PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Brands

EnergySamus
January 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hello!

What brand of laptop do you consider the most reliable and easy to use? Personally, I like Acer and Dell. I can't say Apple because I have never owned one!:lolflag:

EnergySamus

P.S. Also, even though this is incredibly off topic... Which do you consider better: the Xbox 360 or the PS3? I like the Xbox 360 way more than the PS3!

new2*buntu
January 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hello!

What brand of laptop do you consider the most reliable and easy to use? Personally, I like Acer and Dell. I can't say Apple because I have never owned one!:lolflag:

EnergySamus

P.S. Also, even though this is incredibly off topic... Which do you consider better: the Xbox 360 or the PS3? I like the Xbox 360 way more than the PS3!

I use an HP laptop and in my limited time of playing XBOX 360, I prefer the PS3 (but maybe that was because I played Resistance on the PS3 and NFS Carbon on the XBOX 360)

LaRoza
January 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Whoever makes ThinkPads, Lenovo at the moment.

bufsabre666
January 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
i like my think pad but im still an hp fan

LaRoza
January 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
i like my think pad but im still an hp fan

I use HP and Compaq for everything else (Desktop, Printer, etc)

beercz
January 29th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Hp

miggols99
January 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
At the moment I am using a Zepto, which is quite good. I like that I could customize it like Dell let's you. I've heard that HP laptops aren't very good for compatibility for Linux...is this still true?

Oh and Wii rulesss!!

NullHead
January 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I love Dell and IBM. Oh and the Wii does rule! :rolleyes:

EnergySamus
January 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah. I also have a Wii, but all of the bad 3rd party games are annoying the heck out of me. Metroid Prime 3 Rocks!
Yeah, HP laptops are ok with Ubuntu... not 100% though.

EnergySamus

Whiffle
January 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I've been impressed with Lenovo/IBM, Dell's business machines (not their consumer ones), and HP's business machines. Havn't had much experience with much else really. Oh wait, yeah my friend has a macbook, its okay.

Reliability wise, lets see. My thinkpad and my dads thinkpad has had zero problems, my dad had a dell from work, no problems (although the letters wore off the keys eventually), he also has an hp for work right now, I havn't heard any complaints about it except that its so locked down he can't even check his personal email with it.

Oh, and I have a Nintendo NES. I'm indifferent over xbox/ps3. I'd take a wii over both of them, but then again, I dont seem to have time for games anymore.

PurposeOfReason
January 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'll always swear by sony. They make durable, sleek looking laptops, even if their support isn't the best.

jpittack
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
If my memory serves me right, hp has the lowest in terms of returns for service or defects. Apple praises their reliablity, but has the most returns. That I do remember. I have only used my one Dell laptop, my dad having a thinkpad. His is reliable, but my laptop is just as reliable. Anything bought from a computer manufactor won't have problems. Most problems are user inflicited. Such as my BIOS no longer existing. Whoops.

The only computer part I have ever had die was a stick of RAM from Centon. I do have two dead hard drives, but they are over ten years old. Thats about all there is to computers. The super key on my laptop is busted. Strange. The only keys I use less than that one are f6 through f12, `~, and the other buttons that aren't related to typing (the menu looking one, pause, etc.).

Cases for laptops might be able to take more, but thats a user decided factor as well. If you don't drop it, it lasts and lasts.

I am a fan of the PS3. My basis is the up and coming titles, MGS4, GT5. I don't play to many other conosle only games. I love the old, old games over everything.

EnergySamus
January 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Whiffle, that "The Cake is A Lie" thing is from the game Portal... Isn't it. That game rocks.

rickyjones
January 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D630 running Windows XP Professional right now. I love it! Very durable so far.

-Richard

regomodo
January 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM
ibm/lenovo. So far nothing compares but HP aren't bad either.

macogw
January 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Definitely not Gateway...this thing's all broken.

Dell's got very very good tech support (I used their online tech support and pretended to be my roommate when she dropped her laptop, and they walked me through reseating the connector for the screen's cable to the motherboard), and they support Linux (so points for them--vote with your wallet! support companies that support Linux).

In my experience, HP's tech support isn't so good. They told me that formatting the hard drive wouldn't delete anything...uh huh....

As to what I said about voting with your wallet, I'd go for ZaReason, since they pre-install Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Edubuntu...yes, you get choices) and make sure it all works right, and they have *very* nice warranties. Most OEMs void warranties if you try to fix it yourself or you get it serviced somewhere that isn't authorized (though some computer stores will offer warranties that cover "I broke it" as well, which is good) because you need it done quick. They have an "open hardware warranty," meaning you can mess with it all you want (they even send a screwdriver as a sign of goodwill :) ).

Sony Vaio isn't supposed to be very good on the Linux compatibility thing.

jeyaganesh
January 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
you missed Samsung in the list. I used it for 2 years. I am a heavy user of PC. I was perfect for all sort of works including gaming. Now I am having Dell desktop with 19 inch monitor. But when I see some monitors in PC world, I felt that Dell monitor is rubbish:mad:. Monitors in PC world are wonderful with glossy look.:popcorn:

D-EJ915
January 31st, 2008, 06:15 AM
I have 2 Sony ultraportables, I've never had a single issue with either of them. I think Sony makes the best ultraportables on the market.

LaRoza
January 31st, 2008, 06:23 AM
I have 2 Sony ultraportables, I've never had a single issue with either of them. I think Sony makes the best ultraportables on the market.

Could you link to one or both of them? I am interested in such devices.

