PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Noticed?

painejake
January 31st, 2008, 12:53 AM
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but utorrent works well with crossover now :D me being a x windows user though this was great. I don't use wine but on www.utorrent.com it states that it works on wine too. Only version of utorrent I've been able to run properly on Ubuntu :)

Only one very minor thing wrong when you minimize it you have to open it from the task bar but right clicking the icon a selecting hide/show utorrent. Like i said nothing major, so im very happy now :popcorn:

EDIT
Forgot to mention only utorrent 1.7.7

regomodo
January 31st, 2008, 01:00 AM
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but utorrent works well with crossover now :D me being a x windows user though this was great. I don't use wine but on www.utorrent.com it states that it works on wine too. Only version of utorrent I've been able to run properly on Ubuntu :)

Only one very minor thing wrong when you minimize it you have to open it from the task bar but right clicking the icon a selecting hide/show utorrent. Like i said nothing major, so im very happy now :popcorn:

EDIT
Forgot to mention only utorrent 1.7.7

that error is exactly the same in wine. at least for me for a long time in debian (and i use the debian wine repo). Minimise and close don't work properly

user1397
January 31st, 2008, 01:01 AM
I found utorrent incredibly difficult to setup, and thought it would be even more so for an average joe. I set it up correctly, but I did not understand why you have to do all of those things to set up a bittorrent client (changing your IP address to static, configuring your port and seeing if it works through your router and firewall, etc.)

painejake
January 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah when i tried utorrent on wine a while ago it just wouldn't maximise no matter what but this version is alot smoother (crossover might be making a difference too)

EDIT @ ubuntuman001 yeah it is very fiddly to set up but its the only torrent client i seem to get a good speed with. I never bother changing my static IP and that and it seems to work ok.

Kingsley
January 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Why do you like utorrent so much? Is it because you're used to it on Windows or do you prefer exclusive features?

~LoKe
January 31st, 2008, 01:07 AM
I've been running uTorrent with WINE since I switched to Ubuntu over two years ago. It has worked flawlessly for me. I use rTorrent now, though.

painejake
January 31st, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think its a bit of both to be honest its the only torrent client ive liked really i think the whole windows thing plays quite a big part too and i do like the extra features although azureus has them too.

And what is rtorrent i am guessing it is utorrent for Linux.

~LoKe
January 31st, 2008, 01:16 AM
And what is rtorrent i am guessing it is utorrent for Linux.

No, not even close. rTorrent is a commandline (text-only) torrent program.

regomodo
January 31st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Why do you like utorrent so much? Is it because you're used to it on Windows or do you prefer exclusive features?

have you used it?the minuscule amount of ram it uses whilst containing so much can't really be compared to anything else. Plus, it runs like stink

RebounD11
January 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
I find Deluge better (faster and more efficient) than uTorrent. And it has a Linux native version.

Vadi
January 31st, 2008, 01:48 AM
I find Deluge better (faster and more efficient) than uTorrent. And it has a Linux native version.

Same. http://deluge-torrent.org/ if you want to check it out (.debs avialable)

painejake
January 31st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Command based :( ill stick wit utorrent nice easy buttons to press :D

I tell you what am i just weird but ive had ubuntu now since dec 07 and does anyone feel accomplished after instaling something in terminal i do :D

Oh and thanks Vadi ill have a little look :)

Kingsley
January 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I
have you used it?the minuscule amount of ram it uses whilst containing so much can't really be compared to anything else. Plus, it runs like stink

I used it a long time ago on Windows. Then I switched to Azureus for some reason... don't remember why. Now I use Deluge because it can get past my college's firewall somehow.

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Ktorrent works great for me. I don't really see the need to run a windows program, when a native linux version works great. What makes utorrant so great? A lot of people seem to like it. What does it do that ktorrent does not?

mips
January 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Ktorrent works great for me.
What does it do that ktorrent does not?

+1

bufsabre666
January 31st, 2008, 07:25 PM
What does it do that ktorrent does not?

not look like crap?

but my vote is for deluge, yay deluge, but my favorite tracker is testing clients and right now deluge is blocked so im using java bloatware aka azureus

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 07:38 PM
not look like crap?

Not a very convincing argument.

Lord Illidan
January 31st, 2008, 07:42 PM
My 12 year old sister and my father noticed. Our bandwith has been going downhill from there. She never took to azureus, but she likes utorrent. And yes they're on Ubuntu.

bobbocanfly
January 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Ktorrent works great for me. I don't really see the need to run a windows program, when a native linux version works great. What makes utorrant so great? A lot of people seem to like it. What does it do that ktorrent does not?

uTorrent is very popular as it is so lightweight, very standards compliant (well at least with torrentbits-dev on which a large amount of "sharing" websites are based). It is also incredibly easy to use if you just want to download something quickly while still retaining much more advanced features like running a tracker from your client etc. it is also popular as it runs pretty much perfectly in Wine so Windows -> Linux converts dont feel out of place. Also many people like it as it doesnt use GTK or Qt so there are no Gnome vs KDE arguments.

I dont know how these arguments stand up to KTorrent though as i never really used it for long (Tried to rid myself of KDE libraries about a week after i started using KTorrent).

I probably should use rTorrent on my server instead of uTorrent so i can get rid of Wine and 9wm but to comply with the rules of some sites i frequent i would have to recompile it all from scratch and if im perfectly honest i just cant be bothered.

bufsabre666
January 31st, 2008, 07:52 PM
Not a very convincing argument.

doesnt have to be its just ugly and its not as full featured as azureus or deluge

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 08:39 PM
doesnt have to be its just ugly and its not as full featured as azureus or deluge

That's the part I'm looking for. What features is ktorrent (or really any of the native linux BT clients) lacking?

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
uTorrent is very popular as it is so lightweight, very standards compliant (well at least with torrentbits-dev on which a large amount of "sharing" websites are based). It is also incredibly easy to use if you just want to download something quickly while still retaining much more advanced features like running a tracker from your client etc. it is also popular as it runs pretty much perfectly in Wine so Windows -> Linux converts dont feel out of place. Also many people like it as it doesnt use GTK or Qt so there are no Gnome vs KDE arguments.

That doesn't sound too bad then. I like the light weight, and easy to use part. I'm pretty used to ktorrent at this point, but it took me a while to really find all the good bits (encryption, IP Filtering etc..).

billgoldberg
January 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
Why would you use utorrent. I used it on windows, but I don't feel the need to run it in linux.

Ktorrent (on gnome !) has everything you can ask for and it maxs my connection out.

oldb0y
January 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
If you don't mind me asking, is there anything wrong with BitTorrent?

Polygon
February 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
besides the fact that it got bought out by the movie industry and the client is most likely gonna be infected with DRM and other nasty stuff.

dont remember the specifics, but utorrent got bought out as well. They wanted the original bittorent client to help distribute movies (with drm) or something

and the original bittorrent client sucks in comparison, to pretty much every other torrent client out there. Ugly and not that many features.