PDA

View Full Version : .png's in gallery

Freddy
September 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
I've come to noticed the strange fact that our gallery don't show some png files correct. I tried a while ago to post a screenshot of my desktop, taken in 1280x1024 and when it scaled down the size in the middle preview, it didn't show colors right.

When I took a new one using a .jpg instead, still in 1280x1024 it was showing just fine in all the three sizes. This phenomenon I've only noticed in our Ubuntu gallery no other.

Maybe something that need a lookover ?

/// Freddan

void_false
September 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM
Didnt u think about poor dialuppers? Ubuntuforum reduses thumbnail quality for better download speed.

ubuntu-geek
September 21st, 2005, 06:09 PM
Correct, if you click on the thumbnail it should show the correct none scaled down version. I did upgrade the gallery software the other day so if it doesn't we might have a bug.. hrm..

Freddy
September 21st, 2005, 07:19 PM
I don't use any .png files here in our ubuntu gallery so I can't show you any of mine but this problem seems to be common in the gallery though and it's not the thumbnails I mean. It's the 400 x 300 version scaled down from the original size.

Look at this .png file in the KDE section, http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=910&c=3 to show what I mean, this effect can be seen on many pictures in both gnome and KDE section. If you click at the pic :) and watch it in the original size it's shown as it suppose to. /// Freddan

void_false
September 21st, 2005, 09:05 PM
Anyway I think about it as a feature rather than bug. :roll:

Freddy
September 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM
You believe the fact that the forum of one of the most open sourced linux distros can't even render .png files properly and you have to used propery licensed extension .jpg for it to show correctly, is a feature?. Well we differs in our opinions and I belive that this should be fixed somehow, if it's at all possible. A gallery isn't all that importent, just fun to have. /// Freddan

kassetra
September 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
You believe the fact that the forum of one of the most open sourced linux distros can't even render .png files properly and you have to used propery licensed extension .jpg for it to show correctly, is a feature?. Well we differs in our opinions and I belive that this should be fixed somehow, if it's at all possible. A gallery isn't all that importent, just fun to have. /// Freddan

I think void_false was just joking - it's somewhat of a common joke that whenever some software companies have complaints of a "bug" ... instead of fixing it, they call it a "feature" - so I do not believe void_false was being serious.

We're looking into it - as ubuntu-geek said, we recently upgraded the gallery software, so it could very easily be a bug in the new software.

Freddy
September 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah he was probaly joking and I hope he will excuse me for sounding harsh, it wasn't with intent.
This bug has been in the gallery since I first installed Kubuntu about 4 months ago. This picture is from 07-15-2005, the thumbnail and the scaled down 400x300 preview .png picture is distorted, the original 1024x768 picture renders okey as allways. Well now I'm done with this issue and I leave it in your competent hands.

Btw now when I got some mod's and admin's attention, thanks for a great forum, you have all done a amazing job, thanks. /// Freddan

void_false
September 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
How many M$ workres do you need to screw a bulb? Zero - they will declare darkness as new standard.

:grin:

Freddy
September 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
I'm swedish, so I don't have a sense of humor :). Btw half the year darkness is standard here. /// Freddan