PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Ubuntu Blog about gaming...

geekygirl
January 31st, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hi there,

I have been researching for a while about the amount of information (apart from the wiki and in these forums) available when it comes to building a gaming PC yourself, what hardware to look for especially for more high end gaming rigs for 3D gaming and capable of high fps.

There is a myriad of information out there about just such a topic but there is an assumption made that all hardware being selected and used is for a Windows based PC, I have been unsuccessful so far to find any such building sites that exist purely for someone looking to game soley on Ubuntu using either Wine or the native Linux games.

As such, and as is evident with many people asking for help getting their hardware working with Ubuntu in these forums, people get advice and build their gaming rigs and THEN try to get Ubuntu working with it.

I propose to collate information about high end gear aimed at gamers and PC enthusiasts and overclockers that will 'just work' and game really well. Rather than getting the OS to work with the hardware, why not just build a rig that you know works with the OS from first install without any heartache?

I do understand there is Hardware Certification teams out there as well as the wiki, and there are manufacturers like Dell and System76 building PC's with Ubuntu pre-installed. However I would like to gather and research (I have a tendancy to upgrade the main gaming rig every 6 months) high end PC hardware that works and works well for gaming on Ubuntu. The end result will be a website that I will be setting up (I have the domain name ubuntugamingpc.com registered and am currently pointing it at a Blogger page for the time being) a website that will collate data and keep up to date with hardware and tech for gaming and overclocking but we will only focus on hardware that does work out the box with Ubuntu. As more hardware gets to this point it will also be added. It will also have some 'recommended PC build' for the discerning Ubuntu gamer/overclocker.

The ultimate goal long term is to show the wider computing community especially overclockers and gamers and hardware enthusiasts, that Ubuntu is a very very real alternative for this type of computer build and it can and will perform as well as any Windows based build. To be able to stray away from the opinion some of the more hardcore PC builders and gamers that Linux runs on older and superceeded hardware (which it does well...but I like fast shiny new hardware!!) and has nothing but bugs with new hardware.

I already have a few people keen on being involved with testing and benchmarking, and hardware reviews but I am keen on getting as many people involved as possible as it will be a big task and I wont be able to buy and test new hardware by myself all the time! There is a Launchpad team "Ubuntu Gaming PC Builds" that I have setup as a point of contact for interested people and the website: http://www.ubuntugamingpc.com (http://www.ubuntugamingpc.com)where the blog is currently to start writing about whats happening and progress.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

lightstream
February 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Are you going to focus on running games under WINE, or native Linux games (of which there are too few)?

If WINE, one thing I would suggest doing would be to show performance stats (FPS, load times maybe), and screenshots of different, recent games running in Linux vs Windows, on identical hardware -- ie dual boot.

I think this would persuade gamers that Linux is really worth a shot. Also it would be useful for there to be a way to add the steps needed to get various games to run on each rig. This could come up with potentially interesting stuff, maybe some hardware combinations are better for WINE than others etc.

kool_kat_os
February 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
I like games:)

K.Mandla
February 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hi there,

I have been researching for a while about the amount of information (apart from the wiki and in these forums) available when it comes to building a gaming PC yourself, what hardware to look for especially for more high end gaming rigs for 3D gaming and capable of high fps. ...
Cool, make sure you submit it to Dr Small's Linux Blogs project (http://php.8ez.com/linuxblogs/).

geekygirl
February 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Are you going to focus on running games under WINE, or native Linux games (of which there are too few)?

If WINE, one thing I would suggest doing would be to show performance stats (FPS, load times maybe), and screenshots of different, recent games running in Linux vs Windows, on identical hardware -- ie dual boot.

I think this would persuade gamers that Linux is really worth a shot. Also it would be useful for there to be a way to add the steps needed to get various games to run on each rig. This could come up with potentially interesting stuff, maybe some hardware combinations are better for WINE than others etc.

This is a great suggestion. I plan to focus on Wine gaming, ie the more mainstream games available for Windows. The Linux games that are out there are awesome (personally I really like Nexuiz!) but your suggestion about looking at what hardware configs work best for gaming with Wine is exactly what I am hoping to be able to show.

Currently I am in the process of collecting data for hardware as my gaming rig (in sig) is due for an update (yes it is - told you I like shiny and new lol) and whilst Crysis tends to be a bit of a holy grail at the moment for hardware even in the Windows world, I have noticed people have had it running under Wine..now there is a challenge but I think for Linux that will have to be done with some fair substantial processing power not only graphically but CPU wise as well for that extra layer of Wine. Only time and peserverence will tell lol

I am going to keep coming back here t see if there are any more comments, as I do believe the more the merrier for a project like this.

In the meantime I have changed the blog site from Blogger (just doesnt do what I really want it to do) to a Wordpress Blog

http://ubuntugamingpc.wordpress.com/

I will have the domain 'ubuntugamingpc.com' pointing at it as soon as I top up my Pay Pal account lol

I have designed a basic logo for the site on Gimp so any advice on the overall appearance and layout will also be appreciated - no point putting something together that most people really dislike and therefore wont be coming back to read it!

Cheers, and thanks again :)

forrestcupp
February 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Someone actually got Crysis working in Wine? Most people can't even get it working in Windows.

geekygirl
February 2nd, 2008, 03:03 AM
Yeah it depends on the hardware apparently gauging by some of the reveiws at wineHQ: Link (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10107&iTestingId=20031)
But there are definately people out there keen to get it going properly like here: Link (http://crymod.com/thread.php?postid=129293)

There are some screenshots here (http://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?iAppId=5880&iVersionId=) but there is a lot work yet to be done to get it running as well as something like World of Warcraft. From the screenshots there tends to be rendering issu es - probably more to do with the way wine interacts with the Crytek engine.

I am not really too sure as I am not really a programmer at all hence sticking with hardware!

If they can get Crysis to run slightly better (and I dont doubt it will be able to be played eventually) I seem to think that hardware will play just as big a part for a Linux gaming rig as is has and does with Windows.