PDA

View Full Version : Hidemaru for Linux or similar

punong_bisyonaryo
January 31st, 2008, 04:17 PM
I don't know if anyone tried this before, it's a text editor called Hidemaru (http://hide.maruo.co.jp/index.html). It's really fast, and to my imagination it seems faster than Notepad. But the single greatest asset I believe is the ridiculously fast grep search that it has. Simple to use too.

The catch of course is that it's *******-only. I use it in the office in place of the Visual Studio IDE, which I use only to compile and runs dog slow and hogs system resources.

It's really useful when you have a really large codebase with lots and lots of files (created by hundreds of developers). You can instantly jump to a file indicated in the grep results with the click of a button.

So basically, I'm looking for a lightweight text editor with very fast grep capabilities integrated in so I can perform just as well on my Linux box.

Thanks!

hyper_ch
January 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
gedit doesn't support grep?
How about KATE?

punong_bisyonaryo
February 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
gedit doesn't support grep?
How about KATE?

Gedit, no it has no built-in grep.
And Kate, well it looks nice, still no grep, but it looks nice. I'll have to see if it's good enough.

I need to wade through a lot of files (I mean a lot) and tens of thousands of lines of code.

If what you are saying is I grep from command line and open the found files with gedit, that would be counterproductive, or not as productive as if it was built-in, and really easy.

hyper_ch
February 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
There are lots of other editors... have a look at synaptic... I'm sure one of them features grep.

punong_bisyonaryo
February 1st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, I have done that myself. I would not have posted in the forums for a recommendation if I haven't. The closest thing I found was medit, and while it does have grep features, it sometimes chokes or hangs and does not search as fast. Do you have other recommendations?

Do any others out there have any?

hyper_ch
February 1st, 2008, 03:31 PM
maybe WINE?