PDA

View Full Version : I'm accidentally spreading FUD about Linux?

aysiu
September 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
So my website has stats about who's visiting from where. I like to check it out every now and then just to see how people are being referred to my essays, and a good thing I did!

Apparently, I've been spreading FUD about Linux accidentally. I noticed that someone was referring to my site from stumbleupon, and at first I thought, "Hey, that's cool. Someone actually likes my website and recommends it to others." So I clicked on the recommending site (http://trebuchet.stumbleupon.com/), and I saw that one of my Linux essays was linked to with this tag line Good guide for those who are considering Linux.

I've written quite a number of essays on Linux, so I was curious about which one this person linked to, and I read it. Oh, my God! This is FUD. Not good. Not good. I couldn't believe someone thought that was a good guide for people considering Linux. Here I've been the past couple of months writing all these PR articles on behalf of Linux now that I've converted over, and one of my earlier pieces (from October 2004) was turning people away from Linux. How could I? (How could you, earlier me?)

In case you're curious, here's the essay that was linked to (http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxvwindows.php). The bold stuff I added in today. The not-bold stuff was the original essay from October last year.

poofyhairguy
September 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
The disadvantage of the internet age.

papangul
September 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
The author of " Anatomy of a well-intentioned Linux Troll " meeting the author of "Linux v. Windows XP" and having a showdown! :grin:

egon spengler
September 22nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
It'll be interesting to see whether or not the guy keeps lnking to the essay now that it has been updated. Was he linking to it out of balance or because he doesn't like Linux and wanted to promote an article that basically would discourage someone fom trying linux?

aysiu
September 22nd, 2005, 10:00 PM
I don't think it's out of balance, because none of the other sites in that profile were pro-Linux.

skoal
September 22nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Did I hear FUD? and unknown referrals? Awh, FUDruckers...

\\//_