PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus and Ubuntu

davbren
January 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hey, I was just wondering for the next version of Ubuntu, I would like to see nautilus/Ubuntu with better file manager. However I'm not sure where one begins and the other ends... I haven't really noticed any difference in the file manager in the whole time I've used Ubuntu and thats been since 6.10. I have however noticed vast differences in the rest of the OS. I just don't know where the different components start such as Ubuntu, Gnome or nautilus. I see Windows explorer and it has a lot of good features that nautilus/Ubuntu doesn't have, for example, proper grouping.

I would just like your opinions on this, also some explanation wouldn't go a miss.

ssam
January 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
hardy will have the new gvfs based nautilus. it probably makes more difference to devs than users, but it will bring some new features.

from screen shots i have seen they have improved the way moving files around works.
http://stompbox.typepad.com/blog/2008/01/gvfs-enabled-na.html

there is talk of intergrating the new polacykit stuff http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/

Basically, you’d do a file operation on some system file, which gives you an error dialog saying you don’t have permissions to do this. But the error dialog has a button that lets you authenticate (with e.g. the root password) and continue the operation with root rights.

shad0w_walker
January 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
The policy integration would be awesome. Imagine the hassle you can save directing people to run X command by just telling them to click whatever. I know that the command line option is quite frequently the best/most efficient however there are still a huge blob of people that don't want to touch it with a barge pole, not to mention this is one less thing the 'You need to constantly use the CLI' whiners can bitch about.

swoll1980
January 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Being able to access the root acount through nautilus seems like a no brainer. This is one of the most anoying things in the world of Ubuntu, also gedit if you alter a file that requires root access it will not stop you untill you try to save it then it will give you a message telling you that you need root access but gives you no option to gain root access this should have been a no brainer as well. the devs dropped the ball on this one.