PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Eee PC

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Who has one? Are they good? I really want one, but I think I want to wait until they release at least an 8" version with that annoying black thing around the screen, as seen here:

http://clumpc.com/?p=5

Mateo
January 27th, 2008, 04:59 AM
The annoying black thing is speakers ;). Get the all black Eee and it doesn't look so out of place.

By the way, they are good, but don't expect to chuck your main laptop on account of getting one. Eee is perfect for travel purposes.

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Well, right now I only have a desktop, and was looking into a laptop, and been looking at the EEE PC for a while.

The speakers are like the size of a quarter though, they don't need that huge rim around it!! Lol

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 05:51 AM
http://gizmodo.com/342468/real-live-pictures-of-89+inch-asus-eee-pc
Looking better and better....we will see!!!!

CaptainTux
January 27th, 2008, 05:54 AM
When mr tax refund comes I plan on getting one. I've never really liked PDA's, but I have always wanted something smaller than a laptop for toting around. Smartphones? Nah, I am pragmatic. I want my phone to be a phone...not a camera, not an mp3 player..a phone.

I will let ya know my thoughts on it in March. ;)

Whiffle
January 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I'd love an eeePC just to mod it, theres some pretty sweet things that can be done. But other than that...no thanks. My T43 readily travels with me everywhere I've gone (comfortably in my backpack), so a smaller one really wouldn't help. That and my treo can play games/movies, etc, so yeah..

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Yeah but this one has a SSD. Lol.
I wanna put in a touch screena and more storage....but I will probably keep it stock and just raise the resolution if I run XP, and put 2gb RAM along with a 16gb SD card in there.

Roasted
January 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
What do you guys think of this, honestly?

Although I just got a laptop, I'm a huge ***** about build quality. So when I was messing with it and I saw how solid it was I was impressed. I started to consider a few other things too, like the 3 usb ports that could easily accommodate a 2.5 inch external hdd, along with a 16gb SD card or something of that nature.

But the bottom line I can't stop wondering about is this.

For one - is the 7 inch screen tolerable? Or is it hard as balls to see at arm's length away?

For two - Is there a new generation around the corner set to come out that'll make this thing outdated already? I'd hate to buy it and instantly an 8.5 inch model be out at the same price or something.

Any thoughts?
Anybody hear anything about future generations to come?
New features? Prices? Anything?

dasunst3r
January 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I get Eee envy whenever I use my friend's, and I have used it a few times. Honestly, I would rather have something with a larger screen and a full-pitch keyboard.

Roasted
January 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Well, considering the fact I have a pda with a 3.5 inch screen, having a 7 inch screen wont be a big issue, I don't think.

The only thing I question is how bright and clear the screen is on the eee. Are things easy to read, despite your desire for a bigger screen? Can I be at a full arms length away and everything still be clear?

fatality_uk
January 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have a release date for the 9" screen? I may well hold off from getting one if it's within a few weeks!!!

Ub1476
January 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM
No official release date, but there are rumors a 8" 9" (touchscreen and 1024x800 res) and 10" will come around April-June. I'm gonna wait;)

gn2
January 27th, 2008, 03:08 PM
The larger 9" screen Eee has been formally announced for second quarter of 2008, so I would suggest holding off until then.
Rumour is it could be touchscreen.

There's also going to be a 9" Everex Cloudbook.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/08/ces_2_gen_eee_pc_no_show/
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/17/everex_announces_9in_cloudbook/

fatality_uk
January 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cool. Will wait. I am putting a business case together for a roll out of EEE PC's to all the sales dept. Combined with a 7.2 USB Vodafone modem, should be a great bit of kit.

Lord Illidan
January 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'd get one like a shot if it had a larger screen. I don't care about speakers, I use headphones all the time.

Roasted
January 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Is there a projected price for the 8 or 8.9 inch versions? I'm expecting they'll be more, but I'll also take this opportunity to save up as well if I'm going to be waiting.

Will the touch screen version still have the trackpad? I don't give a damn about touch screen... I like using the old school touchpad to get around.

rosetown
January 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I purchased my 4G Galaxy black model 701B just before Xmas. I traveled to Florida with it - didn't occupy much space - works very well.