Zlatan
January 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Lenovo

Amstell
January 31st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Just got my Dell 1420N with ubuntu pre installed an love it. No problems at all and great. I can't praise it enough. Nice Dell can't wait to see how your XPS ubuntu laptops do.

argie
January 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM
I've only ever used Toshiba and HP (Compaq) and I prefer the latter. That's a little unfair though, the Toshiba Portege 660 CDT was a nice device once, there was trouble only when the CMOS battery died and then the only hard drive died. So I'll reserve judgement.

bomanizer
January 31st, 2008, 11:20 AM
IBM/Lenovo

Gigamo
January 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Zepto (EU-only brand I think) here.

igknighted
January 31st, 2008, 11:28 AM
Voted Acer, my current laptop is an Acer and has treated me exceptionally well. I've also had a couple Sony's in the past that I liked as well. Never had much luck with Dell laptops, and I could never get over the sticky trackpad on the HP/Compaq models. As for thinkpads... if they weren't so boxy and ugly, I'm sure I would love them, but all other things equal (note, I did not say even if the price is way more expensive for a product that will likely break, and hence no endorsement of apple products), I want my laptop to look nice as well, and that thinkpad look just doesn't float with me.

PartisanEntity
January 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM
My Asus has been very reliable.

EmilyRose
January 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm loving my System 76 Gazelle :D Granted we've only had it for 3 or so months... but, so far so good :D

And, I love my Wii! But if I was gonna get another I'd go for xbox 360

RebounD11
January 31st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Wii rules!

As for laptops, I'm planning on getting one (my first one :D)... so I will watch this thread carefully.

koleoptero
January 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Toshiba. :popcorn:

Frumious Boojum
January 31st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't much enjoy Dell... most of the computers I've come across are rather cheaply made. Their laptops are better made now than they used to be, but not by much.

Compaq -- they were a terrible company. HP is preferable, so I'm glad they bought them out. Hopefully the Compaq brand improved. Haven't used them much since the buy, so I can't say.

Sharp -- WONDERFUL screens on those things. Unfortunately, hard drive disastors due to overheating came way too easy. Most of the price was in that autostereoscopic screen -- internal specs were lower than many laptops at half the price.

Sony -- My current laptop. Nice and powerful, doesn't get as hot as most laptops seem to do, Blu-Ray support... and Ubuntu works very nicely with it, too. :)

-grubby
January 31st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I've never had a laptop or played the Xbox 360 or PS3 so I vote the Wii

Tristam Green
January 31st, 2008, 04:34 PM
I have a Dell 1501 listed in my signature.

I had a 1999 IBM Thinkpad 600x that I ran Xubuntu on for a year and a half before it died.

I like the Wii, but the Xbox360 is fun also.

GayRockies
February 6th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I've got a Sony V-505EC that works great with Ubuntu. My only complaints with it are that the touchpad is a little more annoying than most (I don't like any of them), and that the right shift key is tiny, such that you accidentally hit the up arrow key if you aren't careful.

Overall, it's been a wonderful machine, and I'll keep it for another year before I get my MacBook.

Kind regards,

M.J.

barbedsaber
February 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I have a lenovo with 2.4ghz 2gigs ram 120gb harddrive (for my school work, lol) 15.4inch wide screen, nvidia (grr) 128mbs video card (i gives me 90 fps on tremulous so im happy) and with ubuntu its freaking bloody fast. and can calculate pi to 2million digits in 59 seconds. I also have a wii, so im happy. Gotta say tho, I look forward to the next generation by nintendo, Imagen a wii with blue ray, and the power of an xbox360 on steroids, it makes me drool, also, full online play, not just with super smash bros brawls, and olympic games.

You owe me 2 cents.

wana10
February 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i love my asus z96j. 'tis my baby.

as for video games... i don't have any of the current systems and seeing as i recently bought a neo-geo mvs cabinet it looks like it's going to stay that way. ;)

GSF1200S
February 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM
IBUYPOWER

Not the best customer support, not name brand, but Ive had this lappie for over a year and it has yet to fail me- that with a processor and a video card that is still considered an above average computer for what I paid. Its mean, it was cheap ($1600, specs below; bought 1 year ago), and with nvidia/intel its supported well.

QA shows much better long term results than any dell Ive seen and just about any other laptop short of extremely expensive ones. My only complaint with this one is it only has 3 USB ports...

RAV TUX
February 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I voted other:

Fujitsu Lifebook T4210

Circus-Killer
February 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
the only laptop i've ever owned is the one i currently own now, which is an HP, and i'm love it. :)

diskotek
February 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Hp is seem to be the cheapest good machines around here, so i might say "HP" (whixh i'm using for last 3-4 years and cd-rom recently defected".

MSI also seem nice and cheap, but actually i don't know anything. well my motherboard is MSI and i'm not really satisfied.

MONODA
February 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
My laptop specs are in my sig. My laptop came preinstalled with vista, on first boot i got a blue screen :'(... but that led me to ubuntu :). Suspend and hibernate didnt work when I installed xp and in vista, suspend, hibernate and SHUTDOWN did not work. seriously i could not shutdown...HP support is terrible. Couldnt solved any problems after 3 hours, if anything, it made things worse.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
One of my first experiences with a newer HP laptop (with Vista) was running the system recovery partition. The program started happily, I started the recovery and it seemed to be doing something for a few seconds.

I was then thrown a cryptic error message (where the error code was a ginormous memory address that took me ten tries to copy correctly!), and the thing gave up. Restarting, I realized that the system had managed just enough to demolish Windows' boot manager.
Apparently this was a Windows-related problem, where it was not detecting the partitions correctly. It happened every single time I tried the recovery tool.

Interestingly, when I ran a web search for the error message, there were quite a lot of forum posts -- all with the same series of HP laptops.

mmichalik
February 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
IBM and the Lenovo brands are by far the best out there, for business purposes. They are both made by Lenovo but the IBM's are a little more rugged, case wise. Either way, I like them both and use a Lenovo 3000 N100 just about everyday.