PDA

View Full Version : I start my farewell process to Windows

cnbiz850
January 30th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I have been using Ubuntu for two years. During this time, I always have an XP dual boot on my machine as a backup solution though I very rarely log onto the dual boot XP. I also always have VMWare Server running on the Ubuntu to run XP at the same time because there was no replacement on Linux for the stock software I use -- the China software vendors are still idiots! I had tried Wine to get the softwares to run on Ubuntu, but had no big luck mainly due to Chinese fonts on Wine were all messed up. I gave up Wine for quite some long time and stick to VMWare.

Until yesterday, I got Wine 0.9.53 working on my Edgy Dell 6400 -- Chinese fonts are displayed correctly, though with some good efforts. They run almost flawlessly. I am very happy -- now I have nothing to depend on Windows. I will keep VMWare off for the next period to confirm. Then I will ditch the torturing Windows entirely from my system. Goodbye Microsoft!

Mary.Riley
January 30th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I remember when I got rid of my Windows partition. It was nice to get the hard drive space back...

David Ostrom
January 30th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by Mary.Riley. I remember when I got rid of my Windows partition. It was nice to get the hard drive space back... That for me was the most liberating feeling. I'm 100% Linux and Windows free.

Anduu
January 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Wish I could say the same...

I'm still stuck with Windows to run certain apps/games...dang you Microsoft! 8-[