I, had a friend, who is a Microsoft word wizard, put the OOo suite through it's paces, whiles lying on a sofa, typing away madly. She had the suite doing things I never knew were possible and at such high speed that I couldn't follow her keystrokes. When I asked her to compare Open Office to Word, she replied "It is Word". She loved the form factor, "I can carry it in my purse".

To answer some questions:

1) colour - it's easier to see the keys in dim light on the white model than the black.
2) The screen is quite visible - because of the form factor the screen is much closer to your eyes than on a 15.4 laptop. After using the Eee it's difficult to adjust to the 15.4 laptop. I want to push my head back just to see the larger screen and I move my head around much more to scan the screen.
3) Screen brightness is easily adjustable - but bright Florida sunlight outside renders it useless.

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks a lot for that man!

I was also thinking about the Cloudbook as said above, but I have heard around that Everex is a shoddy name for laptops, and the Cloudbook doesn't have a SSD, but it does have a 30gb and DVI port....

I will however, be getting one in June no matter what (some sort of laptop), and I cannot wait to see the new EEE PCs as Asus is an amazing name and I really want to see some bigger ones.

According to a Computerworld report, the 9in CloudBook may be called the DevBook and will incorporate a touchscreen display. It too will run the Linux-derived gOS and be priced at $400-500. The target audience: Linux software developers.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/17/everex_announces_9in_cloudbook/

However, this looks really nice.........

rosetown
January 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
A few more observations and opinions on the Eee:

1) Because of the SSD it is silent, until the fan kicks in, and in my case the fan is barely audible in a quiet room. If the refrigerator is running (a noisy beast) I cannot hear the fan.

2) Great community support at:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/

3) Keyboard - I type as well on it as on any other laptop - although it takes practice.

4) Portability - now here's the joy - no need to elaborate.

5) Works out of the box - fast boot - and the joy is the built in system restore. Factory settings are restored simply by booting while repeatedly tapping F9. You should back up data before restoring but nonetheless individual program settings are lost. I've restored once, but it was so long ago that I can no longer remember why.

6) I'm using the stock operating system and programs provided by Xandros, and because it meets all of my needs out of the box, there is no compelling reason for change.

7) I have a Panasonic SDHC class 6 4G - it runs fast and I've had no stability problems with it. It's important to buy a good quality SDHC because some are reporting failures. At, some future time, I will purchase a 16G SDHC class 6 or higher.

8) Sound is good quality - volume is good - comes with Amarok as the music manager. It works well with my external 4 speaker setup which has a subwoofer with built-in amplifier.

9) I have updated the pre-installed Skype 1.4 to Skype 2.0.0.27 Eee beta - written specifically for the Eee. Video calls work well person to person. No video on conference calls.

I'll stop now - I think I'm going overboard.

Regards Duane

Techwiz
January 27th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I am considering buying the next version when ic comes out. And was wondering how well it runs Ubuntu. How fast. And how Ubuntu looks on such a small screen, does it hinder its use?

Techwiz
January 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Oh and also, I was wondering if the built in wireless works out of the box with Ubuntu Gutsy. And the camera, does the built in camera work out of the box with Gutsy?

rosetown
January 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Oh and also, I was wondering if the built in wireless works out of the box with Ubuntu Gutsy. And the camera, does the built in camera work out of the box with Gutsy?

I don't know - I haven't installed 7:10 on the Eee.
If you haven't already tried it the link below might be helpful:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611422&highlight=asus+eee

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Can you boot from an SD card on the EEE? Because I want to keep the previous OS installed or istall Gutsy, but I want to boot XP from the 16gb SD card and want to know if it is possible, this way I could have unlimited possibilities of OSs just booting off cards!! :p

mark2
January 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Who has one? Are they good? I really want one, but I think I want to wait until they release at least an 8" version with that annoying black thing around the screen, as seen here:

http://clumpc.com/?p=5

One of the NOC guys at my place of work bought one for his wife, but he let us all have a fiddle with it 1st (great thing about working for a small ISP).

