PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon: Eee Desktop, Eee Monitor and Eee TV

DalekClock
January 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Asus to launch three new Eees(Report from PC Pro) (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/160830/asus-to-launch-three-new-eee-pcs.html)

Asus has revealed plans to launch a family of products under its popular Eee PC brand.

The Taiwanese manufacturer won widespread acclaim last year with the launch of its low-budget Eee PC laptop.

Now the company plans to capitalise on that success with the launch of three new models, according to a report in the DigiTimes.

The company will release a desktop PC, dubbed the E-DT, which will initially run on Intel's Celeron processors when it's launched later this Spring, but will move to Intel's new Shelton platform towards the end of this year. The E-DT will ship without a monitor with the company aiming for a launch price of $199.

Asus will also launch an all-in-one PC/screen called the E-Monitor. The 19-21in device will again run on the Shelton platform and will include a TV tuner. As ever with the Eee brand, the key factor is the price, with Asus aiming for $499 - which will place it well below rivals such as Apple's iMac and Dell's XPS One, which both cost in excess of $1,000. The E-Monitor should launch in September.

The third, and most amibitious, product in the range is a 42in LCD TV which again includes a built-in Linux PC. Details are thin on the ground, but Asus claims the E-TV will cost around $200 more than conventional LCD screens of that size.

The DigiTimes also reports that Asus has canned plans to bring touchscreens to the Eee PC laptops, citing a lack of demand. Earlier this month, the company announced it was bringing larger screens and WiMAX to a refreshed range of the laptops.You just can't hold them back. Although I would like an Eee with a touch screen, I'd certainly like to Eee my home.

hessiess
January 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
if it halps make linux more well known, its a good thing ;)

fatality_uk
January 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
So cool :D

JawsThemeSwimming428
January 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I have been thinking about getting one for a few weeks now. I want to wait and see what is going to happen with the refreshed lineup. Does anyone know when the new Eee PC laptops (with the larger screens) are going to be coming out? Also, I don't like purchasing the first generation of any product. There is usually a bug in first gen.

gn2
January 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The official Asus announcement was that the larger screen models would become available in quarter two of 2008, nothing more specific.

days_of_ruin
January 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I want the Eee Monitor and the Eee TV:guitar:

Kingsley
January 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Darn... No Eee Phone?

sefs
January 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Without Linux would the Eee have been possible.

Lord Illidan
January 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Of course, they would have used Windows instead.

hessiess
January 30th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Of course, they would have used Windows instead.

and how slow would that be? :lolflag:

Lord Illidan
January 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
and how slow would that be? :lolflag:

I'm sure you can get Windows XP at least as fast as Ubuntu, with a few tweaks. Vista, perhaps not, but certainly XP. Of course, custom distros like Arch beat Windows soundly..

k99goran
January 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I wonder what kind of software will run on than TV (apart from Linux of course).

maniacmusician
January 31st, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that Asus is actually planning on releasing an XP version of the EeePC, so it's definitely feasible.

Paqman
January 31st, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that Asus is actually planning on releasing an XP version of the EeePC, so it's definitely feasible.

I know a couple of people who've got EeePCs and put XP on them. Apparently it runs alright.

Tristicus
January 31st, 2008, 04:03 AM
Might be interested in the desktop, but.....THE TV really interests me....even thouhg I will soon have Ubuntu on PS3.