PDA

View Full Version : The Great Hockey Debate

fenwik
January 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I originate from a land of ice and snow </zepplin> and Hockey is one of my passions, so I made a list of some players I thought were the best and want other people's input.

Check it out (http://www.hiup.com/page_toplist.php?id=119), please feel free to rate all the players and add your own.

il-luzhin
January 29th, 2008, 01:30 AM
It's a fine list with no real suprises except to say if gretzky is behind moose and Stevie Y then it's clear you never saw him play live.

My list would be much different, maybe I'll post back after some thought.

alwiap
January 29th, 2008, 01:43 AM
It's so subjective to rank the best players, obviously, but I like where Stevie Y is on that list :)

Roy is amazing, but I think Brodeur will in retrospect be the better (although he's only won 3 cups)

I don't know about Mario Lemieux at #1, what were your reasons?

Amazing someone else besides me actually knows what hockey is, or better yet follows it! Nonetheless on these forums!

EDIT: Yeah, I saw Gretzky way down at #6, I'd say he should be at least top 3, maybe 4 is pushing it.

il-luzhin
January 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Richard was the originator of 50/50, Esposito invented the power forward position, Plante won more consecutive vezinas than anyone in history, as well as all the other things these folks achieved.

My list would contain more players who affected the way the game is played I think.

nalmeth
January 29th, 2008, 04:53 AM
All great historic players, tough to make such a list.
Never can decide with top-tens.

Lemieux is definitely a player I admire more than most. I can see the Moose up there, but even as a Flames fan it seems like a glaring mistake to have Gretz way down at 7th..

6.5/10? Afterall, he only rewrote the record books.
You could say it was in a high-scoring, poor-goaltending era, but no one is even remotely close.

nalmeth
January 29th, 2008, 05:51 AM
My list would contain more players who affected the way the game is played I think.
Yeah, I would love to see a top-ten most influential players of all-time

Greatness is often measured in achievement and publicity (in which case Henri Richard should be up there for winning 11 cups). I think the innovators of the game are just as important historically.

You'd have to add Bobby Hull and Boom Boom Geoffrion to that list, Bobby Orr who's already there, even Peter Stastny and some of the other early European pioneers in the NHL.

Anyway, nice thread. I wish we talked more hockey on UF

DMK62
January 29th, 2008, 06:05 AM
It would become a very long list if you covered all the great players over the years. Doug Harvey is right up there when it comes to defencemen. You could fill up a list just using players from the Leafs and the Habs.

On a side note: the next few years should be interesting as there is some really impressive 17-18 year olds out there right now.

fenian
January 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Some names I would include are...

Vladislav Tretiak-Often overlooked because he never played in the NHL this Russian goalie was one of the best goalies of all time.

Eddie Shore (the Edmonton Express)-Old time hockey

Guy Lafleur -He was great ,one of my hockey heroes when I was a kid.

Mike Bossy-Scored 50+ goals a year for 9 years of his 10 year career.

mips
January 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Should this thread not be called "The Great Ice Hockey Debate" ?

Hockey is played on grass or astro turf and I'm sure the rules are different as well.

yatt
January 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Valery Kharlamov - Fast, agile, and could score. He lived during the cold war, so he never played in the NHL. He is probably the best player Russia has ever produced.

fenian
January 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hockey is played on grass or astro turf ...

No its played on unicycles in a gym (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/unicon9/hockey.jpg).

il-luzhin
January 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Hockey is played on grass or astro turf and I'm sure the rules are different as well.

Well now that's just absurd!

zetetic
January 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Wrong. Hockey is played on a dry surface, usually made of wood, and using skates with wheels!