It was a pretty cool little beast, it streamed Video & music without a hitch and apparently the dudes wife loves it.

I'd give it the thumbs up for being worth dropping a few bucks on if you wanted a linux "PDA" (they bring back memories of PSION EPOC Series 5, i have one ;) it still goes too!

rosetown
January 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Can you boot from an SD card on the EEE? Because I want to keep the previous OS installed or istall Gutsy, but I want to boot XP from the 16gb SD card and want to know if it is possible, this way I could have unlimited possibilities of OSs just booting off cards!! :p
Yes, it's possible, many are booting multiple operating systems with no seemingly degradation in speed, but as you know, it requires a lot of skill. Something I have bothered to acquire. Also, they are using quality SDHC cards.

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes, it's possible, many are booting multiple operating systems with no seemingly degradation in speed, but as you know, it requires a lot of skill. Something I have bothered to acquire. Also, they are using quality SDHC cards.

Regards Duane

Thanks!

Roasted
January 28th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Another user on another forum posted actual screenshots for me of him running XP. You actually have more space than I thought on that 7 inch screen. It's laid out in a very logical manner.

However, I've heard RUMORS of an 8 inch or 8.9 inch Eee coming out in April... and since I won't have the money for one for AT LEAST another month, I decided to just wait and see what happens with the next gen. But I DEFINITELY want one!

Tristicus
January 28th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Same here. ASUS has anounced that there WILL be an EEE PC with a bigger screen in 2nd quarter 2008 and maybe a touch screen.

There is a driver for Xp to make the resolution around 1024x768 or w.e

Roasted
January 28th, 2008, 12:44 AM
My question is, even if it's a touch screen, will it still have the touch pad to navigate the mouse? Touch screen would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to stand using that 247. In fact, even if it is a touch screen, I doubt I'll use it.

I would just like at least an 8 inch screen, preferably closer to 9 inch, and higher resolution. Even though the 7 inch one is really badass, if I can get a 9"... I'm sold. Instantly.

Make me proud, ASUS!

rosetown
January 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I purchased it primarily for travel, Thus, my considerations were working out of the box, ease of portability, good wireless, skype, and and a robust software environment. It meets my needs in all respects.

Other users requirements may vary. If one has no compelling reason to purchase it, by all means wait.

Regards Duane

Roasted
January 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I have no true reason to buy one, besides the fact I simply want a mobile laptop. I start work soon in the IT field, so I'm sure I can find a use for it there.

The only reason I'm waiting is due to lack of money. However, since I have no choice but to wait anyway for the $$ to come in, I might as well wait a bit longer for a newer gen to come out.

But, like I said, I hope they still have the touch pad. :)

rosetown
January 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Touch screen would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to stand using that 247. In fact, even if it is a touch screen, I doubt I'll use it.

Agreed

As a dedicated device such as an e-book reader, it might make sense, although the screen would require regular cleaning. Why hasn't a touch screen made inroads on normal sized laptops, which have been around for a long time? I assume surveys indicate that consumers don't care for it. It would be a big mistake, in my opinion, to introduce a touch screen on the Eee thus eliminating the touchpad.

Regards Duane

gn2
January 28th, 2008, 02:18 AM
It would be good if the touchscreen was an option.

Touchscreen is available now for the Eee, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-BbOWVgXg

Can also be made to work under Linux. Apparently.

Tristicus
January 28th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I mean, the mod has been around since the beginning, along with $400 extra in mods.

If it eliminated the touch pad, I would just get the older version. I will be getting the Logitech USB Nano mouse anyways (So COOL!).

rosetown
January 28th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Touchscreen is available now for the Eee, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VaerIGpO5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-BbOWVgXg.

Well, it's not available - it's a hardware modification and some have permanently wrecked their Eees in the attempt. Admittedly, they probably had poor electronic skills.

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Yep. If I was careful, I could def. mod it, but I really hate voiding warranties and also I don't wanna messup....

gn2
January 28th, 2008, 03:50 AM
If you liked the touchscreen mod you'll love this: http://tinyurl.com/2dotpw

rosetown
January 28th, 2008, 04:10 AM
If you liked the touchscreen mod you'll love this: http://tinyurl.com/2dotpw

I read the whole wiki - He doesn't give up does he?

