PDA

View Full Version : Have you played Crysis?

Lster
January 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well the two last games I got were Crysis and Enemy Territory Quake Wars (ETQW). Now they are both great games but I was rather dissapointed by Crysis and surprised by how good ETQW is. It's not just that I can run ETQW better than Crysis, I also think the gameplay is just far more balanced and well-thought-out in ETQW! I actually enjoy Far Cry more than Crysis, I think.

Both games rock, but I am interested in what you think of either or both.

forrestcupp
January 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I tried the Crysis demo on my computer, and the requirements are way too steep. I had my game on pretty low settings just to get it playable. Even on lower settings it looked pretty awesome, though. I haven't played ETQW so I can't really participate in the poll.

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
i like them equaly, aka i hate them both, not my kind of game

red_Marvin
January 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I've played the crysis demo on my brother's computer and own etqw, and I also like the original far-cry better. But I'm more of a battlefield guy, so etqw it is for me, if you frag/get fragged by insom -that's me

Hells_Dark
January 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yep, i finished Crysis.
That's the 8 hours i used my Vista for 6 months ^^

And ETQW is not bad either.

Lster
January 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I've played the crysis demo on my brother's computer and own etqw, and I also like the original far-cry better. But I'm more of a battlefield guy, so etqw it is for me, if you frag/get fragged by insom -that's me

I'll watch out for you! ;) My name is Lster on there same as here.

Yep, i finished Crysis.
That's the 8 hours i used my Vista for 6 months ^^

And ETQW is not bad either.

Yes, I have got to say games are the only thing Vista is left for. I wanted a longer singleplayer in Crysis and without giving too much away to others that may play, I thought the ending sucked!

zero-9376
January 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I haven't played ETQW but I will say that I was very disapointed with crysis. I was able to run through the openning sequence (up to the guy dangling by the parachute) on medium plus a couple of high settings at 1280x960, from then on as it got more intense I had to progressively turn down the settings till i reached 800x600 with everything low. The game still looked pretty damn good but I was very disappointed considering that I dont think my system is bad and it was supposed to be scalable. For me HL2 EP2 came pretty close to crysis (although without the awesome destructable environment) and I was able to run that at 1680x1050 and its apparently optimised for ati where crysis is for nvidia. Whats more I found HL2 the better game for the same reason that i enjoyed farcry more than crysis, it had an engaging and interesting storyline. To me crysis was VERY boring although it may be partialy because I played it as a standard shooter where others have commented that it is better when you use the environment more but the underlying storyline is the same and I found it lacking. The entire level inside the 'ship' was an excellent example of how this game is both good and bad, it looks fantastic (especially with higher settings) but it was infuriatingly boring to play through.

The technical excellence of crysis can't be ignored which is why I went back and watched/played a couple of bits again with higher (and by that i mean medium) settings including the end sequence but for me it wasn't one of those games that I will be playing through again, well until the sequel is released.

Sys Specs: XP Pro 32bit, P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB DDR, 8600GT

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 04:45 PM
My experience with singleplayer crysis overall was fairly good. My PC could run very high at ~20 fps, which is just BARELY playable. :D It's one of the few single player games I actually played from start to end. However, the multiplayer just plain sucks. And that's where ETQW is better for me. Ofcourse being native linux is a big plus as well.

Lster
January 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
zero-9376:

I think you nailed why Crysis isn't as good as say Far Cry. Far Cry's plot was involving the graphics maxed were 9and still are) fantastic and the scope and broadness of the game made me want to play it so much I have no played through it on realistic difficulty excess of three times!

The only other game I've played that much was No One Lives Forever (NOLF) and possibly NOLF 2. Anyone played them? I got mine on Amazon for about £10 so it is cheap and I would recommend it to anyone who likes non-linear gameplay, although it's quite old looking now.

Mateo
January 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i've heard that Crysis is stunningly beautiful, but that the gameplay is ordinary. Haven't played or heard much about Quake Wars. Is there a linux version like there often is with ID games?

Gigamo
January 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
i've heard that Crysis is stunningly beautiful, but that the gameplay is ordinary. Haven't played or heard much about Quake Wars. Is there a linux version like there often is with ID games?

Yup, there's a native linux client for it. And it runs wonderfully well. Better than on windows.

el_ricardo
January 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM
i've got as far as playing the demo for crysis, and i loved it, just waiting for a new graphics card so i can actually play it and appreciate it properly