PDA

View Full Version : Monitors: Programmers Preference 1 wide or 2?

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I am curious what other programmer prefer for their 'work environment'

a single wide screen large monitor or two normal monitors side by side.

amo-ej1
January 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
i develop on my laptop (1400x1280 15'', or something like that) combined with a cheap external 15'' lcd (or was it 17'' ?) running at 1280x1024. Combined with a whoooole lot of xterms and a whoooole lot of virtual desktops ;-)

anthro398
January 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I have 2 20" widescreen monitors at work and I get pretty frustrated working on my single 19" at home. Here's a picture http://www.braggtown.com/photos/v/living/cube06/IMG_4862.JPG.html Actually, these are my old monitors. Recently upgraded.

amo-ej1
January 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
hey you're not programming there, you're only browsing google earth :D

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I have 2 20" widescreen monitors at work and I get pretty frustrated working on my single 19" at home. Here's a picture http://www.braggtown.com/photos/v/living/cube06/IMG_4862.JPG.html Actually, these are my old monitors. Recently upgraded.

You still have a beige keyboard? I thought those were next to impossible to find anymore... well except I have one too.

pmasiar
January 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Whatever gives me the biggest screen area. At home I have 2 old 21" CRT monitors, which was supposed to be trashed. I took them :-)

Lster
January 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I use (and love) notebook screens. 1280x800 does fine!

ssam
January 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i am currently enjoying using a laptop and desktop side by side. they both have access to the same filesystem over AFS

i use one as the editor (vim) and the other to run the program (particle tracking simulations). so two screens and two keyboards.

cprofitt
January 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
i am currently enjoying using a laptop and desktop side by side. they both have access to the same filesystem over AFS

i use one as the editor (vim) and the other to run the program (particle tracking simulations). so two screens and two keyboards.

AFS = Andrew File System?

anthro398
January 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hey, I still have like 3 Microsoft Natural Elite keyboards. A couple of them are PS2. The 3m Renaissance Mouse (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ergonomics/home/products/ergonomicmouse/) rocks.

Ok, you're right, I wasn't programming there, by a screen full of text is a little less interesting as a photographic subject.

Erdaron
January 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Two monitors, hands down.

I usually use my laptop and an external monitor, both 15". I also have a single 19" monitor, and I much prefer using the two smaller ones. Using two monitors of different sizes weirds me out.

Belyel
January 27th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Since going to widescreen monitors, I can hardly work at the weaksauce "normal" ratio. I use a widescreen with a 4:3 to the right. The 4:3 holds webpages/email/references and the left is for the IDE.

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Non profession here.

I have a 17" LCD, but I have four workspaces and six virtual terminals.

ZylGadis
January 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Why only two?

I currently have a 24" lcd (1920x1200) with two 17" lcds on its sides (1280x1024 each). The pixel sizes of those two species (phys/res) are almost equivalent, which is good for eyestrain, and is an almost unique combination for differently sized monitors (has anyone tried a 24" next to a 19", for example? Or a 28" next to a 30"? Ha!)

I am thinking of adding another 24" in the future, possibly on top of the first one (center), or I might turn them vertically.

In all cases, the more screen space you have, the better you can develop. So I recommend investigating into the smallest pixel size you can see without straining (the boundary for me is the 0.25mm of the 30" ones), and getting as many such pixels as possible*. My res at the moment is 4480x1200 :)

You also have to be aware that huge monitors are bad for your eyes, because they are flat, and the effect is that your eyes see a negative curve (corners are farther than the center). Until the monitor manufacturers come up with a curved monitor, you are much better off with several small monitors, which you can turn as you need to, than with a huge one.

*Obviously, at some point you will fill your front vision with pixels, and you will have to turn your head around, not just your eyes, to see something at the edge. At that point, you don't need any more monitors. My configuration barely fits in my horizontal range, but there is a lot more space to fill vertically.

cprofitt
January 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I do not have a tri-head card nor two video cards at this point so I have not ventured to three screens.