PDA

View Full Version : Python Modules Question

y-lee
January 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I need the follwing three python modules to help me resolve an issue I'm having trying to compile a program, see Music applet - configure warnings (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=680872)

pynotify
gnomekeyring
xmmsclient

Where can I find these modules and how do I install them? Can they be found in the repos and if so what are they called? Be aware I am using Dapper Drake and reverted back to Python 2.4.3. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit Sorry i put this in the wrong spot. I meant to put it in programming.

LaRoza
January 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Edit Sorry i put this in the wrong spot. I meant to put it in programming.

You should have reported it, I just noticed it. Hopefully it will resolved soon :)

pmasiar
January 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I am using Dapper Drake and reverted back to Python 2.4.3..

Check with applet author if s/he tested applet in ubuntu, and if, in what version. Dapper Drake is stable == not cutting edge.

deuce868
January 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Usually you can find them by doing a search in apt.

$ apt-cache search python | grep notify
python-notify - Python bindings for libnotify
gmail-notify - A Gmail Notifier
python-pyinotify - Simple Linux inotify Python bindings
python-pyinotify-doc - Simple Linux inotify Python bindings

and

$ apt-cache search python | grep xmms
python-xmms - Python interface to XMMS
python-xmms-doc - Python interface to XMMS (documentation)
python-xmmsclient - XMMS2 - Python bindings
pyxmms-remote - command-line interface to XMMS

The libraries in apt are generally python-$SOMETHING

Now as to the keyring, not sure what that is under.

y-lee
January 30th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Check with applet author if s/he tested applet in ubuntu, and if, in what version. Dapper Drake is stable == not cutting edge.

Already have been in touch with the developer he is using Debian tho he didn't state which version. Also note he is using Python 2.4.*. He has not tested this applet with Dapper tho he claims it should be possible to get it to work with Dapper. He has however been successful in me reducing the errors to just these three, regardless tho the program will not compile, i get multiple errors when I try to make it.

deuce868, thanks for the tip but i was already aware of how to use apt-cache and searched everything i could think of and installed everything seemingly needed:

apt-cache search python | grep notify
gmail-notify - gmail new mail notifier

apt-cache search python | grep xmms
python-xmms - Python interface to XMMS
python-xmms-doc - Python interface to XMMS (documentation)
python2.3-xmms - Python interface to XMMS (Python 2.3 version)
python2.4-xmms - Python interface to XMMS (Python 2.4 version)
pyxmms-remote - command-line interface to XMMS

Now as to the keyring, not sure what that is under.

The developer told me in an e-mail that the python module is found in python-gnome2-desktop in Debian.

apt-cache search python | grep python-gnome2
python-gnome2-extras-doc - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment - documentation
python-gnome2 - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
python-gnome2-desktop - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
python-gnome2-desktop-dev - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
python-gnome2-desktop-doc - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment - documentation
python-gnome2-dev - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
python-gnome2-extras - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment
python-gnome2-extras-dev - Python bindings for the GNOME desktop environment

As I have installed the packages I seemed to need including the dev stuff, It appears to me at this point that python-notify for example was added to Edgy (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin//search_contents.pl?version=edgy&arch=i386&case=insensitive&word=python-notify&searchmode=filelist) but is not found in Dapper (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin//search_contents.pl?version=dapper&arch=i386&case=insensitive&word=python-notify&searchmode=filelist).

I posted here because at first I thought I could just find these python modules and add them to solve this problem, I don't know alot about python, but now it seems more likely Dapper just doesn't support the functions needed by this program. The version of python-notify found in edgy, for example, relies on libnotify1 (>= 0.4.0-1) and dapper has only libnotify1 (0.3.2-0ubuntu4) (http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/libs/libnotify1)

Sadly, I am about to conclude that without upgrading ubuntu to at least Edgy I will unable to use this program :(

My thanks tho to you both for trying!