PDA

View Full Version : A small victory for Linux users in Indiana

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2008, 03:40 PM
WTHR is Indiana's NBC station. On their web site, they have the ability to watch the latest weather report in streaming video. They used to require Windows Media Player to view the weather video, which pretty much made it impossible for us to watch in Linux. So about a year ago, I emailed them in a civil manner explaining that Linux users were not able to watch the video for that reason. I explained that we are able to view Flash videos, and even Windows media videos, but we just can't do it with Windows Media Player. I nicely asked them to change their format to one that is friendly to other platforms.

I never heard back from them, but today I visited their web site. I saw that they have indeed changed their format, and I was able to watch the weather video without any tweaking; it just came on!

I was one happy guy. I made sure to email the person in charge of the web site to thank them for the change.

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Good. Dr. Jones must have used his whip.

amazingtaters
January 31st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Wait, there's actually another Linux user in Indiana!?!?!? I'm so utterly shocked. Well this is good news I guess. I can get local weather now! And the radar view is a lot better, it's not the whole state like a lot of the stations around here use. I will finally be able to see what's going on in my part of Indy.

jan quark
January 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM
one step at a time and soon linux dominates the world... well,, you know what I mean...

zeller
January 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
W00t! Go Hoosiers! Muncie, IN here. Linux all the way. I'm converting my wife on the home computer.

Now you just need to send an appropriate email to the people responsible for tax software to get it in gear. Only thing holding her back.

I already submitted a suggestion on one of their sites...doubt it would be taken seriously.

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2008, 06:30 PM
Now you just need to send an appropriate email to the people responsible for tax software to get it in gear. Only thing holding her back.
True. If you're talking about filing your annual income tax report, though, most of them have the exact same thing in web based form on their web sites. You can do it that way in Linux, and it's the same thing. Most of them even allow you to fill it out for free and pay the price if you want to e-file or print it.

But don't push it too hard, though. Sometimes it's nice to have one computer around that still runs Windows.

And it's glad to meet a few more Hoosiers.

amazingtaters
February 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM
lol I'm not really a Hoosier. I'm from Missouri, just goin to school here in Indy. So crazy off topic question. Why do you like being hoosiers? In St. Louis a hoosier is pretty much a white trash redneck.

forrestcupp
February 1st, 2008, 02:45 AM
What's wrong with white trash?

I think people in every state think that people from other states are white trash. We Hoosiers think Kentuckians are hillbillies, and Kentuckians think West Virginians are hillbillies. I'm sure that if you follow the circle around long enough, one of them will think that people from Missouri are white trash.

But the funny thing is that you think Hoosiers are white trash, but you came here and are probably paying out of state tuition just to learn from us.

zeller
February 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
True. If you're talking about filing your annual income tax report, though, most of them have the exact same thing in web based form on their web sites. You can do it that way in Linux, and it's the same thing. Most of them even allow you to fill it out for free and pay the price if you want to e-file or print it.

But don't push it too hard, though. Sometimes it's nice to have one computer around that still runs Windows.

And it's glad to meet a few more Hoosiers.

Ah, but the software my wife uses TaxCut (by H&R Block) isn't supported in Linux and they have no intention of allowing access to their online services to Linux users either. Their site recognizes that we have Linux and does not proceed. :(

I reinstalled Vista just for this purpose and Taxes are now done. But I don't want to have to do this every damn year. Sheesh!

I researched TurboTax and they do support Linux, but only online. That's a start but my wife refuses to use their services. :rolleyes:

forrestcupp
February 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
That's too bad. There are a lot of good web based services. TaxACT (https://www.taxactonline.com/index.asp) is a pretty good one. Tax Slayer (http://www.taxslayer.com/) even offers federal audit help with the premium service.

macogw
February 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Wait, there's actually another Linux user in Indiana!?!?!? I'm so utterly shocked. Well this is good news I guess. I can get local weather now! And the radar view is a lot better, it's not the whole state like a lot of the stations around here use. I will finally be able to see what's going on in my part of Indy.

Don't Indiana schools now require Linux? The governor is very into FOSS in education. One of my friends went to Indiana a few months ago for a FOSS conference there. I'm pretty sure at least some of the schools in Indiana are now required to use Linux in their labs.

Ripfox
February 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
lol I'm not really a Hoosier. I'm from Missouri, just goin to school here in Indy. So crazy off topic question. Why do you like being hoosiers? In St. Louis a hoosier is pretty much a white trash redneck.

I'm from Nebraska...what do you think I am? While it's true that I am white, I certainly am not trash. :)

Dr Small
February 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
What's wrong with white trash?

I think people in every state think that people from other states are white trash. We Hoosiers think Kentuckians are hillbillies, and Kentuckians think West Virginians are hillbillies. I'm sure that if you follow the circle around long enough, one of them will think that people from Missouri are white trash.

But the funny thing is that you think Hoosiers are white trash, but you came here and are probably paying out of state tuition just to learn from us.
Both of my parents are from WV :)

RedNikon
February 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ah, but the software my wife uses TaxCut (by H&R Block) isn't supported in Linux and they have no intention of allowing access to their online services to Linux users either. Their site recognizes that we have Linux and does not proceed. :(

I reinstalled Vista just for this purpose and Taxes are now done. But I don't want to have to do this every damn year. Sheesh!

I researched TurboTax and they do support Linux, but only online. That's a start but my wife refuses to use their services. :rolleyes:

Try TaxSlayer.com (http://www.taxslayer.com/) I have used it for 3 years now with no problems.

zeller
February 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Try TaxSlayer.com (http://www.taxslayer.com/) I have used it for 3 years now with no problems.

I wouldn't mind trying something else. Hey, as long as it works. She refuses. My better half said no and she's the one who does them. Thanks though.