PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between CD-R/CD+R

Dark Aspect
January 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Whats the difference between CD+R and CD-R?I have heard before there is a quality difference but I can't tell a difference between the two.I have been using Verbatim CD-R and the only problem I have had from them is sometimes Ubuntu creates a brick when I try to create a audio CD.If I burn slower I normally don't have this problem.Whats a good brand\kind of Disc for data,music and typical use?

Do Verbatim create good quality CDs or should use another kind for writable media?I use TDK for DVDs.

logos34
January 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM
are you kidding? Verbatim are the best. Avoid Memorex like the plague. 80-min/700 MB cd-r is fine for data or music. (there's no diff in quality if you use 'music' cdr, either, AFAIK).

Sounds like your burning problem is a cdrom drive not media issue

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
are you kidding? Verbatim are the best. Avoid Memorex like the plague. 80-min/700 MB cd-r is fine for data or music. (there's no diff in quality if you use 'music' cdr, either, AFAIK).

Sounds like your burning problem is a cdrom drive not media issue

I use whatever is on sale.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_cdr_plus_and_cdr_mi nus&src=ansTT

Music ones have DRM built in and you pay a royalty for their use.

logos34
January 27th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Music ones have DRM built in and you pay a royalty for their use.

interesting...didn't know about the DRM part (never used 'em). Don't the royalties go to ASCAP or something?

Dark Aspect
January 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM
If CD-R's are good for most things.......then why or what would I need CD+R's for?

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
interesting...didn't know about the DRM part (never used 'em). Don't the royalties go to ASCAP or something?

I am not sure where they go, one pays for copy protection when they are bought.

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
If CD-R's are good for most things.......then why or what would I need CD+R's for?

You don't.

I get CD-R's but the barrel, and DVD-R's. I don't get RW's.