PDA

View Full Version : Sending In Laptop - Ideas?

ilikenwf
January 29th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I am sending in a laptop of mine for repairs to HP.

I have a pirate version of Windows XP (does that matter?...I removed Vista to upgrade to XP)

I have a copy of Kubuntu on there, too...

Should I back the O/Ses up, and backup all personal data, music, etc, and remove personal files? Should I remove Linux?

I sorta have a hacker sticker on the lid, and two linux stickers inside
...does that matter? Linux doesn't void my warranty, does it?

bomanizer
January 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I am sending in a laptop of mine for repairs to HP.

I have a pirate version of Windows XP (does that matter?...I removed Vista to upgrade to XP)

Should I back the O/Ses up, and backup all personal data, music, etc, and remove personal files? Should I remove Linux?

I sorta have a hacker sticker on the lid, and two linux stickers inside
...does that matter? Linux doesn't void my warranty, does it?

What's the problem? If it's hardware related then I would remove the hdd drive (if it's easy) and then send it in.

Jad
January 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
If would be really annoying and lame if they void your warranty for installing GNU/Linux

barbedsaber
January 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
having WINDOWS should void the warrenty.

Jad
January 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Barbedsaber
I agree ;)

stalker145
January 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Emphasis mine.

I would suggest, due to these two points, that you do one of two things. Either "upgrade" to a legitimately purchased version of Windows XP prior to sending in your laptop or, as suggested, remove your HDD.

There's absolutely nothing good that can come from letting other people know that you are breaking the law (see stories about people sending PC's in for repair with CP on the drive).

AlanR8
January 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Just had to send my 2 month old Sony VGN-FZ21S back to have a new CD/DVD/Blueray **** installed. The good news is that it was only away for two working days.

However, there's NO WAY on earth I'd send a machine back with data on it and I was concerned that Sony might get pissed that Kubuntu was installed. I used the original rescue disks and an external drive to take the machine back to it's "out of the box" condition, Vista.

The minute it came back I re-installed Kubuntu, took 20 minutes and an hour later I had all my data back on and the machine looking and behaving the way I like it.

xpod
January 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Just had to send my 2 month old Sony VGN-FZ21S back to have a new CD/DVD/Blueray **** installed

"Disk" man disk:lolflag:

AlanR8
January 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
You noticed!

macogw
January 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
If would be really annoying and lame if they void your warranty for installing GNU/Linux
HP has refused to repair a broken keyboard, claiming that changing the OS from the one they installed voids the warranty. Either take out the hard drive or put Vista back on it.

/me is so glad to have the Circuit City "Advantage" extended warranty. It includes accidental damage, so they can't say anything about me changing the OS--even if I dropped my laptop in a swimming pool, it's covered. I'm getting the hard drive replaced, though, so it's going back with the laptop while my data stays here on my roommate's old laptop (which I'm borrowing and now running Fluxbox on an Ubuntu base), and I'm doing a dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda to clear the drive completely

ilikenwf
January 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
There is a legal way to downgrade to XP from Vista, you know...and for all they know, I have it in a box at home here (I have several XP license stickers...). Technically, I have a legal copy, I just used a pirate as the source...anyway, they had the restore files on an 8 gig partition that's gone with the wind.

Removing the HDD is probably a bad idea, as I already talked to a TSR. They said to just send the thing in. Perhaps I should tape a license sticker onto the bottom? LoL.

I own the hardware, so even if I just partimage everything and wipe it clean, they can't do much.

I just talked to another TSR. He said I could just backup and format the drive. That I shall do. I don't trust the goons at these companies. Anyway, I will get my restore image of vista back...I should've burned those restore DVD's before I did that...but I hated vista by then, and blah blah blah...