PDA

View Full Version : VRMS non-free packages with status other than installed

zorkerz
January 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
What does this mean?
"Non-free packages with status other than installed"

for me it lists sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre
both of these were installed on my computer previously but are not now. What other status is there for packages besides installed and not installed. Im assuming it does not report not installed packages because then everything in the repository would be reported or some similar result.

az
January 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM
It would report everything in the Multiverse and Restricted repositories. Everything in Main and Universe is free/libre.

Edit: I put on my glasses and actually read your post. Other than installed and not installed there is half-installed (broken) and removed (just config files present).

picpak
January 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
What does this mean?
"Non-free packages with status other than installed"

for me it lists sun-java6-bin and sun-java6-jre
both of these were installed on my computer previously but are not now. What other status is there for packages besides installed and not installed. Im assuming it does not report not installed packages because then everything in the repository would be reported or some similar result.

The status you'd be looking for in Synaptic is "Not installed (residual config)".

zorkerz
January 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ok for config files that are left over. Are these always left in my home? or could they be anywhere.

-As a side note: Im on this kick of trying to remove any packages that I do not use. A good way to start this for me would be to know which packages I have installed that are not installed by default.

(im less worried about default packages that i do not use than ones i have installed myself over time)
thanks

zorkerz
January 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
thanks picpak i never new about that

macogw
January 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
sudo aptitude purge sun-java6-jre

That'd get all the config stuff to go away.

zorkerz
January 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
wow this is great so many useful tidbits to know.

A little off topic: in synaptic package manager there are two sub categories for installed packages
(auto removable) and (local or obsolete)

What do these refer to?
Can I assume that they are not critical for any other installed packages?
thanks

frup
January 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Is the status of java still not GPL?

samwyse
January 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
wow this is great so many useful tidbits to know.

A little off topic: in synaptic package manager there are two sub categories for installed packages
(auto removable) and (local or obsolete)

What do these refer to?
Can I assume that they are not critical for any other installed packages?
thanks

"Auto removable" are packages that were installed to fill dependencies for a package that has been removed and thus are currently not needed. "Local" are packages installed from outside the repos. "Obsolete" are packages that have been removed from the repos, I think.

macogw
January 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
"Auto removable" are packages that were installed to fill dependencies for a package that has been removed and thus are currently not needed. "Local" are packages installed from outside the repos. "Obsolete" are packages that have been removed from the repos, I think.

sudo apt-get autoremove

will remove all of the autoremovable packages.

macogw
January 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Is the status of java still not GPL?

I think the *next* version will be, but 6 isn't. If you want a GPL'd implementation of Java, look at icedtea-java7-jre It's very good. Liferea (Linux Feed Reader) actually crashes on websites with .swf's in them if you use Sun's instead of the fully-FOSS IcedTea.

zorkerz
January 30th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Java continues to be a pain for me using my schools webct. I had icedtea installed untill it did not work and sun-java6 installed but that did no better. The only thing that has worked in uninstalling both. Heres (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=680856) my post on it.