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Haha yeah I have read it before too. Seems he has done everything! I just wish the EEE came with a 16gb SSD like the one that might be shipping to JAPAN!!

Roasted
January 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Two questions...

Is the hard drive replaceable in these things?

Also - How's the audio sound? Is it pretty decent? I'd like to hook it up to my stereo system just to give it a solid test at high volume. :guitar: When I get one, that is.

Sslaxx
January 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
For me, I'd just want a nice, cheap and usable laptop. The Eee sounds like it may well fit that bill! Once I've got the cash I intend to get one. Might wait until April-June time, might not, we shall see...

rosetown
January 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Two questions...

Is the hard drive replaceable in these things?
Of all the models currently being sold only the 8G model has a replaceable SSD in a mini PCI slot. On the other models the SSD is soldered (no mini PCI slot).

Also - How's the audio sound? Is it pretty decent? I'd like to hook it up to my stereo system just to give it a solid test at high volume. :guitar: When I get one, that is.
Audio is typical of your standard laptop with built-in audio. I'm satisfied.

Regards Duane

Tristicus
January 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Wow....thats awesome. I might buy an 8g now just so I can put in a bigger HDD later! Great move on that ASUS.

Roasted
January 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Perhaps the 8g will come down to 400 around April, then.

My limit is pretty much 400, unless I want to work slave-driven overtime. Uh, no thanks. I'd rather not get carpel tunnel overnight. :(

Tristicus
January 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Yeah....400 is my limit too. I AM REALLY HOPING they get the 8" 8gb for $400 out before March....because then I can get the 2gb of RAM and the 16gb SD card for my b-day.

Roasted
January 29th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I'm fine with the 4g version. Quite frankly, no matter what size drive I get, I'll be adding an SD card to it that's a minimal of 16gb. I also plan to get a 2.5" external HDD (120gb) to house all of my pictures and music.

I always thought this...

OS goes on the SSD.
Documents/Music/Pictures on the SD/External HDD.

As long as the OS is on the SSD I figure the speed of it should be plenty sufficient to please me, while the rest of my storage is kept on external media.

Has anybody heard that the SSD has a limited read/write time of an estimated 5-10 years? Granted, that's pretty decent compared to hard drives, but nonetheless I thought it was strange they already came out and announced this when SSD's are pretty much new.

rosetown
January 29th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Perhaps the 8g will come down to 400 around April, then.

Or, the price could increase - The 8G 1Gig ram is in short supply and there is overwhelming demand - good luck if you can find one - I can't. It may be some time before Asus finally starts delivering the 8g in sufficient quantities to meet demand.

Regards Duane

Roasted
January 29th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Or, the price could increase - The 8G 1Gig ram is in short supply and there is overwhelming demand - good luck if you can find one - I can't. It may be some time before Asus finally starts delivering the 8g in sufficient quantities to meet demand.

Regards Duane

Meh, that's fine. Like I said, if I can get a 4G version, I'd be happy. But I'm also quite a researcher when it comes to getting something I want, so I'm sure I can find SOMETHING on one of these web sites that carry this thing... Best Buy, Amazon, Newegg, etc... Something out there would have it, I hope anyways.

But... if the price goes up, sorry ASUS. You'd lose a customer. If the price goes down, I'll tell all my friends. And I have a lot of tech friends. ;) ;)

Tristicus
January 29th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Same here.

gn2
January 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Has anybody heard that the SSD has a limited read/write time of an estimated 5-10 years?

You can sefely discount that as FUD.

So long as the correct driver is used there shouldn't be a problem.

How many conventional hard drives are still going at 10 years as a percentage of units shipped?

Roasted
January 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I know, but conventional hard drives are a bit different. Since SSD's are new, I wasn't sure what to think since I can't back that up by saying, OH, WELL, I HAVE AN IDE DRIVE THATS 14 YEARS OLD. I mean, different design, I didn't think I could compare them.

