PDA

View Full Version : nvida.com vs repos

swoll1980
January 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I have version 169.09 installed from nvidia.com I found that these drivers work a lot better with no ill effects. there have been post made that this is a bad idea. Is there anyone who installed nvidia.com's drivers and had problems directly related to using them? To me it seems silly using old outdated drivers unless there is some actual evidence that they can break your system.

FuturePilot
January 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The only downside to installing the drivers from Nvidia manually is that when a kernel update comes through it breaks X. It's not that hard to fix though. Just rerun the installer.

bufsabre666
January 27th, 2008, 08:09 AM
just use envy, it takes the nvidia.com drivers and sets them up so they work perfectly

swoll1980
January 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM
That seems pretty simple just keep the .run file saved on your computer update the kernel, boot into recovery, run the installer, and there you go

swoll1980
January 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
just use envy, it takes the nvidia.com drivers and sets them up so they work perfectly

when I used envy it only gave me version 1.0 something 10 minutes later I got 169.09 from nvidia.com and it compiled it for me there's something about compiling custom drivers that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

hhhhhx
January 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
when I used envy it only gave me version 1.0 something 10 minutes later I got 169.09 from nvidia.com and it compiled it for me there's something about compiling custom drivers that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

that's your inner tux :lolflag:

Gigamo
January 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Is there any harm installing the drivers from nvidia.com over the ones that I installed with the restricted drivers manager?

I mean, the ones from the RDM are 100.14.19, and I'd ilke to upgrade to the newest version. Should I just download the .run from nvidia and install it, or do I uninstall the ones from RDM first?

andrek
January 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It doesn't matter, during new drivers' installation you will get an info about uninstalling the old ones, so you just have to agree. Nvidia drivers are installed pretty plainly so the installer does the job great [ i've done 'reinstalling drivers' operation via nvidia installer many times and it works great ]