PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking the iPhone without iTunes?

rune0077
January 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I know this has been discussed before, somewhere, but I just wanted to hear if there's any news on the subject now that a new iPhone software-version is out.

I'm thinking about getting one of them iPhones (yes, I need some new toys to play with), but I don't want to install windows again (I just got rid of it) and I heard that VirtuaBox won't detect the iPhone. So, basically, is there any way to jailbreak an iPhone through Ubuntu, without needing to connect it to iTunes?

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I know this has been discussed before, somewhere, but I just wanted to hear if there's any news on the subject now that a new iPhone software-version is out.

I'm thinking about getting one of them iPhones (yes, I need some new toys to play with), but I don't want to install windows again (I just got rid of it) and I heard that VirtuaBox won't detect the iPhone. So, basically, is there any way to jailbreak an iPhone through Ubuntu, without needing to connect it to iTunes?

yes, if you get one that is below 1.1.3, then you can go to jailbreakme.com or your iphone and that site will do it for you. :)

rune0077
January 28th, 2008, 02:11 AM
yes, if you get one that is below 1.1.3, then you can go to jailbreakme.com or your iphone and that site will do it for you. :)

Yeah, I actually stumbled on that site by chance. But it stands to reason, that if I buy a new iPhone it will be running 1.1.3 firmware, right? Which means I must have iTunes to downgrade it to 1.1.2. Which is pretty annoying.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I actually stumbled on that site by chance. But it stands to reason, that if I buy a new iPhone it will be running 1.1.3 firmware, right? Which means I must have iTunes to downgrade it to 1.1.2. Which is pretty annoying.

you can buy one prom ebay with 1.1.2 or one from there that is pre-hacked. check it out and im shure that you can find there elseware if you dont trust ebay.

rune0077
January 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah I guess. I was kinda having my heart set on a shiny new out-of-the-box one, though. Maybe I should just be patient and wait around. I'm sure jailbreakme or something similar will come up with a method in a not to distant future.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah I guess. I was kinda having my heart set on a shiny new out-of-the-box one, though. Maybe I should just be patient and wait around. I'm sure jailbreakme or something similar will come up with a method in a not to distant future.

im shure that you can find packaged ones with 1.1.2 on the internet, or did you want to buy from apple

rune0077
January 28th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I don't really care who I buy it from, I'm just to paranoid to buy from ebay or some such, where the person supplying it may or may not deliver what he/she promises.

hhhhhx
January 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I don't really care who I buy it from, I'm just to paranoid to buy from ebay or some such, where the person supplying it may or may not deliver what he/she promises.

ya, i was thinking that if you were to buy right away you may still be able to get an iphone from apple that has 1.1.2, i bought mine when 1.1.2 came out and it still had 1.1.1 on it.

ntetreau
January 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
If you are set on buying a brand new iphone, without paying the ebay premium for a 1.1.2, then you will most probably need to downgrade it using itunes first, then the jailbreak itself doesn't use it. I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to use sim cards to unlock it, but software unlock is still missing for 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 out of box versions.

For more details, read the stickies here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136

rune0077
January 30th, 2008, 12:46 AM
If you are set on buying a brand new iphone, without paying the ebay premium for a 1.1.2, then you will most probably need to downgrade it using itunes first, then the jailbreak itself doesn't use it. I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to use sim cards to unlock it, but software unlock is still missing for 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 out of box versions.

For more details, read the stickies here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Yeah, the sim cards should work, 'coz I already bought one of those (seemed like a smart idea, since they have since climbed in price and can be hard to come by). The purchase followed with manual instructions, including the need to downgrade to 1.1.1, but it all included iTunes - it's frustrating, 'coz I ain't installing Windows on my computer again just to use iTunes. Hmm, heard Crossover Office supports iTunes, though, maybe that's worth a try.