Also................... FUD?? :confused:

rosetown
January 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Also................... FUD?? :confused:
Fear Uncertainty Doubt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt

Tristicus
January 31st, 2008, 04:06 AM
Man....Asus anouncing all this other EEE stuff makes me think the 8" will be pushed back!!!

rapsodia
January 31st, 2008, 06:46 AM
i just got one. the Xandros OS let me down it gives a "not a real laptop" look and the underclocking for me does not go well, but i installed ubuntu on it of course and all its great features come out to play almost everything works right out the box compiz most hotkeys resolution the processor runs at its 900Mhz . yes it did take a bit to get it all set up but no big deal, i managed to get everything working as far as i can see there are some great patches out right now that some wonderful put together and it makes it very easy to install. so to conclude get it i dont think you will be regreting.

Artemis3
January 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM
I have one and it is good. The bundled distro (Xandros) sucks, so i installed ubuntu (eeeXubuntu (http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home)).

There are various hardware issues so installing Ubuntu as usual will leave you some components not working. You could either fix them by hand; run some user supplied scripts; or use a custom image like eeeXubuntu to fix things like wifi, mic, etc.

The wifi requires a blob (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob) and hopefully someday this will be available via restricted drivers in ubuntu. In the meantime there is a madwifi patch with the blob which is the one used in scripts and custom images.

The 900mhz Pentium M processor comes downclocked to 630mhz, probably to reduce heat and give it a margin in hot weather. I have no problem with it as i don't see much benefit with full speed. Some people push it harder and find the fan working more often or having the system become unstable...

No optical drive, so either get an usb one (you have 3 usb ports) or put your images into an usb flash/sd card. You could leave the card in and install it there, no big deal but pay attention to grub as people keep making mistakes where and how to install it.

It is small and light as a subnotebook, easy to carry anywhere.

thedarkfinder
January 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, considering the fact I have a pda with a 3.5 inch screen, having a 7 inch screen wont be a big issue, I don't think.

The only thing I question is how bright and clear the screen is on the eee. Are things easy to read, despite your desire for a bigger screen? Can I be at a full arms length away and everything still be clear?

I have owned the eee for about 2 months now, 4g. The screen is just fine. The 7 inches are used very well, under eeexbuntu. If you know how to use the right controls, zoom, f11 key, and really understand how to get the most out of it.

As for brightness, I find that at 70% brightness is just fine for reading at arms length, for taking notes 50% is fine. The text is really sharp. To compare the screen quality is better then ibm t43 or syncmaster930a.

As for over all size. it is really small and I a big person. I can almost palm the key board. That being said, after 3 weeks, I was up to normal speed. Yes the keyboard is different but very usable.

I got on and thinking about getting another.

Word of warning though, eeexbuntu is not prefect.
It works well for now, until ubuntu can offer full hardware support. In eeexbuntu, spell check does not work in openoffice or in firefox. You have to install the right dictionary, and follow the rules in the wizard installer. I still have not gotten firefox to work.

Now a word about the harddrive. The ssd will out last 4 eee's. So wanting to upgrade is pointless. 4gb are more the enough. There is something to point out there. You can install programs on a sd card and use them on the eee, using eeexbuntu, and I assume any ubuntu. You can also install the whole os on the sd card and not use the ssd. The issue here is what are you going to use it for. IF you want a moble internet device. Then the eee is for you. IF you want to store movies, play music, and store edit/pictures, then get a 16gb sd card.

If you want to edit music, edit music, play videos games, get a laptop.

Personally, I paid about 399 for the eee. I love it.

The build quality is rock solid.

rosetown
February 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM
4gb are more the enough. There is something to point out there. You can install programs on a sd card and use them on the eee, using eeexbuntu, and I assume any ubuntu. You can also install the whole os on the sd card and not use the ssd. The issue here is what are you going to use it for. IF you want a moble internet device. Then the eee is for you. IF you want to store movies, play music, and store edit/pictures, then get a 16gb sd card.

If you want to edit music, edit music, play videos games, get a laptop.