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_hockey

Please guys, let's think before posting!

alwiap
January 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Since this seems to be the only hockey post I have ever seen on these forums, can we discuss this year in the NHL and who looks good? I've been a Red Wings supporter my whole life and I think barring injury we've got a great chance to go all the way this year :)

bufsabre666
January 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Since this seems to be the only hockey post I have ever seen on these forums, can we discuss this year in the NHL and who looks good? I've been a Red Wings supporter my whole life and I think barring injury we've got a great chance to go all the way this year :)

and barring injuries on every other team and a miracle or two, my team isnt ganna go anywhere..... why did they get rid of drury

il-luzhin
January 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Since this seems to be the only hockey post I have ever seen on these forums, can we discuss this year in the NHL and who looks good? I've been a Red Wings supporter my whole life and I think barring injury we've got a great chance to go all the way this year

Sorry to tell you gentlemen, but my local team has Luongo.

Good Luck guys, you'll need it.

Seriously though, the redwings look strong this year... again

fuscia
January 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM
yzerman above orr? that's retarded.

alwiap
January 29th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Good Luck guys, you'll need it.

Seriously though, the redwings look strong this year... again

the wings have beat the canucks 3 times out of 3 this season :)

Luongo is amazing though

nalmeth
January 31st, 2008, 02:04 AM

Good Luck guys, you'll need it.And who else does Vancouver have?

Are the Sedins going to carry the 'Nucks through the playoffs? I doubt it.. :P
As good as Luongo is, he can't score goals.

Sorry to razz, but I'm a Flames fan. I have to bug the Canucks fans.
The Flames are built for the playoffs, and with Kipper starting to play in his element again, who knows what could happen.

the wings have beat the canucks 3 times out of 3 this season :smile:
Detroit is ALWAYS good, and no offense but I'd like to see them lose. Helluva club though

herbster
January 31st, 2008, 02:39 AM
I haven't followed hockey for some years, but I always put Messier ahead of Gretzky. Dude took that young rabble-rousing team in '90 and then the Rangers all the way, proved he wasn't a mere beneficiary of a dynasty. Easily one of if not THE best leaders the NHL ever done seen, nevermind his crazy skills.

bigdidz
January 31st, 2008, 02:51 AM
No, no, no!!! Hockey is all about Europe!! East Europe! Roy, Lemieux are all great players but are not great athletes. The beauty of hockey is not in a arena but out-side; on a ice-rink.

All the players you listed out wouldn't be the kind of role models I'd like my children to have.

My top 3 are : Stastny brothers, Vladislav Tretiak and (to assume my nationalism) Maurice Richard.

P.-S.: Hockey is only on ice. If you play a sport that you call hockey on grass, find yourself an other name!

stlcoptony
January 31st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Looks like I'm gonna be the lone Blues supporter here. I am beginning to appreciate what Boston went through all those years...........

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 07:03 AM
I want my all star Avalanche back! It was always a good time seeing both Forsberg and Roy on the ice together. I'll never forgot in '01 watching Sakic hand the Cup over to Bourgue.

alwiap
January 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
I want my all star Avalanche back! It was always a good time seeing both Forsberg and Roy on the ice together. I'll never forgot in '01 watching Sakic hand the Cup over to Bourgue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA

:popcorn:

bufsabre666
January 31st, 2008, 04:40 PM
i want the allstar avalanche back, they were always my favorite western confrence team

and considering roy was my idol as a young aspiring goaltender ((i played in goal from age 6-13, i moved to defence for highschool havent played since then though)) id be happy just to watch him play somemore

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 06:10 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA

Later on that season...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AymjQ2Ko6YI

alwiap
January 31st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Later on that season...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AymjQ2Ko6YI

i set myself up :)

in all honesty as much as I despised the Avs during that time it was great to have such a fresh rivalry, and both teams had their fair share of success :KS

Luggy
January 31st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Lacks Iggy.

Incense
January 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
i set myself up :)

in all honesty as much as I despised the Avs during that time it was great to have such a fresh rivalry, and both teams had their fair share of success :KS

Right back at ya. I have nothing but respect for the Red Wings. I've been to a few Avs vs Red Wings games, and they were some of the best I've ever seen.