PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Article

Muhammad
September 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/d/4/2d4d387b-97af-4923-897d-320fe070e864/Open_Discussion_on_Windows_and_Linux_Transcript.do c

smry plz...

Ubunted
September 22nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Nothing but Microsoft PR and hot air.

Muhammad
September 22nd, 2005, 06:30 PM
I see, thanks.

Kvark
September 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM
So two guys who both work with telling people why they should use Microsoft's products instead of other alternatives discuss differences between Windows and Linux.

Sounds like the Jesus and the Pope sitting down discussing differences between christanity and hinduism.

bjweeks
September 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
Microsoft is writing the book on FUD.

Edit: Wow they pulled out the IP lawsuit card.

Goober
September 23rd, 2005, 01:24 AM
I read the first 2 pages, then realized that this is nothing but heavily laced propaganda. I might be procrastinating on homework, but I'd rather procrastinate by reading something less boring.

Maybe we should get a Real Linux Developer in a room with, say Ballmer or Gates. THAT might be an interesting discussion.

skoal
September 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM
Maybe we should get a Real Linux Developer in a room with, say Ballmer or Gates. THAT might be an interesting discussion.
I'll take a stab at that one...

[At a recent developers symposium, Industry giants and pioneers in the Open Source community gathered together to contrast the transparency models onto their recent platforms. Keith Packard approaches the podium as Bill Gates is seen just off to side, deep in thought as he fires up firefox and searches through google links on the demo computer...]

[Twenty three minutes have passed by already, and Keith continues with his detailed explanation...]

Keith Packard, "[...] The new X Render extension uses the Porter-Duff compositing model, unifying the usual notion of translucency, where a pixel is entirely covered with a ..."

[...a swift pound on the computer desk beside him breaks into his speech, as Bill can be overheard saying, "Those Bastards!".......Keith picks up...]

Keith Packard, "...entirely covered with a non-opaque value, with the notion of partial coverage, where a portion of the pixel is covered while the remaining portion is uncovered. Mr. Ballmer?"

[Steve approaches the podium and glances over at Keith...]

Steve Ballmer, "Porter who?! Well, over here at Redmond we take a different approach on transparency. We gathered ourselves together a crackpot team of Witch doctors, deep from the jungles of Borneo, you see. They stand over the production line, shaking some stick in the air real fierce like. Then, some funky white looking Voodoo powder is sprinkled over every Vista CD rolling off the belt. Keith?"

[uneasy pause]

[off in the distance, a crackled and weakened voice echoes over to the two...]

Bill Gates, "...Steve, does google OS have transparency, yet?!"

[Keith grabs a marker, fiddles with his shirt mike, and proceeds to scribble on the overhead projector...]

Keith Packard, "You see, by defining the ``alpha'' of a pixel as a number from 0 to 1 measuring its opacity, a simple equation combines two pixel colors together: C_result = C_under X (1 - alpha_over) + C_over X alpha_over"

[dead silence, as two crickets making love are heard off in the distance...]

Bill Gates, "...Steve?..........Steve??!!!"

[Steve pumps his fist in the air while hopping up and down and spinning around in circles...]

Steve Ballmer, "Witch Doctors, Witch Doctors, Witch Doctors, yeah! woo!"

\\//_

blastus
September 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
Why should I believe anything Microsoft says about open standards when the medium of the message is in a proprietary format? :roll: :roll: :roll:

drogoh
September 23rd, 2005, 04:25 AM
Microsoft and standards? I don't think so. They do everything to break "standards" and come up with their own crackpot ideas and call them "standards" because "Microsoft said so".

On the "article", if you can call it that, you just have to love that talking head PR FUD laden with catch phrases and The Shiny New Buzz Word of the Day. Seriously, those TechNet Windows vs. Linux "comparisons" are just a public lampooning to try and shovel crap over open source and say "see? we > them, nyah nyah nyah".