PDA

View Full Version : What linux or computer event are you most excited for?

PurposeOfReason
February 1st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Personally, I have two.

1) The release of firefox3. While I'm sure it will be bugged like no other, the supporting of gtk looks promising as seen from the betas.

2) KDE 4.1. KDE 4 is nice but no matter what anybody wants to argue, it was release so that developers could develop on it. Now with kwin able to composite, plasma, and even more integration into itself, it really is amazing. While I currently use XFCE, this will make me switch. It will quite possibly be the first DE to really give any of the big players a shock. Now if only application didn't start with a K and firefox was written in QT . . .

Also for KDE, from what I understand, this mockup will be quite possible and it is gorgeous.
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Is+This+It%3F?content=64298

igknighted
February 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
KDE4.1 by an immense margin. I have never been a firefox fan and probably never will. In fact really the only plusses I have for firefox are 1) its not IE, and 2) it's open source. Beyond that... give me Opera and Konqueror any day, or the new epiphany with webkit. It's a great concept... a skelaton browser that is standards compliant that you can infinitely customize... unfortunately it doesn't come close to that ideal, and I don't see them coming close without gecko getting the boot, or a complete re-write.

p_quarles
February 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Duke Nukem Forever.

Tristicus
February 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM
The new Firefox def.

Also, Hardy Heron full realease.

Also, an Ubuntu version ESPECIALLY for PS3 (I hope they make one lol).

hardyn
February 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
9" version of the Asus Eeepc and 32GB SD cards.

Whiffle
February 1st, 2008, 05:27 AM
Having time to finish the game of HL2 I started this time last year :/

jcwmoore
February 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM
two events....
for myself OOo version 3.0 due out in september,
and

Amarok 2.0 with support for windows...
now i don't run windows myself, but.. I work for a MS shop so i run windows at work, life will be much better with Amarok and my music collection at the office

:popcorn:

PurposeOfReason
February 1st, 2008, 05:40 AM
KDE4.1 by an immense margin. I have never been a firefox fan and probably never will. In fact really the only plusses I have for firefox are 1) its not IE, and 2) it's open source. Beyond that... give me Opera and Konqueror any day, or the new epiphany with webkit. It's a great concept... a skelaton browser that is standards compliant that you can infinitely customize... unfortunately it doesn't come close to that ideal, and I don't see them coming close without gecko getting the boot, or a complete re-write.

If you use KDE, how does Opera integrate into it?

woedend
February 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Firefox 3 definetely, although minefield works well.
Gtk based frontend for pacman...
madwifi to support ar5007 i think it is? instead of having to recompile them patched on every install to get it to work.
most of all--- grumpy groundhog or equivalent.

Would be nice to set up a rolling release latest package ubuntu repo, different from dev versions in that knowingly borked packages wouldn't be committed...
similar to debian-sid, which has few borked packaged as of recently.

PurposeOfReason
February 1st, 2008, 06:00 AM
I'm pretty sure pacman has a gui, just nothing official. I doubt it ever will (unless already announced) as arch is all KISS.

arsenic23
February 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM
Quadcores under $100

Power over eSATA

Gas powered laptops

Spore

yatt
February 1st, 2008, 06:20 AM
Intel Discrete Graphics.

DjBones
February 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
somethin to give mac a run for its money i guess :wink:
i'm definately excited for Firefox3 the most, lets just hope all the extensions will be updated to work with it by then..

maybe the next big OpenOffice.org or Abiword? some improvements on the dictionary and other functionalities have been long overdue lol

edit - can't forget my personal fav though, Stellarium, the best open source planetarium software out there to my knowledge,
came out with a new one actually this month, but i'll definately be pysched when they bump it to v1.0 one of these days lol

hhhhhx
February 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
nvidia 790i mobo

hyper_ch
February 1st, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm looking forward to the day where Ubunut Bug #1 will be makred as solved.

khensucat
February 1st, 2008, 08:44 AM
Duke Nukem Forever.

:lolflag:

I'm lauging so hard right now. I've been waiting for this game since it was announced, before the birth of my first child.

She's 8 years old now :lol:

ECPCLINUX
February 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
1- FIREFOX 3
2- AMAROK 2.0
3- UBUNTU 8.04 LTS HARDY HERON (STABLE RELEASE) HARDY HERON

BONUS:
... UBUNTU BECOMING THE MOST USED DESKTOP OS IN THE PLANET!!! :guitar:

meborc
February 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
9" version of the Asus Eeepc and 32GB SD cards.

you took my thoughts :confused: now i need actually to think something else also :D

but yes... I NEED 9'' EEE :) i was so close buying the 7'' one, if 9'' is released i am getting one for sure...

firefox 3 also, but not as much as i already use the beta

broadcom drivers for linux :) for now i must settle with using ndiswrapper

in notebook market in general - 50% of new notebooks with SSD's... cooler/lighter/faster/longer battery life

Scarath
February 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
impatiently waiting on the p&|a (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7004794073.html)

Polygon
February 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Duke Nukem Forever.

this might not be as vapourware as you may think

team fortress 2 was in the same exact boat, and all it took was valve releasing a trailer of it one day.

and not to mention they released a small teaser trailer for DNF a couple weeks ago.

kostkon
February 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
As fas as Ubuntu is concerned, then PulseAudio (the Holy Grail for sound in Linux, I believe), Firefox 3, and GVFS-enabled Nautilus. In general, I am excited about the upcoming Ubuntu version which will be the best release until now (partly because of the above innovations).

