PDA

View Full Version : Linux Moving Up In the World

Het Irv
January 30th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Which computer operating systems are compatible with Amazon MP3?

You can buy songs from any computer with a web browser capable of downloading files from the Internet. The MP3 files you purchase will download directly to your computer and are compatible with any system that can read the MP3 music format. The Amazon MP3 Downloader is a tiny application that is required for purchasing and downloading an entire album and is currently available for Mac and Windows operating systems. If you use Linux, you can currently buy individual songs. A Linux version of the Amazon MP3 Downloader is under development, and when released will allow entire album purchases. For more information, please visit the Amazon MP3 Downloader Help page.

I could not believe it when I read it. A major company acknowledging Linux, whats that about?

Does anyone know any specifics on this, mostly when it will be released?

bruce89
January 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I thought that Linux couldn't do HTTP.

Het Irv
January 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
All I know is what I read. I want buy an album but to do it song by sone will cost an extra $2 (USD) I guess I could stop being cheap and just get it but still.

Joeb454
January 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Lol, most companies think Linux can't do anything!

~LoKe
January 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Lol, most companies think Linux can't do anything!

Quite the opposite, really. Most companies are fully aware of Linux and what it offers. The problem is, they're also aware of the cost of the transition.

Metalbuntu
January 30th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hopefully Amazon released a linux version soon, but I have no problem downloading songs individually. Amazon is way better then itunes. I got 2 dvds full of songs and videos I bought off of the itunes store in my windows day and I can't play them in linux because of the DRM on them. Amazon .mp3's are DRM free and a higher bitrate, 256kbps I believe.

I think that linux is recognized by a lot of companies but cost wise they prefer to keep there interest in the larger user markets so most software is going to be Windows or Mac OS. But as the popularity of linux increases I hope the big companies start translating into Linux.

Het Irv
January 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I plan to buy as much as I want once it comes out. I don't know if they can tell the difference but that will be the way I get all of my music so there is a demand.

Mary.Riley
January 30th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I'm starting to hear more and more about the benefits of open source development in academic cricles, though not much about Linux itself. I'm glad Amazon is giving us some attention, and hopefully they will pave the way with an excellent case study and a good corporate development model.

Wharf Rat
January 30th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I just bought my first DRM Free song from Amazon.