PDA

View Full Version : PHP development envirionment recs

comfixit
January 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I need a recommendations for the following programs to set up a PHP development envirionment:

Lamp Stack - Something easy to install , I need PHP 5, MySQL and Apache. I run XAMPP off a USB drive that works well for windows environments, maybe that would work?

PHP IDE - Free of course. I am used to working with Notepad++ and find that nice. Something similar or superior would be good.

MySQL Administration - phpMyAdmin is good, but if there is a desktop interface rather then web based that might be faster.

HTML Editor - BlueFish seemed pretty decent last I looked, anything out that is better? Kompozer also tries valiantly to provide an ok WYSIWYG environment. Anyone know of a better combination of HTML/WYSIWYG editor programs?

FTP - Whats a good FTP app. I like Filezilla for Windows and suspect it's probably pretty decent on linux as well? Or is there something better?

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

LaRoza
January 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM

sudo tasksel

1. See stickies

2. Sorry, SQL only for me. Others have asked though, perhaps you can find out what they say.

3. Gedit (or other editor) plus a browser.

4. Filezilla is there in the repos, Filezilla portable runs in Wine but I use gFTP because Filezilla (the linux version) is causing my computer to crash (why, I have no idea)