PDA

View Full Version : So I was at the printers today...

fatality_uk
January 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
talking to the graphic designer about the new artwork for a brochure we are doing. He was sat there with his Mac G5, HUGE monitor and cool see through Mac mouse.

So I fired up my Asus dog of a laptop, one which he has sat gathering dust at home. 30 odd seconds later I had GIMP open, showing him a paste up that was done. Left that open and switched, using Compiz to another workspace, flashy cube effect :D

Opened a word (*.doc) and PDF and ran a MS presentation in that workspace and was able to flick back and forth "real" time between the two.

Then using my 3G card, connected to the net through KPPP, downloaded a 1 meg file, (quite quickly as it happened) for him.

After he tried using GimpShop to quickly alter a file (RAW), 30 seconds later, he asked, "Have you beefed that thing up? Runs great!! Mines just too slow to use now."

Me - "No, just standard Ubuntu Linux. Nothing modded!"

Him - "Ahh but that's just for programmers isn't it, Linux that is?"

35 minutes of OS chat later, he now has 2 CD's burnt for him with Brassero, his girlfriend.

But here's the thing. Until he asked, I never even thought of what OS I was using. I was just working, like every other day!

I just have one question!! I don't use GIMP that much, so he was asking about Photoshop file compatibility. I know it can open them, but does anyone know of any funnys with PSD files and gimp or is it usually ok?

He did ask me, so I said I'd ask here. I did tell him about the forums but he kind of sighed at that point!! ;)

tigerpants
January 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yep, Macs are slow.

regomodo
January 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Good story but gimp's support of .psd files isn't perfect. I was surprised to find that they opened at all in gimp, but later found it to be iffy. Usually to do with layers.

fatality_uk
January 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Good story but gimp's support of .psd files isn't perfect. I was surprised to find that they opened at all in gimp, but later found it to be iffy. Usually to do with layers.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Maybe I suggest he bangs open a load of his own files. See what's what! You never know.

Linuxratty
January 31st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Excellent story...I also usually don't say anything unless someone says something like:"Boy,that's different looking!" Then I tell them it's Linux.

macogw
January 31st, 2008, 06:25 AM
Over winter break, my dad sat down next to me while I was on the computer. I switched workspaces using the cube, and he went "woah! what the hell was that?!" "Oh I just switched workspaces. See? I have IM over here, Firefox here, and chat here. Then if I want to have something else going, like a music player, it can go in the last one." "How'd you do that?" "Changed the window manager" "Oh, is that Lenox thing?" "Yes, dad, it's Lenox thing" He can't say "Linux" for some reason.

DoctorMO
January 31st, 2008, 06:30 AM
I just have one question!! I don't use GIMP that much, so he was asking about Photoshop file compatibility. I know it can open them, but does anyone know of any funnys with PSD files and gimp or is it usually ok?

Wine's recent release has been asking for bug reports for photoshop CS and CS2; So asuming the bugs are cleared up quickly there may be a way to run Photoshop under wine anyway.

macogw
January 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
Wine's recent release has been asking for bug reports for photoshop CS and CS2; So asuming the bugs are cleared up quickly there may be a way to run Photoshop under wine anyway.

You can already do it. There were posts a few months ago saying people got CS2 running.