PDA

View Full Version : 3D Real time voice forums

moeFinley
January 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Do you ever think these forums and ones like them could work in a more true to life environment?

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Like a video conference?

I don't think the basic method of forums will change.

~LoKe
January 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Do you ever think these forums and ones like them could work in a more true to life environment?

Nope.

Like a video conference?

I don't think the basic method of forums will change.
Back in the Cafe, I see. ;)

browndruid
January 27th, 2008, 12:14 AM
The problem with that idea (which in itself is pretty cool) is the necessary computer resources it would need. Ubuntu is aimed partially at people with really old, minimal computers. Like the kinds you can run without any cooling at all.

Perhaps a section of the forum could be transferred to such a system in the distant future, but there will still be people running old computers with minimal settings. And to only be a certain portion of the forums would be, in a way, a breach of the freedoms on which Ubuntu is built.

moeFinley
January 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
browndruid I was more intrigued with the social aspects. Say if everyone had a teleporter which could take them to an Ubuntu community centre with rooms instead of categories each themed. So for example the community cafe would be a bar where you could just hang out and chat.

If this were the case would you use it? Would you take a print out of your desktop there and hang it on the wall? How many real fights would there be as people discuss Linux/GNU, Novell and Microsoft? Would you take a tape recorder so you could answer all the newbie questions over and over with ease?

It was just a thought I don't see it ever happening.

Scarath
January 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM
maybe just join a LUG for linux+people and leave the forums for linux+internet rants, i doubt the two will merge anytime soon, not without VR

LaRoza
January 27th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Nope.

Back in the Cafe, I see. ;)

You just caught it?

Because of a new development, I am not going to boycott any part of the forum.

browndruid
January 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM
browndruid I was more intrigued with the social aspects. Say if everyone had a teleporter which could take them to an Ubuntu community centre with rooms instead of categories each themed. So for example the community cafe would be a bar where you could just hang out and chat.

If this were the case would you use it? Would you take a print out of your desktop there and hang it on the wall? How many real fights would there be as people discuss Linux/GNU, Novell and Microsoft? Would you take a tape recorder so you could answer all the newbie questions over and over with ease?

It was just a thought I don't see it ever happening.

If something like that happened, despite the sensation of my molecules being ripped apart from one another and sent flying at high speeds to re-form in some amazing coffee house (which is definitely what the new forums would be), I'm sure I would go every opportunity I had.
And as for the print-out of the desktop, I'm sure that in the green future, there would simply be solar-powered OLED (or something better) walls that would simply display rapidly changing screen-shots that you could, of course, stop and look at all the tiny little individual components (themes, icons, window borders), allowing you to download them to your computer, wherever it happens to be.
And the fights! Oh, trendy trendy artists and musicians who are using OS X 10.27 Saber Tooth (they'll have to resort to extinct cats soon enough) will be screaming at the very very very small suit wearing group of Windows users, as the Linux users sit in their fully customizable recycled cardboard chairs and couches, sipping Cabernet and merlot, playing amazing games that run perfectly, much better than on the OS of Beelzebub that they were intended for.
My lord. Sans the teleportation, I think this might happen. Wonderful.

moeFinley
January 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Excellent man, I like it! But who invited the Mac and Windows losers? Can't we get some security at this place?

PS. Can my recycled cardboard chair be a hover recycled cardboard chair?

browndruid
January 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Excellent man, I like it! But who invited the Mac and Windows losers? Can't we get some security at this place?

PS. Can my recycled cardboard chair be a hover recycled cardboard chair?

The OS X and Windows users are people who are being converted. And the chair can hover as long as it's solar/wind/person powered.

aimran
January 28th, 2008, 02:05 AM
There's WoW if you want to hang out and share ideas. Honestly I found a lot of programming ideas whilst talking over guild chat :D!

But realistically, how would you want to do this virtual cafe? Been to the UF channel on freenode and seen how fast the chat moves? It's worse than a trading day at wall street! And to think of it UF already has a half a million registered users.