PDA

View Full Version : Call for help

mots
January 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hi,
I've been using Linux exclusively for 4 Years now (first Ubuntu, now Arch, you gotta love i686-optimization) on my laptop, which I need for both school and coding. But as it approaches its 2nd birthday, it seems to die: It hardly ever boots, claiming that the "Bios does not be installed" (no, my english ain't that bad, this is a 1:1 quote).
This is quite a problem, as I really need it for school (sure, coding is fun, but school actually is important)
Fortunately, Microsoft is giving a lame "My Hotmail-Story"-Contest in my Country, and guess what the main prize is :D.
I, as a Microsoft-Hater who converted half of his school to Linux, submitted my own Story, comparing Live Mail with gmail (of course favouring gmail ;D) and I really hope to get my laptop from M$ (oh sweet irony). So if you want to support me, click "Für diese Live-Story voten" here (http://hotmailcontest.microsoft.at/ReadStory.aspx?Id=f5b33687-3715-4f18-a889-ffb7d1b7b9e6)and spread the link to your friends (you might have to log in with your MSN-Account to confirm the vote, if you don't have one, you could create it at live.com).
I hope I don't break any rules with this, but if I do, feel free to PM me and I'll remove this post.

Thanks in advance,
mots

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
It is possible the battery is dying.

I am not an expert on laptops, but odd BIOS and CMOS errors are usually the result of a dying batter.

mots
January 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Well, I've actually replaced the CMOS battery, but according to some websites, it's the damn VIA-Raid-Chip, which is impossible to replace (Who the hell uses RAID in a Laptop anyway?)

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well, I've actually replaced the CMOS battery, but according to some websites, it's the damn VIA-Raid-Chip, which is impossible to replace (Who the hell uses RAID in a Laptop anyway?)

Oh. My condolence to your laptop.

I didn't know you could...