PDA

View Full Version : PC superstore suffers breakdown over Linux notebook

sdowney717
January 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
PC World claims installing Linux voided laptop warrantee.
Problem was a broken hinge.
Is this crazy or what.
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/09/17/pc_world_linux_frustration/

regomodo
January 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM
i forgot about this. it caused a big stir last summer

Daveski
January 29th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Bit like an insurance company refusing a claim because you have 'modified' your car by sticking adhesive stripes on it without notifying them. It's a get-out clause used by businesses concerned soley about profit without actually thinking about their customers.

LightB
January 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM
That's common knowledge, not shocking at all.

Joeb454
January 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
But we should still recognise that PC World should in fact repair the PC

x0as
January 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
But we should still recognise that PC World should in fact repair the PC

PC World did fix it.

quanumphaze
January 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Would this have happened if instead his laptop running Windows had instead caught a virus that wiped the harddisk clean?

Joeb454
January 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Probably not no :( I'd argue my rights as well though. The person was right to do what they did.

And glad to see PC World did fix it

tdrusk
January 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I was having cd drive problems with my acer. I dual booted ubuntu with vista just to see if it was ubuntu messing up. They went and reformatted everything which was fine since they told me they would and it was part of troubleshooting.

There were no complaints for me running ubuntu.

billgoldberg
January 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
When I removed feisty fawn from the harddrive and tried to install gutsy gibbon, the cd wouldn't boot.

Nor would any other.

I contacted packard bell (since the pc was only 1 month old) and after explaining to the guy that I didn't want to buy their €50 vista recovery disk, andn explaining to not a single cd would boot, he said to turn the pc back to the store.

I foolishly mentioned wanting to install a new linux version and I removed an other linux distro he said my warranty had passed.

I mentioned it was a hardware problem but they refused to do it for free.

Then I just installed a new dvd drive and gave them a call saying I wanted a refund for there bad dvd-drive, he told me it was linux that broke it and tolded me linux was dangerous for computers.

It goes without saying I never buy anything from them again.

It seems to me they just think about there own pockets.