PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner Idiots

Black Mage
January 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
This is a question for anyone who using TimeWarner Cable as their ISP.

I am currently trying to set up a server and I need a wired connection. There is already one cable modem in another part of my house hooked up to my roommates computer. But my computer is upstairs so I am thinking about purchasing another cable modem.

My question is, Would I still get internet access when I use both modems, or would I need to purchase another ip address?

When I call Time Warner I get responses:

Hook it up to a wireless router...

We can send a technician to install a wireless card...

We can assist you in your wireless issues...

Is your wireless card not working?

And the grand finally each and every time:

Sir, we need your account number to continue this transaction....

DoctorMO
January 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
what you really need is to connect up your computer by Ethernet to the router directly (the one that already exists)

The only products I know that don't have 4 Ethernet ports are the pathetic Apple Airport Express routers.

You shouldn't need a new ip address, nor a new account or wifi or anything else. you need to run a cable from the existing router to your machine.

BDNiner
January 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Or you could move your computer down to where the cable modem is and configure the server before you run the cable. Your room mate doesn't share the internet with you? Sounds like you also need a switch or router since i am guess that the cable modem is plugged directly into your room mate's computer.

FuturePilot
January 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
You'll have to call them up and give them the MAC address of the new modem. Their network will recognize a new MAC address and won't let you out until you call them up to register the MAC address.

Black Mage
January 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
what you really need is to connect up your computer by Ethernet to the router directly (the one that already exists)

The only products I know that don't have 4 Ethernet ports are the pathetic Apple Airport Express routers.

You shouldn't need a new ip address, nor a new account or wifi or anything else. you need to run a cable from the existing router to your machine.

I would have done that but it would be a really long cable. And considering that I'm in college and live with roommates who lock their doors and other crazy stuff happens, I prefer have the modem in an enviroment where its a little bit more secure and I have more control, especially when things go wrong and I need to get to it.

notwen
January 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Is this other computer using the internet for anything more than surfing the web? If possible maybe you could re-locate your cable modem and/or router upstairs to your PC and have the other PC connect wirelessly. I have a server setup running FTP/WWW/NFS services and I have it connected via ethernet along w/ 2 other PCs in the same room. However my gf and I connect w/ our laptops where ever we may be in our apt using wireless. More than likely your going to end up purchasing a wireless card (for you or your other PC) unless running lots of cable all over your house is an option. I use TWC(service is great, support kinda sucks). Best of luck w/ what you decide. =]

stalker145
January 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
This is a question for anyone who using TimeWarner Cable as their ISP.

I am currently trying to set up a server and I need a wired connection. There is already one cable modem in another part of my house hooked up to my roommates computer. But my computer is upstairs so I am thinking about purchasing another cable modem.

My question is, Would I still get internet access when I use both modems, or would I need to purchase another ip address?

When I call Time Warner I get responses:

Hook it up to a wireless router...

We can send a technician to install a wireless card...

We can assist you in your wireless issues...

Is your wireless card not working?

And the grand finally each and every time:

Sir, we need your account number to continue this transaction....

TWC's right. If you don't wish to open another account or upgrade to a business account (to get extra IP's) then you will need to connect a router in between the MODEM and your roomie's computer.

Simply connecting a new MODEM to the network, as mentioned, will not allow you to surf; I've tried it. You can also try, as suggested, relocating the whole shebang up to your place and have your roomie surf wirelessly if it's viable (e.g. he has a wireless ability).

Relocating shouldn't be a problem. I've often moved my MODEM around my house without the need to have TWC come out and check the lines, reconfigure, or any such nonsense. Just don't tell them you use Linux - they'll get confused ;)

Black Mage
January 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
So I ended up just going out and buying an 80 foot long ethernet cable and running it downstairs to my roommates room.

So all ended well and actually is cheaper than buying another cable modem.
Thnx guys.