PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Distro or BSD?

DarkZyzx
January 26th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I like to use linux for the cool effects and speed. I need a fast, fun to mess with and tweak, easy to use and understandable controls, choosable DE, and lots of applications/packages that are easy to use.
I'm using a couple year old PC computer with decent but not great ram (512 MB), 320 GB HDD, and Intel Pentium 4 Processor. :popcorn:
Oh, and I'm using Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu installed. (Mainly use the Xfce DE)
Anyways, what would be the best linux distro for me, besides Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu/Gobuntu. (If there are any other Ubuntu derivatives you know of, go ahead and list those too) Or if you think a BSD would be better for me, list the best ones.

thnx :guitar:

P.S. If you know anything about the Apple Darwin Open Source Code, please tell me about it. :confused:

Lostincyberspace
January 26th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I really like Linux Mint it is based off ubuntu.

-grubby
January 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM
You missed a Ubuntu derivative : Fluxbuntu. Also, could you please tell how much RAM you have?

hhhhhx
January 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
i'd say mint :)

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 08:36 AM
well if youre pretty fluent in the *buntu id say go for a differnt based os, my vote is for PCLinuxOS

fuscia
January 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
in case you haven't found it yet, there is an 'other OS' forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147

and, in case you don't know, there are a lot of distros that supply livecd versions (enabling you to test a distro without having to install it). of course, there can be a performance difference between a livecd and an installation.

justin111
January 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM
choosing a linux distro is like peoples favorite color there is no "best distro" it all boils down to personal prefrence i have been "distro shopping" for almost 3 months and i still havent decided. should i get GNOME or KDE or Enlightenment do i want RPM or APT do i want to go full free open source style or use propriety software too it all comes down to personel oppion taste and prefrence.

rosegarden78
January 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I like to use linux for the cool effects and speed. I need a fast, fun to mess with and tweak, easy to use and understandable controls, choosable DE, and lots of applications/packages that are easy to use.
I'm using a couple year old PC computer with decent but not great ram (512 MB), 320 GB HDD, and Intel Pentium 4 Processor. :popcorn:
Oh, and I'm using Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu installed. (Mainly use the Xfce DE)
Anyways, what would be the best linux distro for me, besides Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu/Gobuntu. (If there are any other Ubuntu derivatives you know of, go ahead and list those too) Or if you think a BSD would be better for me, list the best ones.

I use the setup (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677959) described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385981). You can try OpenSuse they have LiveCD and LiveDVD supported by Novell.

HermanAB
January 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM
That, is the question.

bufsabre666
January 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
That, is the question.

well i think this is the wrong thread for that but of those my vote is emac ;)

sailor2001
January 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I really like Linux Mint it is based off ubuntu.

+1