PDA

View Full Version : Show me the money.

Omnios
January 27th, 2008, 02:18 AM
K big question? Show me the money. A lot of people have been plugging away at computers for years. A lot of users have gained a lot of good skills.

Show me the money is a question for those who work in the computer field. As the question states and I would really like to know is where the money is for working in the computer fields.

More important what should I learn to make money in the computer field and how? I have had programmers stating there is a lot of money in Java. Some say learn CSS etc for web design.

Anyways this is not just for my self but others also wondering is there money in the computer field.

What certificates should one get etc etc.
:roll:

23meg
January 27th, 2008, 03:04 AM
More important what should I learn to make money in the computer field and how?

It's hard to give definitive advice, since there are too many variables such as your location, current skills, interests, etc. You can make money with pretty much every current technology if you know what you're doing. The one piece of definitive advice that's perhaps safe to give is: you should learn to learn new things.

The computer industry is completely redefined with new technologies, trends and ways of doing things with a period of five years at most. Which basically means that whatever you learn today and no matter how proficient you are at it and how you get yourself certified, unless you can unlearn, relearn and update yourself, you'll be left in the dust within a few years.

And having complementary skills in areas that surround your main niche of work is a huge bonus. Being a CSS guru won't mean much unless you have an eye for good design. Knowing the whole the HTML specification by heart won't make much business sense unless you actually follow up on web trends and adjust your work manners accordingly. Being very proficient in C can only get you a job as an operator assigned to tedious tasks, unless you're also somewhat proficient and up to date on the fields in which you're looking to put it to creative use.

az
January 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM
When it comes to software, lawyers make more money than developers pretty much anywhere in the world, today.