PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing about Jack FM

steveneddy
January 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I live near Dallas, Texas and we have a station here called Jack FM (http://www.jackontheweb.com/). Most major markets have this station. You know the one. No DJ's and lots of music. The variety is very mixed from 50's to current and everything in between.

Eclectic at it's highest.

I was listening to the Jack FM web station today and noticed that the songs were a little slow. At first I thought that the coffee was spiked this morning, but as the day wore on, I noticed that the songs were actually slower, and a little lower in pitch, like someone was putting a finger on the LP to slow it down or something.

Anyone else getting the same reaction?

kevdog
January 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM
"Playing what we want"

Isn't that what you want?

steveneddy
February 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM
"Playing what we want"

Isn't that what you want?

Yeah - but at the correct tempo.

It was really weird.

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
We don't have Jack FM here in Austin, but instead it's the 'Bob.' BobFM. Probably the same thing. Majorly canned music :D.

steveneddy
February 20th, 2008, 03:33 AM
We don't have Jack FM here in Austin, but instead it's the 'Bob.' BobFM. Probably the same thing. Majorly canned music :D.

So - if you listed to BobFM online, are the songs slower, or am I having flashbacks from my youth?

bimmerd00d
February 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
i thought i was the only one who noticed that! I'm not going crazy then :lolflag:

Quillz
February 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Does this only happen when you listen online? If so, it's probably some issue with the signal, or your Internet connection, something like that.

sr20ve
February 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I actually noticed a long time ago that it seemed some radio stations actually played the music slightly faster.

I was listening to the same song on CD and on radio at the same time and the radio version was slightly sped up. I just thought it was some scheme the radio stations do to increase advertising time or something. Most people wouldn't notice the songs being sped up, but over the course of a day, shaving a few seconds off each song would allow for another commercial or two.

aaaantoine
February 20th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I actually noticed a long time ago that it seemed some radio stations actually played the music slightly faster.

I was listening to the same song on CD and on radio at the same time and the radio version was slightly sped up. I just thought it was some scheme the radio stations do to increase advertising time or something. Most people wouldn't notice the songs being sped up, but over the course of a day, shaving a few seconds off each song would allow for another commercial or two.

I've noticed this too, and came to the same conclusion.

As for JackFM, I find the concept very silly. I guess it would help if your musical tastes are ecclectic, but a radio station whose premise is that it will play whatever the hell it wants strikes me as somewhat totalitarian.

Æniad
February 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I live near Dallas, Texas and we have a station here called Jack FM (http://www.jackontheweb.com/). Most major markets have this station. You know the one. No DJ's and lots of music. The variety is very mixed from 50's to current and everything in between.

Eclectic at it's highest.

I was listening to the Jack FM web station today and noticed that the songs were a little slow. At first I thought that the coffee was spiked this morning, but as the day wore on, I noticed that the songs were actually slower, and a little lower in pitch, like someone was putting a finger on the LP to slow it down or something.

Anyone else getting the same reaction?

Good to see someone from the area. My mother loves that station.

NJC
February 20th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I live near Dallas, Texas and we have a station here called Jack FM (http://www.jackontheweb.com/).

Because Vancouver BC (Canada) also has a JackFM with a "playing what we want" slogan, I found out that it's an on-air brand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_FM