PDA

View Full Version : An idea on how to spread Ubuntu

Raval
January 29th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I wanted to wait until I tried this first so I could share actual experience with the community but I haven't been able too so I've decided to share my idea and perhaps someone might want to try it instead.

I came up with the following idea as a way to get people to try Ubuntu.

Basically I wanted to install Ubuntu on an unused PC connected to the internet in my office building and allow people to come in and use the internet for free, I would install a kiosk program that limited the time to only 30 minutes and next to the PC I would have copies Ubuntu available for those who wanted to try it at home or when they finally got there own PC.

I think one great things about this method is it allows people who are using a computer for the first time to learn on a Linux PC instead of coming from Windows and having to adjust to non Window's way of doing things.

What do you guys think about this?

days_of_ruin
January 29th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I like it.

zmjjmz
January 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Splendid Idea.
I, personally, do not own such a place in which this could be utilized, but I am at least starting my 5 year old sister with Linux (BeaFanatIX)

Raval
January 29th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Splendid Idea.
I, personally, do not own such a place in which this could be utilized, but I am at least starting my 5 year old sister with Linux (BeaFanatIX)

Perhaps someone works at a small store or cafe could convince there boss this would bring more people into the store.

Perhaps someone at a University.

I think allowing people to use the internet for free for a limited time is a great way to get people to try Ubuntu especially getting little kids in the neighborhood.