Personally, I paid about 399 for the eee. I love it.

The build quality is rock solid.
I agree, 4G is more than enough and one can add an SDHC card of the size required for one own needs. In this world of 500Gig and 1 terabyte hard drives it might seem that the Eee couldn't possibly fit the bill. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's a trooper in real world usage. The stock distribution, a modified Xandros, is robust and needs little by way of addition for most . Did I say it's portable - Man, is it portable!!!

Tristicus
February 1st, 2008, 06:20 AM
U really want to get a 32gb SD card for my EEE when I get it. I hope they are out by then and not $200 each....

Roasted
February 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
For my typical use, I think the 4gb SSD + 16gb SD card would be just fine. Then instead of investing in bigger SD cards, I'd simply get a 2.5" external hdd for the big stuff.

I just don't have the money for one. So while I save for one, I sit here longing for a slightly bigger screen. I hope it comes out by the time I have money for one!!

Tristicus
February 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah. I have a 120gb Passport, so I should be good. I think what I will do, is MAYBE keep the stock Xandros or install Ubuntu (prob. Ubuntu) and then boot XP off a card....

Roasted
February 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Quite frankly, I'll have to test Ubuntu on it before I decide whether or not I want it. I just think something like that will be nicer to have XP on since I'll be taking it to work, where I'm an IT guy. Plus I'm half tempted to try an MMORPG (Ultima Online) that has very very low requirements to run smoothly. I'm curious to see if it'll play!

But nonetheless, I'm thinking my music/pictures will be on an external HDD, with documents on an SD card, and the OS on the SSD. I got it all planned out. ;)

Tristicus
February 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hahah I am still thinking about it lol.

I will prob. install some games such as Older UTs and Nexuiz and older AOE

Roasted
February 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Now, is it confirmed that a bigger screened EEE is coming, or is that just rumors?

Because I was googling it last night and I found an article that said ASUS announced at CES an 8 inch and 8.9 inch is on the way... The pictures had an actual 8 inch prototype sitting right next to the 7 inch model, and had a drawing of what the 8.9 inch is projected to look like.

Is it confirmed, or simply a rumor?

Tristicus
February 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Confirmed, just nobody knows when, which is the problem I have, considering I have $400 sitting in front of me and really want one of these tiny beasts.

HermanAB
February 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
The little screen isn't a problem. All that happens is that one runs everything full screen and use virtual desktops to switch between applications. I also turn off all the useless toolbars in the applications I use. If you really need a bigger screen, plug one in.

I'm running Mandriva 2008.1 Cooker now with KDE and it works OK. I'm using it right now in fact. Mandriva with KDE installed in 1.9GB, leaving another 2 GB for documents. I also have an 8 GB SD card plugged in and permanently mounted as /data, but it is still empty.

Go ahead and buy one, your only regret will be that you didn't get one earlier.

Luigi239
February 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
I got one around Christmas time, and installed Ubuntu on it. It works fabulously.You do have to do some tweaking to it, but that is not very hard.

I love mine, and a family member and a friend are planning to get one soon.

paintba||er
February 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I had planned on getting one (the 8GB) within the next month or two, but now I'm not so sure. I really don't want to buy one only to have new ones come out a few months later, but I also don't want to wait a few months. And the CloudBook is looking very tempting.

Tristicus
February 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
The Cloudbook, yes, is tempting, but the EEE is also made by ASUS, which gives it a plus. There is also way more support, it is upgradeable (I don't know if Cloudbook is), it can support 1024x768 with the right hacks, and such.....IDK.

I will have to see user reviews on Cloudbook before I start REALLY thinking about getting it over the EEE.

jpittack
February 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
tomshardware.com gave a review of the machine. Not sure why there is antivirus on it.

Roasted
February 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I just looked at the Cloudbook.

First impression? Meh... meh meh meh. That mouse kills it for me. I can see how it'd be a nice EXTRA feature, but using that as the primary mouse and that being your only option to navigate? Pffft. PASS.

