, i have edited some a bit to make things easier to understand

also thank you everyone for helping, i've added almost every program to the list that has been said

Specter043
February 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
im - centerim - command line

music - Listen - Heavy

urukrama
February 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Please go back and read my first post if you have posted before this comment, i have edited some a bit to make things easier to understand

You can add that Pekwm is light (it uses slightly less resources than Openbox).

chris4585
February 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
ty, btw i will soon enough be adding as many descriptions as i can, i've just been a bit lazy

qazwsx
February 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Some apps
FTP/SFTP - dolphin (thanks to kde and kio)
Panel - kicker (soon RIP)
Alarm clock - kalarm
Calculator - kcalc
Notes - knotes
Education - Marble (KDE4 globe)

RedSquirrel
February 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Editor: gvim. It's the same as vim but with a GTK+2 GUI. package: vim-gtk. It's light.

fbpanel is not limited to Fluxbox (I'm using it with Openbox at the moment). Oh, and Fluxbox is a WM, not a DE. :)

chris4585
February 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Editor: gvim. It's the same as vim but with a GTK+2 GUI. package: vim-gtk. It's light.

fbpanel is not limited to Fluxbox (I'm using it with Openbox at the moment). Oh, and Fluxbox is a WM, not a DE. :)

i'll have to try gvim, also

Desktop Environments & Window Mangers

Gnome - heavy
KDE - heavy
xfce - light
fluxbox - light
fvwm - light
fvwm-crystal - light
openbox - light
enlgithenment or e16/17 - light
icevm - light
pekwm - light

i put both DE and WM under the same category, i'm not 100% sure about all of them, i think only kde, gnome and xfce4 are DE's and the rest are WM's right? correct me please

chris4585
February 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
bump

chris4585
February 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM
bump

RedSquirrel
February 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
i put both DE and WM under the same category, i'm not 100% sure about all of them, i think only kde, gnome and xfce4 are DE's and the rest are WM's right? correct me please

(I've corrected the spelling of these in blue. :))

DE:
Gnome
KDE
xfce
fvwm-crystal (a DE in a sense -- look at the website to decide)

WM:
fluxbox - light
fvwm - light
openbox - light
icewm - light
pekwm - light

enlightenment or e16/17 - I'm not sure. Probably a WM, but they're calling E17 a "desktop shell" and it comes with some applications. It's up to you. E16 has mostly been considered a WM, I guess.

Under fbpanel, you had mentioned that it was for the Fluxbox DE, but I see you have fixed that now. :grin:

At a glance, you have two entries for links2.

I haven't read through the first post in full detail. I'll try to come back later when I have some time. ;)

chris4585
February 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
thanks for the help, i will correct my misspellings, and reorganize the DE's and WM's, atm i dont have internet at my house, so i wont be on for a few days, right now i'm at school :/

sujoy
February 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
good job!

chris4585
February 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM
good job!

thanks =)

PCMan
February 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Desktop panels
fbpanel light
pypanel
gnome-panel
visibility
Kicker
tint task manager

For those who like lightweight panels, especially the users of fbpanel, lxpanel will be a very good choice.
LXPanel is derived from fbpanel, and it's more feature-rich than the original fbpanel but still keep the resource usage low at the same time.

http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/LXPanel
http://lxde.sourceforge.net/

Here is a screenshot:
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=92450