PDA

View Full Version : Gnome and XFCE without a mouse?

GOwin
September 22nd, 2005, 04:35 AM
I just realized that I find it impossible for me to navigate Gnome and XFCE without any mouse or pointing device! (I dunno about KDE, but I guess it would be the same.)

I know that things can be done from the terminal, and I guess I'm left to that but being a beginner, I still have to resort to the XFCE/Gnome often.

Is it just me or is this impossible?

papangul
September 22nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Sysyem-->Preferences-->Keyboard Shortcuts should be sufficient, have you tried it?

benplaut
September 22nd, 2005, 05:19 AM
Alt+F2 and Tab get most thigns done :wink:

GOwin
September 22nd, 2005, 05:21 AM
Not those shortcuts. I mean, like if you're on a Windows box, even without a mouse, you can still be access the main menu and stuff.

Wolki
September 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
I just realized that I find it impossible for me to navigate Gnome and XFCE without any mouse or pointing device! (I dunno about KDE, but I guess it would be the same.)

I know that things can be done from the terminal, and I guess I'm left to that but being a beginner, I still have to resort to the XFCE/Gnome often.

Is it just me or is this impossible?

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/input-keyboard.html#keyboard-navigation

Make all mouse actions available from the keyboard, and include keyboard access to all toolbars, menus, links and buttons. Every function your application provides must be available using the keyboard alone.

If you find a feature in a Gnome program that's not available using a keyboard, it's likely a bug.

I mean, like if you're on a Windows box, even without a mouse, you can still be access the main menu and stuff.

Alt-F1.