Sunflower1970
February 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Firefox3. I use Minefield now, though, and it works flawlessly for me on Windows and Linux.
Opera 9.50. I use the beta now and love it.
Amarok 2.0 for Windows. I want to use it at work instead of Windows Media Player
KDE4. I think I'll be switching from Gnome to KDE once this is out...Been playing around with KDE now, and I like it more and more.
The day ZFS will be able to be used on Linux, either through FUSE or somehow the license deals get worked through.

TheOrangePeanut
February 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Ati drivers that don't freeze my computer, either open source or proprietary

lespaul_rentals
February 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
1- FIREFOX 3
2- AMAROK 2.0
3- UBUNTU 8.04 LTS HARDY HERON (STABLE RELEASE) HARDY HERON

BONUS:
... UBUNTU BECOMING THE MOST USED DESKTOP OS IN THE PLANET!!! :guitar:

You to push your Caps Lock button. ;)

DM was on fire!
February 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Ati drivers that don't freeze my computer, either open source or proprietary

YESSS.
Hopefully they will one day be able to fix the problems with ATI Radeon 7000. :\

Also looking forward to KDE 4.1 and the release of Konqueror for Windows. ^^

Flyingjester
February 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Hardy Heron, and pulseaudio

hardyn
February 1st, 2008, 11:49 PM
the R7000 is a reeeeallly old board now, i would not count on there ever being support for it, outside of the support that already exists.

YESSS.
Hopefully they will one day be able to fix the problems with ATI Radeon 7000. :\

Also looking forward to KDE 4.1 and the release of Konqueror for Windows. ^^

Mateo
February 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
this might not be as vapourware as you may think

team fortress 2 was in the same exact boat, and all it took was valve releasing a trailer of it one day.

and not to mention they released a small teaser trailer for DNF a couple weeks ago.

DNF has been in development at least twice as long as TF. It's been through something like 4 or 5 engine changes alone. Even if were released tomorrow and bounced Half-Life from the "best FPS ever" title it would still be a tremendous waste of money and time

sharperguy
February 2nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Probably KDE 4.1

I am currently trying to install debian testing with KDE 4.0 on it

I'm also a fairly inexperianced programmer so I'm interested to see what reviews the new API's in KDE4 get because so far I've only written applications for GNOME.

Freddy
February 2nd, 2008, 12:57 AM
My biggest wish for 2008 is for Enlightenment17 to go to beta or at least alpha ;-), well I don't think that this will happen so I'll have to go with my second choice, which is KDE 4.1.

PurposeOfReason
February 2nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
From what I've heard, even KDE 4.0.1 is a huge improvement. When kdemod reflects this, I'll give it a go. July can't come soon enough.

DouglasAWh
February 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
1) The release of firefox3. While I'm sure it will be bugged like no other, the supporting of gtk looks promising as seen from the betas.

I was excited about this, but then I tried it and it still has the memory leak. Now, I use it despite the leak, but I know people who use IE instead because of this issue, so if for no other reason I'd prefer that fix. The last ubuntu upgrade broke some of my stuff and it took a while to fix, so that's kinda scary...but eventually got it all fixed/learned to live with it. I have mixed feelings about Vista SP1. In some respects I'd like my stuff at work to work, but on the other hand, I like seeing M$ suffer.

Somebody mentioned better ATI drivers, and I'd like this. I'd like dual monitors to "just work" like it does in *******. Yep, that's one of the reasons I haven't switch my desktop and just my laptop. Once I get synergy working in ubuntu though, I might be able to make the switch. I haven't tried ubuntu to ubuntu yet, just ubuntu to Vista, which does not work. Vista to XP does work though. Perhaps I'd be more excited about the next ubuntu realize if I actually knew what was going in it...maybe I'll read up now. :)

ch_123
February 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
The release of ReactOS.

icechen1
February 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM
-Firefox 3
-Linux having a better market share
-Wine 1.0 (until most windows program are supported)

Jeffery Mewtamer
February 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Microsoft's Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
Converting my entire family to Linux.

Okay, thinking more realistic:

Perfected DirectX emulation in Wine.

The addition of a "Barebones KDE" metapackage to the repositories.

Mateo
February 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
The release of ReactOS.

never going to happen. even if it did, it's meant to be a WindowsNT clone, no one uses that anymore anyways.

oomingmak
February 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
it's meant to be a WindowsNT clone, no one uses that anymore anyways.
Oh really? No one uses NT based OSs anymore?

Mateo
February 14th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Oh really? No one uses NT based OSs anymore?

Almost no one. Probably fewer people than Linux users.

jpittack
February 14th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I am looking forward to the AMD Fusion processors.

Proper support for deeper sleep states of amd turion x2, and any processor that I use after that for mobile computing.

oomingmak
February 14th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Almost no one. Probably fewer people than Linux users.
So what are Windows 2000, Windows XP and Vista based on then, if not NT?

Also, ReactOS is not meant to be an "clone" of NT, the ReactOS web site says:

ReactOS is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html)