Since I'm poor anyway and I don't have 400 yet for the Eee, I'll just keep saving up for the 8.9" version set to come out. I hope it comes out relatively soon. I can't imagine that it would take THAT long to put a 8.9" version in, considering they'd be using the same body as the 7" version with some tweaks. But anyway, I'll just be patient.

paintba||er
February 4th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Ya, the trackpad is the only thing that is making me think twice about getting the CloudBook. It seems to fit my needs better than the Eee in every way besides the trackpad which makes me want to vomit.

jbonll05
February 6th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I have had an Eee 4g Surf for about a week. I am a senior citizen and the small screen is readable at arms length and the keyboard is suprisingly useable. The little machine's hardware is o.k. and runs cool for me. I am still using the Xandros OS that came loaded. I plan on putting Xubuntu on it this weekend. The Xandros OS is not as capable as Xubuntu. The updater is not supplied with updates and add and remove programs is by command line and title.
I am going to try a new install from the cd using the "advanced" settings if I can get it to work. They have a small forum. Oh yes, wifi worked out of the box and has connected to wifi in offices and other locations I have visited.
JB

johndc
February 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I will probably keep it stock and just raise the resolution if I run XP,

How would you raise the resolution while keeping it stock?

I'm curious.

Ya, the trackpad is the only thing that is making me think twice about getting the CloudBook.

The 30GB HDD would be my only reason for using the CloudBook. But I like the shock-proof-ness of solid-state. And with the price of SD cards dropping rapidly....

Tristicus
February 6th, 2008, 03:48 AM
How would you raise the resolution while keeping it stock?

I'm curious.

The 30GB HDD would be my only reason for using the CloudBook. But I like the shock-proof-ness of solid-state. And with the price of SD cards dropping rapidly....
All you have to do is install a driver, which is basically keeping it "stock".

johndc
February 6th, 2008, 04:47 AM

yeah but... the native resolution of the LCD is physically fixed.

Tristicus
February 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM
It isn't dude. People are getting it to change with a driver....here:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=129011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMf0btovCU

Guess you also have to mod the bios a tiny bit,

johndc
February 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Sorry, man. Neither one of those is proof of anything.

In the forum thread you posted the issue isn't resolved.

The video is even worse. Half the time it is out of focus, and you never see screen up close and running at a higher resolution.

Theoretically, I could run my 1280x1024 LCD at 2560x2048, but I'd still only be looking at 1,280 physical columns and 1,024 physical rows.

I think you might be misinformed about this particular hack.

Sounds like these guys just want to compress more data onto the same sized screen or something.

rosetown
February 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
How would you raise the resolution while keeping it stock

What is your definition of stock?

yeah but... the native resolution of the LCD is physically fixed.
True

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=129011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMf0btovCU

Guess you also have to mod the bios a tiny bit,
Yes, with some trickery, the results of which are unsatisfactory to many, but may please an out of control moder.

Regards Duane

starcannon
February 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
After owning one, I would NOT recommend the cloudbook to anyone.
This thing is an absolute p.o.s.
The warranty isn't worth the paper its written on.
My dog knows more about gOS than the everex tech support.
The HDD failed with less than 40 hours on it.
The RAM bay is hopelessly buried meaning if you want to upgrade ram, you either pay 3 times what ram is worth to have everex do it for you (3 week turn around time) or you void the warranty.
The HDD is hopelessly buried meaning if HDD fails you have to send the laptop in for repair (3 week turn around time) or void the warranty replacing it yourself.
Its a VIA based laptop, including gpu, this thing was built expressly for windows xp, in fact as far as I know the only drivers available at the everex website are for XP and not for the native gOS linux that the laptop shipped with.
This thing is a $400 brick.

I have both a 2G-Surf and a 4G-701, if I had it to do over again I'd be patient and wait for the Everex Cloudbook $399 to come out on wal-mart shelves, hopefully mid Febuary 2k8

http://www.everex.com/

It's so nice I may just grab one anyway and give this 4G to my youngest daughter, already gave the 2G to my oldest daughter.

Tristicus
February 11th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Ehh...I still want the EEE.

HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE 8" VERSION ASUS! I am getting anxious with this money lawl.